Help wanted near Kidderminster

Andrew Denny

Featured Posts

44 minutes ago, Ex Brummie said:

IIRC, there is what may be called an arm by the cottages on Lea Lane on a right angle bend. The canal is wide there so fits the description of distance from towpath The other option could Graham Booths layby mooring just up from Wolverly Lock. I can see both those suffering from silting

This one?

layby.png

1 hour ago, Rob-M said:

At the start of the thread it was suggested he was moored at Graham's but then it was said he had reversed in to somewhere so another boat would not be able to come alongside.

Perhaps he’s OK with being stuck. 
Clearly can’t be bothered to make the effort to sort it. 

I somehow don’t buy this level excuse, sounds iffy to me. 🧐Could it be a deliberate effort to stay put?

As an aside; how long can he get away stuck on a mates mooring? Before his mate ends up having to pay for him being there?

7 minutes ago, Ex Brummie said:

No, further back there is a 90o bend by some cottages. IIRC there is a 'backwater on the bend and it is very wide at that point.

From his description, I suspect Andrew is stuck in the "layby" in the picture above -- was this Graham's?

19 hours ago, Slim said:

Would it be at all possible to dig in an anchor on the tow path side? Long story but I got a yacht off a mud bank (more a field) once. 

I'm worried about all the suggestion s that include driving an anchor of some sort into or near the towpath. Bank breaches come along often enough as it is.

8 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

I'm worried about all the suggestion s that include driving an anchor of some sort into or near the towpath. Bank breaches come along often enough as it is.

I share that concern, however, I doubt it will breach if the boat is in the lay-by in the photo, the towpath side is bounded by a high bank.

On 04/11/2022 at 12:43, bizzard said:

Contact the RAF at Brize Norton or USAF at Milden Hall. They have Chinook jellycopters which should lift the boat enough to free it. Not joking, they sometimes want a challenge and something proper like this to do instead of just flying about wasting time, fuel and our taxes.

This is a ridiculous suggestion. A Chinook can only lift 10 tonnes.........you should have advised the OP to request two! 

Edited by booke23
  • Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, jonesthenuke said:

Agreed if anchored in the towpath but earlier I was suggesting anchoring to a tree on the bank above. It all seems moot as the OP has been silent for some time?

I think he has lost interest in the thread as no-one is offering to turn up in a boat. 

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Goliath said:

we shouldn’t worry. 
I can’t see the OP getting energetic. 

Were individuals to have read my post properly they would they would have seen that I said "on the towpath side" . Shame people jump to conclusions. 

4 minutes ago, Slim said:

Were individuals to have read my post properly they would they would have seen that I said "on the towpath side" . Shame people jump to conclusions. 

You still have to be energetic to do it. (I had to go back and find your post after that comment)

I must say I think that the liklihood of anything other than a deep drafted boat with a serious engine being able to tow Andrew's boat off is rather slim. However if the various winch suggestions are too problematic, here's a further thought.

Early in the thread I suggested that if Andrew gets assistance from a passing boat he could attach a fairly short line from the stern of the 'tug' to his fore end, and the tug then puts his tiller over so as to drive his stern away from the wall. This would mean that his thrust was directed between Granny Buttons and the wall, which might help matters. Having subsequently had a better picture of the configuration, the line would have to be long enough so the tug is not pulled over into the layby himself. As I recall from the photo that appeared briefly the layby is effectively a piled rectangular shape in a piled length of canal, and the stern of Andrew's boat is fairly tight to one end with several feet of space at the front. If it is possible to attach a line on the main canal piling in front, then feed it back and round his tee stud, that would at least give the tug double purchase.

Tam

2 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

Has it been confirmed that the picture of the lay-by is where the OP's boat is stuck?

No, but if the OP doesn’t return we can but speculate.

There is a connection between the OP and the owner of the property to which the mooring is attached which is what made me think it might be there.

I suspect that the OP is a little coy because he doesn’t want the owner dragged into things.

I am/was potentially in a position to help but as I have no plans to pass Wolverley until next March as per the very specific request I’m unable to assist. 😉

1 hour ago, Tam & Di said:

I must say I think that the liklihood of anything other than a deep drafted boat with a serious engine being able to tow Andrew's boat off is rather slim.

I would have thought the chances of any boat being able to tow Andrew's boat off by engine thrust alone is virtually nil. What he needs is a snatch, or more likely several snatches. That involves connecting the two boats with a meaty rope, fixed to strong points on each boat, with plenty of spare rope between. The tug starts close to the stuck boat and motors away at a reasonable pace, taking care the spare rope doesn't catch in its prop, and it is the sudden jerk when the rope goes tight that will pull the stuck boat forward a little. And the heavier the towing  boat the more jerk will be imparted to the stuck boat.

• Greenie 2

14 hours ago, jonesthenuke said:

Agreed if anchored in the towpath but earlier I was suggesting anchoring to a tree on the bank above. It all seems moot as the OP has been silent for some time?

I was really reacting to the suggestions of ground anchors or screws.

I can confirm that the boat is still there as we saw it yesterday morning on our way to Stourport. We had offered a tow, so we stopped blew our horn several times and shouted out but there was no sign of life in both house or boat. The mooring is on the offside and for obvious reasons we didn't want to moor up and knock on the door.

• Greenie 1