Deck boards

Featured Posts

53 minutes ago, Northener said:

I need to replace the deck boards on a cruiser stern NB. Based on the Thames in Lechlade. 
Any recommendations for materials to use and companies who can supply and fit?

How bad are the ones you now have? Can you fit them in an available vehicle? If so it will be probably be an easier solution to take them to a suuplier with a saw who can cut them to size for you in one hit, I have done that before. I like Hexaboard/Phenolic ply personaly, always seal the cut edges with polyurethene varnish or somett.

• Greenie 3
  • Happy 1

53 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

18mm hexaboard is the stuff. We used it on our cruiser stern nearly ten years ago, and it's still going strong. 

Health warning: it's cringingly expensive -- about £132 for a 2500mm by 1250mm sheet. Best to get it cut professionally. 

Thanks for that. Some sense amongst all the rubbish from people from the wrong side of the Pennines. 

1 hour ago, Machpoint005 said:

18mm hexaboard is the stuff. We used it on our cruiser stern nearly ten years ago, and it's still going strong. 

Health warning: it's cringingly expensive -- about £132 for a 2500mm by 1250mm sheet. Best to get it cut professionally. 

£147 + vat at my supplier. I paid £86 pre covid.

• Horror 1

In case you find something that looks like Hexagrip but comes from somewhere well known for oriental takeaway food or Royal Navy Ships' laundrymen, tread carefully. I bought some for cratch bench seating and the laminations were full of dodgy overlaps and voids. I got a further big discount making it reasonable value in a lightweight application in the dry, but for deck boards it would have been a definite no-no. You get what you pay for here, it seems.

35 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

In case you find something that looks like Hexagrip but comes from somewhere well known for oriental takeaway food or Royal Navy Ships' laundrymen, tread carefully. I bought some for cratch bench seating and the laminations were full of dodgy overlaps and voids. I got a further big discount making it reasonable value in a lightweight application in the dry, but for deck boards it would have been a definite no-no. You get what you pay for here, it seems.

You are so right.

I once stupidly bought some bargain board from my local woodyard who told me ' its exactly the same stuff -just without the picture printed on it'.

Nearly lasted the winter before delaminating.  😀