Monmouth & Brecon Canal

Radigund

Featured Posts

You have to book the locks to go down and again to go back up - I suspect anyone who somehow managed to convince themselves they were 'CC'ing would be rumbled fairly quickly.

Anyway, the pub's only open on alternative Wednesdays when the moon is waning and the wind is in the east... some folk love the Monty, I know, but I'd had enough after about 3 days! 

According to a previous poster, asking the same question, they contacted the CRT who advised it was possible to CC on this canal. Surprises me, but we all have a different definition of CC it seems. The last time I was on this canal the southern 1/4 was almost impassable due to weed - as it seemed no one ever goes down there - and we were down the weed hatch every 20min. Wouldn't take many CC's to clog up the remaining canal even more than the long stretches of official moorings that already exist.

Thank you, much more helpful than laughter and ridicule. 

I’ve been a continual cruiser for the past 7 years, a boater for 10.

Yes the CRT tell me it is possible to continually cruise the Mon & Brec Canal hence l am researching.

I’ve cycled the first 10 miles from 5 locks to look at the canal and talked with the friendly helpful boaters that are around and l will cycle the whole navigable stretch when time allows.  

The canal is extremely green with clearly little movement and very shallow from what l’ve seen so my draft and size will have to be a consideration. 

My understanding is it is long enough to continually cruise, but extremely shallow, making passage difficult and very low bridges especially bridge 100, as well as the obvious mooring difficulty. 

My question: “are there any cc’s right now living that life? If so what do they say about it?”

many thanks 😊 

I think the only way you are going to find that answer will be by riding the whole length, but from my observations I don;t think there is anyone and they are more likely holed-ip in one of the small marinas.
It may also be worth contacting a cruising club based on the canal and asking them.

On 06/11/2022 at 15:59, Radigund said:

Thank you, much more helpful than laughter and ridicule. 

I’ve been a continual cruiser for the past 7 years, a boater for 10.

Yes the CRT tell me it is possible to continually cruise the Mon & Brec Canal hence l am researching.

I’ve cycled the first 10 miles from 5 locks to look at the canal and talked with the friendly helpful boaters that are around and l will cycle the whole navigable stretch when time allows.  

The canal is extremely green with clearly little movement and very shallow from what l’ve seen so my draft and size will have to be a consideration. 

My understanding is it is long enough to continually cruise, but extremely shallow, making passage difficult and very low bridges especially bridge 100, as well as the obvious mooring difficulty. 

My question: “are there any cc’s right now living that life? If so what do they say about it?”

many thanks 😊 

You are getting replies from those who are not cc on this waterway. This gives your post a bump and also provides extra info  . This is the nature of this forum, if it were not like this the forum would shrivel and die.

On 06/11/2022 at 08:34, Sea Dog said:

You have to book the locks to go down and again to go back up - I suspect anyone who somehow managed to convince themselves they were 'CC'ing would be rumbled fairly quickly.

Anyway, the pub's only open on alternative Wednesdays when the moon is waning and the wind is in the east... some folk love the Monty, I know, but I'd had enough after about 3 days! 

You are thinking of the Montgomery, the OP is the Monmouth and Brecon, it is a tad longer.

• Greenie 3

11 hours ago, PeterF said:

You are thinking of the Montgomery, the OP is the Monmouth and Brecon, it is a tad longer.

Doh! Thanks Peter, I was indeed. No wonder I thought it was a daft question - it turns out it was instead a daft reader! :D

PS: I have done the Mon and Brec, both on foot carrying a full pack and in a canoe, so I do know it a bit. Beautiful though the area (is on days you can see it), my invariably cold and wet military 'visits' would be enough to put me off living on a boat there. YMMV.

Edited by Sea Dog
Added the PS