Leigh Branch. Mooring Dover Bridge

Nightwatch

Featured Posts

Due to an extended stoppage at Wigan, we have a choice. Continue along the L&L towards Liverpool or go onto the Leigh Branch.

Now this is the quandary.

The Western end of the L&L has stoppages going onwards to February or even March. We have already spent one Christmas at Burscough, it was okay.

We are swaying towards the Leigh branch and then, obviously on to the Bridgewater and beyond. Our long term plan.

Now the question, we have to travel back to Foulridge to collect the car. ASAP. Therefore leaving the boat with crew member onboard. Is Dover Bridge Moorings okay for purpose? (Even with no crew onboard)

Decisions decisions. 

Dover lock bridge is a popular overnight mooring before heading for Poolstock locks and should be ok if someone is on the boat.

Another hours sail would take you to Plank Lane lift bridge where there are lots more boats moored both in the marina and opposite on the towpath.

Poolstock no 2 lock closed from 21.11.22 to 5.12.22.

Wigan drydock lock closes from 20.02.22.

Edited by Pie Eater
Insert dates

We have arrived at the top of the Wigan flight as planned, also with another boat. The flight is locked.

Call to CRT. Spoke to a chap working from home presumably, Not his fault, but knew little about the situation. Locks may reopen Monday.

Stoppage begins on Monday below Poolstock. Decision made for us. Leigh Branch it is then!🙁.

I have been scrutinising notices religiously. I must have missed the notice that says the Wigan flight is closed this weekend. I’m annoyed either with myself, if I have missed the notice or CRT for keeping it a secret.

Cocked up our plans considerably. Hey ho! Worse things happen at sea.

Did they close the Wigan flight early, only stoppage notice I could see said Monday.

Lock 87 (Wigan Flight Bottom Lock)

Detail

From Date: 07/11/2022 08:00

To Date: 16/12/2022 16:00 inclusive

Type: Navigation Closure

Reason: Repair

Is the towpath closed? No

1 hour ago, Nightwatch said:

I have been scrutinising notices religiously. I must have missed the notice that says the Wigan flight is closed this weekend. I’m annoyed either with myself, if I have missed the notice or CRT for keeping it a secret.

Last entry 12 o clock ...

... or you could come back a mile and watch the fireworks!

2 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

We have arrived at the top of the Wigan flight as planned, also with another boat. The flight is locked.

Call to CRT. Spoke to a chap working from home presumably, Not his fault, but knew little about the situation. Locks may reopen Monday.

Stoppage begins on Monday below Poolstock. Decision made for us. Leigh Branch it is then!🙁.

Cocked up our plans considerably. Hey ho! Worse things happen at sea.

It was just an update on 27/10 to the original April notice, easily missed.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices/21826-navigation-restriction-lock-1-leeds-to-lock-86-wigan-leeds-and-liverpool-canal

7 hours ago, Pie Eater said:

Dover lock bridge is a popular overnight mooring before heading for Poolstock locks and should be ok if someone is on the boat.

Another hours sail would take you to Plank Lane lift bridge where there are lots more boats moored both in the marina and opposite on the towpath.

Poolstock no 2 lock closed from 21.11.22 to 5.12.22.

Wigan drydock lock closes from 20.02.22.

Drydock lock also closed from this Monday 7th November.

7 hours ago, rgreg said:

Thanks for that. But I still don’t see where it says they are closed for the this weekend? Now five boats waiting that knew nothing of the locks being closed and padlocked today and tomorrow.

To add to our woes. Travelled back to Foulridge to collect the car. Not something I enjoy.

Booked and paid for trains from Wigan to Burnley via a change a Preston. Intention to then get a Wizz bus to Foulridge.

Great. Bus from Wigan top lock to Wigan. 30 mins. Walk to wigan rail station. All good. Train to Preston. Took about 15 mins. All Good.

Asked which platform to Burnley train. Answer, no trains to Burnley. Because of the rail strike that didn’t happen. Strikes cancelled Thursday. 48 horns to sort, but no! Train drivers or whatever wanted the weekend off I guess. Could be wrong. Rail not bothering to tell anyone.

15 minute walk to Preston BUS station. Train from Preston to Burnley. 1 hour and 20 minutes. Just saw the Wizz bus leaving as we arrived in Burnley. Bus every hour. Caught bus to Foulridge, 25 minutes. Got back to boat at Wigan five hours after we left. Not a good experience.

Feel for me? No? Well you should.

