Help wanted near Kidderminster

Andrew Denny

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, IanD said:

Yes posting the redacted photo was a mistake, which is why I removed it -- I posted it to try and clarify what the problem was and stop people making suggestions which couldn't work.

Maybe "abusive" was too strong a word, "unhelpful and sarcastic and critical and doubting motives and bringing the character of the OP into question" would have been more accurate but much longer... 😉

In response to:

"Tank is almost empty. but the stern is the problem. Look, I'm not asking for tips, I've been stuck many times before, not in these circumstances. What I'm asking is, are there any boats that might be going past this weekend that could oblige with a not-a-euphemism tug?  Thanks."

the first few pages were indeed helpful (though the situation was not clear, not helped by lack of photos...), but some of the later responses included:

"I’ve seen the boat dumped in several places.

where is this friends private mooring?

Are CRT aware of this reciprocal arrangement?

Has he not found the boat has a bed?

I can’t see the OP getting energetic.

And by the way your mate is a continuous moorer, 

Thankfully this time he’s not blocking any facilities. 

And when a passing boater tries offers a tow (pull-off) they close the curtains and lock the doors and pretend the boat is unoccupied.

...or one who high jacks a lovely private mooring in a most picturesque spot and then claims the water levels have dropped sufficiently that the boat cannot be moved."

Coincidentally almost all of these came from the same poster, who I was advised (by PM, during this very thread, by somebody other than the OP) was "an unpleasant sh*t-stirrer" who was not worth engaging with -- and I now won't... 😉

I think all but one did come from me.

And I stand by them.

Perhaps you’d like to include some of my helpful suggestions too?

As for not engaging, I’d prefer that too, thanks. 
We agree on something. 

• Greenie 2

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The company is 'Evergreen" and each boat name in the fleet starts with "Ever"

You can see on the bow this boat is named "Ever Given"

Edit to add picture :

Screenshot (1642).png

Which was the one stuck in the Suez, the point that @MtB was trying to make when someone else had said the ship was called the Evergreen. 

6 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

My offer was declined; as was an extended offer to remain available until 26/11 to suit his availability.

Very strange -- why publicly ask for a tug off, and then privately decline when that's exactly what's offered? Did he give any reason?

(or has he asked you not to disclose this, like he did with me?)

Edited by IanD

15 minutes ago, IanD said:

Very strange -- why publicly ask for a tug off, and then privately decline when that's exactly what's offered? Did he give any reason?

I think he’s content to sit it out and wait for favourable weather having cleared his presence at wherever it is that he is at with CRT. A situation that has perhaps changed since his initial request.

My offer was deemed to be commercial when he prefers such things to be done as favours between friends.

17 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

I think he’s content to sit it out and wait for favourable weather having cleared his presence at wherever it is that he is at with CRT. A situation that has perhaps changed since his initial request.

My offer was deemed to be commercial when he prefers such things to be done as favours between friends.

He said last week that he'd told CART that he was stuck and they were OK with that. If by "favourable weather" you mean "lots and lots of rain" then he could be in for a long wait looking at the weather forecasts...

Strange that he didn't see your offer to help for free (uninsured, like anyone else) as coming from a "friend"...

Edited by IanD

49 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I thought that you offered him a free pull as long as he accepted liability. That sounds like a favour between friends to me, especially as you would be moving your boat specially for him (as I understand it). If he can't see that it is just common sense to ask him to accept liability then it says a lot about his thought processes. If he found that unacceptable you even gave him another option.

Anyway, well done for offering help, there are some people who you just can't help.

I did. And I thought the condition about liability was a barely necessary confirmation of the moral obligations of commandeering a favour that I wouldn’t have felt obliged to explicitly include had the offer have been to someone I knew.

If a friend drops by to haul you off the bottom and rips a stern dolly off in the process don’t expect to remain friends if your response is “not my problem mate”.

Hence I think reality is that requirements have changed.

Edited by Captain Pegg
  • Greenie 2

On 03/11/2022 at 15:37, Andrew Denny said:

Will anyone boats be passing Wolverley Lock on the Staffs & Worcs in the next few days, who could help me in trying to pull my boat off the mud? I arrived about 10 days ago and moored up above the lock, not realising that at the time the water level was much higher than normal. I returned a few days later to find the boat stuck, as the water level had gone down (to normal).

I will need a tow/tug to break free of the mud! 

maybe his original post should have included - 'but not from a professional who might know what he's doing'

17 minutes ago, Mike Tee said:

maybe his original post should have included - 'but not from a professional who might know what he's doing'

"might" being the operative word 😄

Although the suggestions of the forum may not have been solicited there were some that I have would have looked at using.

6 hours ago, IanD said:

Im not sure that a tug off falls with this forums remit TBF. Prerhaps thats where the OP has gone off to? 

56 minutes ago, Stroudwater1 said:

Im not sure that a tug off falls with this forums remit TBF. Prerhaps thats where the OP has gone off to? 

Maybe it was a 'sting operation' and he wanted to build a story of boaters invalidating their insurance doing commercial towing, but it fell kind of flat when a commercial operator offered to do it.

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Maybe it was a 'sting operation' and he wanted to build a story of boaters invalidating their insurance doing commercial towing, but it fell kind of flat when a commercial operator offered to do it.

Nah,

He’s  obviously anNBTA follower and knows how to work the system. 
👍

got himself proper stuck on a doom bar.