Plugged in electric boating

David Mack

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

I did that once. Didn't even get 3.5m, let alone 350. Destroyed the electrical bollard! Very embarrassing.

There is an easy way round that. My boat had a gadget fitted that would not allow the engine to start whilst plugged in to the shore line. 

• Happy 1

4 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

I did that once. Didn't even get 3.5m, let alone 350. Destroyed the electrical bollard! Very embarrassing.

The last marina I moored in, the guy next to me did that......the bollard was out of service for months and the marina charged him £500 to fix it! 

• Horror 1

13 minutes ago, booke23 said:

The last marina I moored in, the guy next to me did that......the bollard was out of service for months and the marina charged him £500 to fix it! 

Hence needing the gadget fitting to stop it happening. My Hudson had it fitted as standard and that was twenty years ago so why its not standard on everything now is quite strange. Can you remember the car adverts a few years ago that said HRW lol, find a car without one now or for many years. ( We used to fit our own from MDC ) 

Edited by mrsmelly
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, booke23 said:

Fortunately, all the bollards were due to be renewed soon, so they just replaced it with a spare. I was told in no uncertain terms not to do the same to one of the new ones, or I would be charged!

• Happy 1

12 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Hence needing the gadget fitting to stop it happening. My Hudson had it fitted as standard and that was twenty years ago so why its not standard on everything now is quite strange. Can you remember the car adverts a few years ago that said HRW lol, find a car without one now or for many years. ( We used to fit our own from MDC ) 

I remember back in '85 my gran bought a brand new Austin Metro.....she had to pay extra for the rear wiper and heated rear window as they were optional extras! She still had change out of £5k though.  

24 minutes ago, booke23 said:

I remember back in '85 my gran bought a brand new Austin Metro.....she had to pay extra for the rear wiper and heated rear window as they were optional extras! She still had change out of £5k though.  

Yep HRW was heated rear window in the advert lol. We used to buy them in the 70s and 80s from Motorist discount centres and stick them to the rear window inside lol.

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

But, surely yu remember that Ladas were fitted (as standard) with a HRW

To keep your hands warm when you were pushing it !!!

Many years ago some one was telling me how fantastic the set of tools that came with their brand new Lada were. Everything needed to fix the car by the side of the road whenever it broke down. He didn't seem to see the necessity of a comprehensive tool kit as a down side at all!

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Many years ago some one was telling me how fantastic the set of tools that came with their brand new Lada were. Everything needed to fix the car by the side of the road whenever it broke down. He didn't seem to see the necessity of a comprehensive tool kit as a down side at all!

So true. I remember in the 70s thinking people were daft who bought Japanese cars as their spare parts were much more expensive than good old BMC etc, stuff. A starter moter was 20 quid exchange for instance for a maestro but nearly forty quid for a Datsun. However, I soon realised that instead of a near on yearly change of whatever on a BMC or Ford for instance, people who owned Japanese cars very rarely needed spares as they didnt go wrong anywhere near as often lol.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

So true. I remember in the 70s thinking people were daft who bought Japanese cars as their spare parts were much more expensive than good old BMC etc, stuff. A starter moter was 20 quid exchange for instance for a maestro but nearly forty quid for a Datsun. However, I soon realised that instead of a near on yearly change of whatever on a BMC or Ford for instance, people who owned Japanese cars very rarely needed spares as they didnt go wrong anywhere near as often lol.

A bit like the Lithium V Lead acid battery debate, you mean?

• Greenie 1

14 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

A bit like the Lithium V Lead acid battery debate, you mean?

No. Lithium are vastly more expensive and need to be kept warm and all other such nonsense. Are not as readily available and can prove more dangerous if installed wrongly. Lead acid work very very well and are cheap and do a brilliant job. The only problem with lead acid is " Some " boaters ruin them through misuse, those who understand them properly have no problem ;)

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Never mind heated rear windows, when I bought my first car some of the older ones were advertised as having a heater... 🤣😂

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

One of those mistakes it's okay to make once (and I certainly have). More than once it's time to read The Checklist Manifesto, continually it might be time to hand the keys in...

31 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Never mind heated rear windows, when I bought my first car some of the older ones were advertised as having a heater... 🤣😂

My series e 1946 that I used in the 80s didnt have one lol. 

Musnt forget to add that my 1928 Standard, pre flying 12 didnt have one either lol.

41 minutes ago, cuthound said:

You could buy an after market electric one to mound in the footwell 

image.png.0d0f71be52fa174afa344cce403cf61d.png

Edited by ditchcrawler