Plugged in electric boating

David Mack

Featured Posts

7 minutes ago, Crewcut said:

One of those mistakes it's okay to make once (and I certainly have). More than once it's time to read The Checklist Manifesto, continually it might be time to hand the keys in...

A laminated copy of this lies on the instrument panel along side the ignition keys.

Works for both departure and arrivals.

Screenshot (1644).png

• Greenie 2

My 1950s Ford Pop - E93A (?).  Had a DIY job of blanking plate on the radiator with a 6" dia hose running back into the footwell, might have had a fan as well.  Front screen heater was an mini electric bar heater on suction cups,  Rear screen heater was a stick on jobby.  I remember a wooden clothes peg was an essential piece of kit but not sure what for!

2 minutes ago, CIEL said:

My 1950s Ford Pop - E93A (?).  Had a DIY job of blanking plate on the radiator with a 6" dia hose running back into the footwell, might have had a fan as well.  Front screen heater was an mini electric bar heater on suction cups,  Rear screen heater was a stick on jobby.  I remember a wooden clothes peg was an essential piece of kit but not sure what for!

Lol, those were the days. We all moan now if the air con needs a charge 🤣

35 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Lol, those were the days. We all moan now if the air con needs a charge 🤣

Yep cars have come a long way. I know a guy with a 1929 Austin 12.....he sometimes drives it to work in the summer months. I was horrified when he told me it has drum brakes on the back axle only 😳.....fine back in the day but very dicey in modern traffic.  

41 minutes ago, booke23 said:

Yep cars have come a long way. I know a guy with a 1929 Austin 12.....he sometimes drives it to work in the summer months. I was horrified when he told me it has drum brakes on the back axle only 😳.....fine back in the day but very dicey in modern traffic.  

I had a 26 Chevrolet superior tourer, wooden artillery wheels, 3 litre overhead valve engine could do 70 mph with just drum brakes on the rear wheels! Very scary, but I drove from Consett to Aldershot in it, then up to Scotland later, back down to West Moors Dorset, holiday around Cornwall, then up to Sheffield! Brilliant car had to oil the valves daily via a felt pad happy days

• Horror 1

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

You could buy an after market electric one to mound in the footwell 

image.png.0d0f71be52fa174afa344cce403cf61d.png

I remember my dad fitting a heater to his Triumph TR2.  Two little tin doors which could be opened into the footwell.  I can't remember whether there was an electric fan.

It was one luxury after another.  The TR had replaced a car that had no roof, neither soft nor hard.  I don't know if it was ever so equipped, but certainly not by the time it reached us.  When I grumbled about getting wet, the only response was that I was not alone.

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

Edited by Tacet

23 minutes ago, peterboat said:

I had a 26 Chevrolet superior tourer, wooden artillery wheels, 3 litre overhead valve engine could do 70 mph with just drum brakes on the rear wheels! Very scary, but I drove from Consett to Aldershot in it, then up to Scotland later, back down to West Moors Dorset, holiday around Cornwall, then up to Sheffield! Brilliant car had to oil the valves daily via a felt pad happy days

My 28 Standard had bloomin cable brakes. A sod to set up so it didnt pull to one side lol. They were on all four wheels though.

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

My 28 Standard had bloomin cable brakes. A sod to set up so it didnt pull to one side lol. They were on all four wheels though.

Rods and levers on the Chevrolet the handbrake was internal and the foot brake external, you used both for an emergency stop! A anchor would have been better :(

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Rods and levers on the Chevrolet the handbrake was internal and the foot brake external, you used both for an emergency stop! A anchor would have been better :(

Actualy I dont know why I typed cable? They were rods, must have been a brain phaart lol.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

Actualy I dont know why I typed cable? They were rods, must have been a brain phaart lol.

Age Tim, I had no fuel gauge and the speedo only went up to 30 mph!! Got pulled doing 68 mph by copper in a 60 limit, he was having trouble keeping a straight face, especially when I told him I was doing 30 as that's all the speedo went to! :lol:

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Yep HRW was heated rear window in the advert lol. We used to buy them in the 70s and 80s from Motorist discount centres and stick them to the rear window inside lol.

Smith's stick on rear window heater. If you could get customer to leave the car overnight so screen was nice and warm, then they could be a bugger to stick on. As soon as your hands got near the glass the condensation would start to form. Often had to bung a fan heater inside for 1/2 hour first.

Edited by pearley
  • Greenie 2

I remember driving before windscreen washers appeared on cars. I used to have an old chamois leather  kept wet in a poly bag and I used to have to stop and get out and wipe the windscreen clean several times when driving in Glasgow. The roads must have been muckier then than they are now.  I was driving a Ford Thames 5cwt van. 

Edited by haggis
added a bit!