10 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

Thanks for that. But I still don’t see where it says they are closed for the this weekend? Now five boats waiting that knew nothing of the locks being closed and padlocked today and tomorrow.

To add to our woes. Travelled back to Foulridge to collect the car. Not something I enjoy.

Booked and paid for trains from Wigan to Burnley via a change a Preston. Intention to then get a Wizz bus to Foulridge.

Great. Bus from Wigan top lock to Wigan. 30 mins. Walk to wigan rail station. All good. Train to Preston. Took about 15 mins. All Good.

Asked which platform to Burnley train. Answer, no trains to Burnley. Because of the rail strike that didn’t happen. Strikes cancelled Thursday. 48 horns to sort, but no! Train drivers or whatever wanted the weekend off I guess. Could be wrong. Rail not bothering to tell anyone.

15 minute walk to Preston BUS station. Train from Preston to Burnley. 1 hour and 20 minutes. Just saw the Wizz bus leaving as we arrived in Burnley. Bus every hour. Caught bus to Foulridge, 25 minutes. Got back to boat at Wigan five hours after we left. Not a good experience.

Feel for me? No? Well you should.

Sounds like a normal day on public transport in East Lancashire.

Not long after we arrived at the top lock, another boater arrived in what could be called a Narrow Boat. It’s a boat and narrow. He was fuming as he had to get to Liverpool to start a job soonish!

He called CRT like what I did and threatened to cut off the locks. CRT said there be someone out within the hour to open up. (This didn’t happen). I was on a bus at this time.

Just chatted to a volockie who blamed me for getting some chap in trouble for taking the padlocks off the locks.

So, to summarise. Yes, there are padlocks on the gate paddles. Three people within CRT had been spoken to regarding all this. Not one of them corrected to two boaters asking what was going on thinking the locks were closed. The chap I talked to confirmed the locks were closed and out of use for the weekend. No staff available until Monday as the offices are closed all weekend.

Three of us didn’t see the notice stating the obvious. I, only saw the padlocks. Called CRT who confirmed closure.

What a load of dogs goolies. Off down the flight now!

8 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Not long after we arrived at the top lock, another boater arrived in what could be called a Narrow Boat. It’s a boat and narrow. He was fuming as he had to get to Liverpool to start a job soonish!

He called CRT like what I did and threatened to cut off the locks. CRT said there be someone out within the hour to open up. (This didn’t happen). I was on a bus at this time.

Just chatted to a volockie who blamed me for getting some chap in trouble for taking the padlocks off the locks.

So, to summarise. Yes, there are padlocks on the gate paddles. Three people within CRT had been spoken to regarding all this. Not one of them corrected to two boaters asking what was going on thinking the locks were closed. The chap I talked to confirmed the locks were closed and out of use for the weekend. No staff available until Monday as the offices are closed all weekend.

Three of us didn’t see the notice stating the obvious. I, only saw the padlocks. Called CRT who confirmed closure.

What a load of dogs goolies. Off down the flight now!

Just to clarify, the person you spoke to on site was a member of staff, not a volunteer. 

Familar story for Wigan. Padlocks not removed when flight should be open (key-holder turning up late) and put back on early. Not sure if it is a local issue. Doesn't help when faced with a good few hours of lock wheeling or with any sort of planning. Certainly needs improvement.

I believe the key to the gate paddle locks at the top of this flight are located within a key secure box affixed to inside of the fence at the customer waste facility (just over the bridge). The pin to the key box I’m told is a combination of the last two lock numbers on the flight. The idea being we can unlock if no one is around.

Beware though, a friend of friend said they set off slightly earlier than 10am (an hour earlier) only to be reprimanded on reaching the bottom.  There are sensors somewhere on the flight which can recognise changes in water levels when someone’s using the flight, so best only set off within the published opening times.

1 minute ago, Donny85 said:

I believe the key to the gate paddle locks at the top of this flight are located within a key secure box affixed to inside of the fence at the customer waste facility (just over the bridge). The pin to the key box I’m told is a combination of the last two lock numbers on the flight. The idea being we can unlock if no one is around.

Officially? Seems strange. How does anyone gain this knowledge? Gate padlocks (on chains) are all standard with the same key so it would seem a security risk as before long they would be sold on Ebay like the services key.

2 hours ago, Pagefield said:

Did you check the ground paddles?  People often just see the locks on the gate paddles, which are permanently locked.

What sort of boater doesn't check all the paddles first? You only need one paddle at each end to be working to get through, albeit slower than normal.