Leigh Branch. Mooring Dover Bridge

Nightwatch

Featured Posts

50 minutes ago, David Mack said:

What sort of boater doesn't check all the paddles first? You only need one paddle at each end to be working to get through, albeit slower than normal.

The Top Lock at Wigan is ground paddles only due to the amount of weed at the top.  If the gate paddles get used, the weed jams the baffles in the head gates and stops the flight again.

There are signs informing boaters of this, but maybe people don't read them because they are blue ones ...

8 hours ago, Pagefield said:

Just to clarify, the person you spoke to on site was a member of staff, not a volunteer. 

Were you operating a keb when I spoke to what I thought was a volockie. No uniform visable.

On 05/11/2022 at 11:46, Rob-M said:

Did they close the Wigan flight early, only stoppage notice I could see said Monday.

Lock 87 (Wigan Flight Bottom Lock)

Detail

From Date: 07/11/2022 08:00

To Date: 16/12/2022 16:00 inclusive

Type: Navigation Closure

Reason: Repair

Is the towpath closed? No

Am I misunderstanding what you are referring to? 

5 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

The Top Lock at Wigan is ground paddles only due to the amount of weed at the top.  If the gate paddles get used, the weed jams the baffles in the head gates and stops the flight again.

There are signs informing boaters of this, but maybe people don't read them because they are blue ones ...

I was told that they were locked because if they were used it floods someone's cellar or something like that.

They used to have a 'BW aware faulty' notice on them (and it was BW I'm going back 10+ years) haven't seen the blue notices but sounds like a useful one if that's not an oxymoron.

7 hours ago, Donny85 said:

I believe the key to the gate paddle locks at the top of this flight are located within a key secure box affixed to inside of the fence at the customer waste facility (just over the bridge). The pin to the key box I’m told is a combination of the last two lock numbers on the flight. The idea being we can unlock if no one is around.

Beware though, a friend of friend said they set off slightly earlier than 10am (an hour earlier) only to be reprimanded on reaching the bottom.  There are sensors somewhere on the flight which can recognise changes in water levels when someone’s using the flight, so best only set off within the published opening times.

I'm sorry to have to tell you this but the sentence in bold is pure fantasy and the second one is mostly so. 

48 minutes ago, jonathanA said:

I was told that they were locked because if they were used it floods someone's cellar or something like that.

They used to have a 'BW aware faulty' notice on them (and it was BW I'm going back 10+ years) haven't seen the blue notices but sounds like a useful one if that's not an oxymoron.

They have been padlocked for three years now to stop the ingress of floating pennywort. The leakage into the cellar used to occur if the lock was left full but grouting of the lock chamber and lock landings early this year resolved that.

1 hour ago, Nightwatch said:

Were you operating a keb when I spoke to what I thought was a volockie. No uniform visable.

I was at home at the time eating breakfast and watching things unfold on here.  I made a few phone calls prior to posting, to check that the flight wasn't closed yesterday and today.  I then asked had you checked if the ground paddles were unlocked.   I can really sympathise with your frustration when dealing with customer services.  Do be aware that lock 87 is closed tomorrow.

3 minutes ago, Pagefield said:

I was at home at the time eating breakfast and watching things unfold on here.  I made a few phone calls prior to posting, to check that the flight wasn't closed yesterday and today.  I then asked had you checked if the ground paddles were unlocked.   I can really sympathise with your frustration when dealing with customer services.  Do be aware that lock 87 is closed tomorrow.

IMG_20221009_140141_941 (1).jpg

7 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

IMG_20221009_140141_941 (1).jpg

1 hour ago, Pagefield said:

Thank you for explaining stuff far better than anyone I have spoken to on the phone and the chap I spoke to at the summit of the flight this morning.

24 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Thank you for explaining stuff far better than anyone I have spoken to on the phone and the chap I spoke to at the summit of the flight this morning.

You're welcome.  I must admit that trying to get one's head around the various updates and notifications about stoppages and such, can be like wading through treacle.  A pain at the best of times, but when Winter closures are imminent rather more vital.

Thanks for all the comments. As we entered the bottom lock we decided what to do.

We are presently in Crooke. Probably spending Christmas in Burscough as we did 6 years ago. Difference being we have a car available this time.

On 05/11/2022 at 21:55, Nightwatch said:

15 minute walk to Preston BUS station. Train from Preston to Burnley.

We live near Preston and have found out that ALL the Eastbound busses running over the road bridge at the North end of Preston railway station stop there and will take you to the bus station. You won't have to wait long for one to come along.

6 minutes ago, davidb said:

We live near Preston and have found out that ALL the Eastbound busses running over the road bridge at the North end of Preston railway station stop there and will take you to the bus station. You won't have to wait long for one to come along.

Thank you. This was last Saturday. All in the past now. All sorted. But the country is a mess. Which ever way you turn there is disputes, shortages and financial ruin on the cards.

I fear for the future if things continue as they are.

Edited by Nightwatch

Just returned to the boat after being away for six days.

Some scrote has attempted to break in, both at the back and via the from doors. Caused some damage but wasn’t successful. 

We are moored across from the Crooke Hall Inn on the tow path side. Just a heads up.

• Sad 2

36 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Just returned to the boat after being away for six days.

Some scrote has attempted to break in, both at the back and via the from doors. Caused some damage but wasn’t successful. 

We are moored across from the Crooke Hall Inn on the tow path side. Just a heads up.

Sorry to hear that. I've moored there a few times before without issue but never left the boat unattended overnight. 

I have been told by someone that this is a fairly regular and known occurrence. The chap who told me that it is known locally that as Crooke Marina is one where you don’t require a licence the lady that owns/runs it is not particular who gives her money, therefore it is suspected that the scrote(s) are quite probably from there. This is what I have been told, not my opinion, but possible I suppose.

This is just for information. We have moved from there.

2 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

I have been told by someone that this is a fairly regular and known occurrence. The chap who told me that it is known locally that as Crooke Marina is one where you don’t require a licence the lady that owns/runs it is not particular who gives her money, therefore it is suspected that the scrote(s) are quite probably from there. This is what I have been told, not my opinion, but possible I suppose.

This is just for information. We have moved from there.

At least two of the boats in Crooke Hall marina are owned by good friends of mine. I'm pretty sure they would be more than happy to discuss this with you.

7 hours ago, Gallyleigho said:

At least two of the boats in Crooke Hall marina are owned by good friends of mine. I'm pretty sure they would be more than happy to discuss this with you.

Your friends who moor in the Marina could of course discuss with the chap who told me his opinion. I’m just the messenger. I have no idea who did this. Police are aware of the incident. Let them sort it, when they have the time of course.

15 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Your friends who moor in the Marina could of course discuss with the chap who told me his opinion. I’m just the messenger. I have no idea who did this. Police are aware of the incident. Let them sort it, when they have the time of course.

You need to get back down to the midlands or the south mate, back to civilisation. You dont drag your knuckles enough to stay oop there.