Scarisbrook Marina

Nightwatch

Featured Posts

Of the two marinas at Rufford, moorers at St. Mary's used to regard Fettlers as the dark side. Apparently those days are past and people report good things of both. Can't speak from personal experience though. Rufford has a train line (north/south) wheras Scarisbrick doesn't, but since you have transport, maybe not so important.

• Happy 1

9 hours ago, Psychalist said:

Of the two marinas at Rufford, moorers at St. Mary's used to regard Fettlers as the dark side. Apparently those days are past and people report good things of both. Can't speak from personal experience though. Rufford has a train line (north/south) wheras Scarisbrick doesn't, but since you have transport, maybe not so important.

Thank you. I take it St Mary’s is on the left hand side of the Ruffird. I thought it was the same Marina both sides. 

Obvious issue with St Mary's and fettlers is the locks to navigate everytime you want to go for a cruise, which put me off. If your looking for a winter lay up that might not be a concern. 

My boat is currently being blacked in Scarisbrick and it seems nice enough and people i know who moor or have moored there found it OK. Although they weren't too keen on GRP boats, purely on the basis of getting more money from a full length boat  I think.

Its quite secure if that's important to you.  

• Happy 1

47 minutes ago, jonathanA said:

Obvious issue with St Mary's and fettlers is the locks to navigate everytime you want to go for a cruise, which put me off. If your looking for a winter lay up that might not be a concern. 

My boat is currently being blacked in Scarisbrick and it seems nice enough and people i know who moor or have moored there found it OK. Although they weren't too keen on GRP boats, purely on the basis of getting more money from a full length boat  I think.

Its quite secure if that's important to you.  

Thank you for that.

We spent a few days at Fettlers last summer, and found it a very friendly community. The management is somewhat shambolic - but in a nice way!

Visited St Mary's for fuel, and they were very friendly and helpful too.

Adjacent railway station (Ormskirk-Preston line) is a bonus.

We bought our first boat in 2003 and it was one of the first boats to move into Fettlers Wharf when it opened - coincidentally I was born in Rufford.

Alan Mawdsley developed it with his son Daniel. After a few years they built Scarisbrick as well and we moved there - the flight of locks from Rufford to Burscough drove us mad after a while. 2.5 hours each way which made short breaks maddeningly frustrating. Although further away from Wigan and the main network Scarisbrick is about 1.5 hours quicker and it’s well placed for short trips into  Liverpool.

Alan subsequently sold Fettlers and he died a couple of years ago. Scarisbrick is now well managed by Daniel and his sister Sarah.

On location Rufford has the advantage of a station right next to it but it is a single track branch line with limited service and nothing on Sundays. The Hesketh Arms is about half a mile away in the village.

Scarisbrick used to have the Red Lion pub next door but it’s been a curry house for a good while now. The Morris Dancers pub is about half a mile away but it’s not great (although to be honest I haven’t been in for years). The marina is half way between Southport and Ormskirk and on the bus route.

• Greenie 1