Help wanted near Kidderminster

Andrew Denny

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Maybe it was a 'sting operation' and he wanted to build a story of boaters invalidating their insurance doing commercial towing, but it fell kind of flat when a commercial operator offered to do it.

Have to say i wondered about this too, given the guy is a professional waterways journalist. 

Seems like feigned helplessness to me, were I to be being harsh. 

2 hours ago, MtB said:

Have to say i wondered about this too, given the guy is a professional waterways journalist. 

Seems like feigned helplessness to me, were I to be being harsh. 

I think you're overestimating the deviousness of the waterways press...

• Greenie 1

10 hours ago, Ianws said:

Is that just for the boat being towed out?

Only if the towing boat secures the line to a T stud or Dolly. When I did it I always tied my line to the bottom of the cruiser stern handrail support so four rings of weld took the strain. Some T studs are cast and some bolt through. I was always suspicious of the weld security on cast T studs, but that might just be me. However, when I popped a T stud off strapping the boat to a stop in a Thames lock the weld looked very dodgy to me.

5 minutes ago, Bod said:

Would using the anchor point (if fitted) be a stronger connection?

Bod

It should be, but I have my doubts on many narrow boats. On JennyB it was a bit of half inch bar bent into a U and welded to the hull side, the best one could say is that both metals being welded were mild steel.

It all depends upon what the anchor pint is and how it is fitted, so each case neds individual assessment.

33 minutes ago, Bod said:

Would using the anchor point (if fitted) be a stronger connection?

Bod

It would depend if the anchor point was a stonger fitting.

If put on by the manufacturer I doubt it - if put on by someone who knew about anchor loadings, back plates etc etc then I'd say 'yes'.

6 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Only if the towing boat secures the line to a T stud or Dolly. When I did it I always tied my line to the bottom of the cruiser stern handrail support so four rings of weld took the strain. Some T studs are cast and some bolt through. I was always suspicious of the weld security on cast T studs, but that might just be me. However, when I popped a T stud off strapping the boat to a stop in a Thames lock the weld looked very dodgy to me.

I pulled one of the Oxford trip boats off the mud when he went aground. My line was attached to a cleat on his wooden gunwale, he was very happy with it, I was doubtful. I have seen tow lines go at sea when moving rigs, you don't want to be near one. 

33 minutes ago, dave moore said:

I’ve just walked the length of the canal in question. The layby is empty, Andrew’s boat gone. Who is responsible and where the boat is now, I’ve no idea. Perhaps recent rain raised the level sufficiently to float it off.

Dave

I would be interested in how it was achieved, it would be lovely if the OP came back and let us know

• Greenie 2

23 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Well he looked at the website 2 hours ago so...

We seem to get that quite a lot - maybe boating draws a higher percentage of ignorant folks that the general population.

Comes asking for help

Ignores suggestion

Refuses when help is offered

Never come back when the issue is resolved.

You'd expect better from someone associated with the boating press. Ooooops, no forget that, we also had the NB 'ramming' a GRP cruiser for a mooring - he wrote for the boating press as well didn't he ?

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Wasn't the guy (forget his name)  who was filmed ramming a crusier and shouting and swearing that it was 'his' mooring also writing for "Waterways World"

Yes, but that eejit wasnt Andrew.

That eejit was called Steve Heywood.

?? Spelling