Bournville Moorings

SandyD

Featured Posts

Hi all,

We are thinking of movng up to Bourneville for Christmas to vist relatives, I can see that there are vistor moorings near visitor moorings near the railway station. Any advice or anywhere near there reccomened near there to moor?

Thanks

Sandy

We moored for 2 weeks  just by the railway station earlier this year and it was fine, there often a fair few people around and lights from the station which perhaps gives some security if you are leaving your boat there for long. Convenient for a few shops, Cadburys World and of course the station. 

The secure offside mooring only take a couple of boats.  Not the nicest area, it is right on the edge of Bourneville rather then being in the main part, which is nice.  I would personally not choose to stop there, even if you could get on the offside moorings (often CM'ers on there), and I certainly would not stop overnight on the towpath.  There are always boats moored at the Vale (south of the winding hole), that would be a better bet personally, but why not moor in the the centre of Birmingham, you can easily get a train to Bournville if you want.

1 hour ago, Stroudwater1 said:

We moored for 2 weeks  just by the railway station earlier this year and it was fine, there often a fair few people around and lights from the station which perhaps gives some security if you are leaving your boat there for long. Convenient for a few shops, Cadburys World and of course the station. 

If you have children CWorld is for you but they used to have a real museum round the side, how Cadbury made chocolate when it actual was made there, and long before Peter Cadbury cashed in

. Hot drinks like Bournvita and Cocoa, when Horlicks was owned by James Horlicks, and the Ovalteenies were real children.

Edited by LadyG

52 minutes ago, Kendorr said:

I had an overnight stay just outside the station earlier this year. Apart from the noise from the trains, it was a nice spot to moor.

So have I but the trains start early in the morning, before 6am and run until late at night. It use to be a problem mooring towpath side as the local scrouts worked out people would be at Cadbury World for a few hours so they could do the boats over. Hence the moorings behind a locked gate opposite. I have not heard any reports of break-ins there in the last few years. 

50 minutes ago, Laurie Booth said:

I always moor opposite. Good chippy and Chinese takeaway near by :)

May have changed a bit since you was last there?

Just had a look on google maps and still shows this as it was (loads of portacabins)

FB_IMG_1667859877618.jpg

Edited by PaulJ

22 minutes ago, PaulJ said:

Just had a look on google maps and still shows this as it was (loads of portacabins)

FB_IMG_1667859877618.jpg

Changed dramatically! Even since the Spring (we came bask, stopping there, late October. All of the current work seems finished.

Although it looks like a good mooring, it is a bit more of a hike to Sainsburys than the above pic might suggest! We moored in the established place just the other side of Selly Oak bridge.

I did wonder what the long term will be for the moorings as it is really a turning circle for entry into the Dudley canal when the first section from here is completed.

30 minutes ago, PaulJ said:

FB_IMG_1667859877618.jpg

Is this Bournville moorings? I think I meant to say Bournville :)

Edited by Laurie Booth

13 minutes ago, Laurie Booth said:

Is this Bournville moorings? I think I meant to say Bournville :)

No that picture is of Selly Oak where there is a new winding hole for when the Dudley No 2 is restored there.  There are mooring bollards in the winding hole.

24 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Although it looks like a good mooring, it is a bit more of a hike to Sainsburys than the above pic might suggest! We moored in the established place just the other side of Selly Oak bridge.

Footbridge is only about hundred or so yards away behind the boat that takes you to Sainsburys- you must dislike walking even more than me 😀

19 hours ago, john6767 said:

The secure offside mooring only take a couple of boats.  Not the nicest area, it is right on the edge of Bourneville rather then being in the main part, which is nice.  I would personally not choose to stop there, even if you could get on the offside moorings (often CM'ers on there), and I certainly would not stop overnight on the towpath.  There are always boats moored at the Vale (south of the winding hole), that would be a better bet personally, but why not moor in the the centre of Birmingham, you can easily get a train to Bournville if you want.

I agree, I’ve never felt it’s looked like a nice place to stop over and prefer to stay in the centre of Brum.

The off side moorings have always been occupied when I’ve passed.

3 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

Changed dramatically! Even since the Spring (we came bask, stopping there, late October. All of the current work seems finished.

I did wonder what the long term will be for the moorings as it is really a turning circle for entry into the Dudley canal when the first section from here is completed.

This was July this year image.png.11dcb28b71beeacb4a6438d3b8bc5657.png

4 hours ago, PaulJ said:

I was wondering why youd want to moor on the other side..😀

I thought Bourneville Mooring usually refers to the locked offside place opposite the factory and station.

At Selly Oak, there are no mooring facilities on the Sainsbury side, other than going past the road bridge to the well-established stopping place. These now opposite S are new and part of the project to enable access to the former Dudley Canal - all part of the development deal (bribe!). 

Was not immediately clear whether we could get across via the footbridge until I looked at Google later. In any event, it is still rather further to get into the store than one might want - we usually go via the car park under the store.