Gleniffer DC8 Spares

greyghost

Featured Posts

There was a matched pair of DC3 engines at Marine Power Services being sold as spare parts.

https://www.marinepowerservices.co.uk/engines/past-engines

I see they've sold to a heritage project boat to provide a spares source for the Gleniffer DC8's fitted in her. - I guess thats you ?

Gleniffer parts are very hard to find.  I suspect Kelvin didn't keep anything after the takeover.

We had piston rings made for our DB by a company in the USA.

Edited by jake_crew

Note that the Llys Helig, a boat in Burnham on Crouch which overturned and sank some years ago has been raised and is set for restoration.

As far as I know it was fitted with twin Glennifer 8 cylinder engines. The owner that i spoke to some 10 or more years ago told me they were then no longer functional. They have since been submerged for several years.

Almost certainly they will not be fit to restore to use, but may certainly be worthy of yielding some rare spares.

I gather the ship is expected to be moved to a dry dock soon.

May i suggest you visit the website Llys Helig via google.

It might well put you in touch with the owner to your advantage.

Best regards. Mick ( a Fellow historic boat owner )

The Llys Helig story is quite interesting. Its got to be scrap at the end of the day but the claim is that it will be restored.

This is a picture of one of the Gleniffer units in the boat (from the facebook page about Llys Helig motor yacht).

822197283_Screenshot2022-11-05at11-06-07LlysHelig-1922GentlemansYacht.png.62bf3c148cabfe4cd04be2b1b01c3704.png

It looks like they were stripped a while ago but I suppose there might be some non iron innards which could be worth salvaging. Definitely interesting to talk to the owner of the boat as apart from anything else if these could be removed the boat would be a little bit lighter.

I recall that Gleniffer engines can be stripped down in situ from the top down. They are similar to RN in that they have horizontal valve gear and clerestory combustion chambers which I believe was a Russell Newbery patent.

These ones do look bad but a good suggestion from the previous poster to check them out if possible.

Other than that I know of a couple of Gleniffers in boats on the Thames but have no contact details for owners.

" The Scottish Maritime museum has a collection of diesel marine engines, especially of Kelvin and Gleniffer engines, the leading Scottish makes. The largest marine diesel is a Gleniffer engine from the former ‘Countess of Breadalbane’ which served on Loch Awe, the Clyde, and Loch Lomond, before being broken up in the late 1990s."

I'm not sure if any are DCs or straight 8s.  They might be worth contacting though I struggled to get s reply to my own enquiries. 

On 05/11/2022 at 07:00, jake_crew said:

There was a matched pair of DC3 engines at Marine Power Services being sold as spare parts.

https://www.marinepowerservices.co.uk/engines/past-engines

I see they've sold to a heritage project boat to provide a spares source for the Gleniffer DC8's fitted in her. - I guess thats you ?

Gleniffer parts are very hard to find.  I suspect Kelvin didn't keep anything after the takeover.

We had piston rings made for our DB by a company in the USA.

Hi Jake, Yes we did purchase them but they were not in a good condition when we stripped them down but thanks anyway.

regards,

Colin

In 1974 I was shown round a Humber barge  moored at Nottingham. The owner had fitted a V16 Glenifer of 320HP. It had been a standby generator in a hospital. A huge thing with ,I guess, a matching fuel consumption. Years later I looked at a Glenifer at Tarleton, it was either three or four cylinders, the interesting part was the capstan winch stuck out of the top of the gearbox , was this for hauling trawl nets? That capstan would be great for dragging a NB off the mud on our shallow canals!

Sorry  I can't help with spares.

Hi Bill, Thanks for that, the vee version was a later model than our straight 8.

9 hours ago, jake_crew said:

" The Scottish Maritime museum has a collection of diesel marine engines, especially of Kelvin and Gleniffer engines, the leading Scottish makes. The largest marine diesel is a Gleniffer engine from the former ‘Countess of Breadalbane’ which served on Loch Awe, the Clyde, and Loch Lomond, before being broken up in the late 1990s."

I'm not sure if any are DCs or straight 8s.  They might be worth contacting though I struggled to get s reply to my own enquiries. 

Hi Buccaneer66,

Yes, it is, the starboard one was completely rebuilt by Gardners of Canterbury. It seized in 2019 after the head of number 8 cylinder broke up allowing cooling water to pour into the sump eventually replacing the oil with water.

The air motor also needs a a brass bush for the starter pinion.

So we have been trying to source DC8 spares to assist in repairs and a stock for future use if needed,

Regards,

Colin

I was just thinking about the situation with the Massey Shaw fireboat.

It has a pair of DC8 Gleniffers one of which is apparently in a very bad state. Lovely engines to look at. Beautiful.

It is a twin screw boat with shafts.

Not sure how practical it is and obviously it would need some planning and a feasibility study but I wonder whether it would be possible to interrput the driveline to the non working engine and install an electric propulsion system with approximately the same torque curve as the existing diesel engine. The engine could remain in place. Space for batteries would be needed.

Obviously this depends on the driveline configuration and practicality especially around the tailshaft but it seems to me there might be some grant funding for this sort of thing.

The boat is not used for particularly extensive or arduous works but it would be nice to have both propellers turning. I believe she goes alright with one engine.

This potential solution would also mean that the non working engine would become a donor engine for the other one and anyone visiting the boat as a tourist would get the ye candy of the wonderful Gleniffer engines in place and as installed.

Just a thought.

Hello Magnetman,

Thank you for your comments, we are considering options at present, repairing is our preferred choice, replacing engines is another option and you may have given us a third.

We are still working hard to find spares and repairing the starboard engine. but as I have said a;; options are on the table.

Colin

Definitely don't replace the engines !!!

I'm local (Limehouse) and would love to come and have a look at the boat.

I'm not in the business of doing any works of this sort just a general boat enthusiast.

Do you have an open day or something?

Hi Jake,

I don't often look at the website but will do after I have sent this. The only problem we have, is having volunteers to show you around. If you wish to visit, just make a request and make a request.   We are normally on the boat Wednesdays and Saturdays. If you have any problems, my email is colinperry[ at ] masseyshaw [ dot] org

Regards

Colin

Edited by magpie patrick
Email address edited to scare off the spambots

Unlike your first post, where you sensibly modified your e-mail address, you posted your e-mail address in full, undisguised.  That is a recipe for attracting internet spam bots.   I flagged that to the Mods. Magpie Patrick has now modified your post and  disguised your e-mail  so the spam bots do not invade the Massey Shaw email address and send you and your colleagues mountains of cr@p.

N