16 minutes ago, haggis said:

I remember driving before windscreen washers appeared on cars. I used to have an old chamois leather  kept wet in a poly bag and I used to have to stop and get out and wipe the windscreen clean several times when driving in Glasgow. The roads must have been muckier then than they are now.  I was driving a Ford Thames 5cwt van. 

You are proper old ;)

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Many years ago some one was telling me how fantastic the set of tools that came with their brand new Lada were. Everything needed to fix the car by the side of the road whenever it broke down. He didn't seem to see the necessity of a comprehensive tool kit as a down side at all!

Many years ago my dad had a Lada🚗 that I used service. One day, for fun, I decided to give it a full service using only the provided tool kit. OK, it took longer but I did it without touching any other tools.

• Greenie 2

13 hours ago, CIEL said:

The clothes peg would have been to hold the choke knob out. The friction 'grip' always failed.   

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

You are proper old ;)

Possibly 🙂 . That Fort Thames van was my sisters which she had left at the farm when she went to live in Italy. I "looked after " it.  I then bought my own set of wheels a mini van which at £387 was the cheapest thing on 4 wheels (apart for the 2cvs). It had its own idiosyncracies and one was that the wiper sometimes cleaned the bonnet instead of the window. Something to do with splines, I think!  Motoring was much more fun then although I do like the comfort of my present car - a Kia Sorrento. 

2 minutes ago, haggis said:

Possibly 🙂 . That Fort Thames van was my sisters which she had left at the farm when she went to live in Italy. I "looked after " it.  I then bought my own set of wheels a mini van which at £387 was the cheapest thing on 4 wheels (apart for the 2cvs). It had its own idiosyncracies and one was that the wiper sometimes cleaned the bonnet instead of the window. Something to do with splines, I think!  Motoring was much more fun then although I do like the comfort of my present car - a Kia Sorrento. 

I remember owning an old Ford?? I think that the windscreen wipers used to go faster and faster as the car slowed down, but slower as the car sped up lol. iirc something to do with being run from the engine manifold pressure or summat?? bloody awful 🤣

41 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I remember owning an old Ford?? I think that the windscreen wipers used to go faster and faster as the car slowed down, but slower as the car sped up lol. iirc something to do with being run from the engine manifold pressure or summat?? bloody awful 🤣

Yes! Powered from the vacuum in the intake manifold.....the vacuum drops the more open the throttle is open so the wipers slowed.  

• Greenie 1

16 hours ago, Tacet said:

I remember my dad fitting a heater to his Triumph TR2.  Two little tin doors which could be opened into the footwell.  I can't remember whether there was an electric fan.

It was one luxury after another.  The TR had replaced a car that had no roof, neither soft nor hard.  I don't know if it was ever so equipped, but certainly not by the time it reached us.  When I grumbled about getting wet, the only response was that I was not alone.

Made by Smiths, should have had a fan and a variable speed control knob. Fitted as extra on many old vehicles, Land Rovers for example.

3 hours ago, booke23 said:

Yes! Powered from the vacuum in the intake manifold.....the vacuum drops the more open the throttle is open so the wipers slowed.  

The more expensive Mk1 and M2 Consul, Zephyrs and Zodiac also had vacuum wipers but with a vacuum reservoir tank to keep the wipers going when accellerating. We sometimes fitted them to the cheaper E93a, ect.    I forgot the Fraud E83w,  100e, 300e and 400e also had vaccum wipers.

Edited by bizzard

1 minute ago, bizzard said:

The more expensive Mk1 and M2 Consul, Zephyrs and Zodiac also had vacuum wipers but with a vacuum reservoir tank to keep the wipers going when accellerating. We sometimes

16 hours ago, peterboat said:

Age Tim, I had no fuel gauge and the speedo only went up to 30 mph!! Got pulled doing 68 mph by copper in a 60 limit, he was having trouble keeping a straight face, especially when I told him I was doing 30 as that's all the speedo went to! :lol:

fitted them to the cheaper E93a, ect.

Standards from about 1936 to the late 1940's had cable brakes, Standard 8, 10, 12, 14 and 16.

4 hours ago, booke23 said:

My ford 100e had them. Great when you were overtaking a lorry in the rain. Foot hard down (all you could do with 36 bhp) wipers ran out of suck ,ease off to get one sweep of the wiper, foot back down and pray. Even worse in the dark with two 36 watt headlight bulbs.😇

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

My series e 1946 that I used in the 80s didnt have one lol. 

Musnt forget to add that my 1928 Standard, pre flying 12 didnt have one either lol.

Yes, my Morris Minor (split screen) had a Smiths heater installed, but no instructions, I used to wear wellies lined with straw and fill a hot water bottle on a long journey I seem to think I had to open the driver's windows as the screen soon misted up and then froze.

Edited by LadyG