Help wanted near Kidderminster

Andrew Denny

Featured Posts

It seems to me that part of the problem here is that people (myself included!) are struggling to understand exactly what the surrounding lie of the land is, and the position of the stranded boat in relation to it.

Exactly the kind of thing where a picture tells a thousand words.

However Andrew has made a picture available to one forum member, but, for whatever reason, has requested it is not posted here.

I can't be the only person who has rather lost interest in making further suggestions about what might work!

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, Victor Vectis said:

Tirfors have a shear pin(s?) at the bottom of the handle and these are supposed to give before the rope does.

Well, thats what I was told when we used then at the pit.

They work, assuming of course it hasn't been replaced with a large nut and bolt

41 minutes ago, BEngo said:

Andrew has decided, in his infinite wisdom, that the answer is to be towed/snatched  off.  That is his call so his OP only asked if there was anyone passing that would be prepared to try.

That there are many good ideas here I do not doubt, but, as with many posters, they do not suit the answer which has already been decided.  

N

Unfortunately you are right, and I find the same happens to me sometimes. I ask a quite narrow question on a forum and get 800 answers to a question I didn't ask, and none to the one I did. And I find myself digging in and rejecting all the oblique but helpful alternative suggestions because I only want to do it MY WAY!! 

1 hour ago, Loddon said:

@matty40s had the answer pages ago.

You already have the tools to do it on board.

Raising the level in a pound is not rocket science.

When ever I’ve used the dry dock at Stone, they put a board across the bywash the night before to raise the level of water ready for morning. Very simple and very effective.  

(Obviously a much shorter pound at Stone)

2 hours ago, Loddon said:

@matty40s had the answer pages ago.

You already have the tools to do it on board.

Raising the level in a pound is not rocket science.

Andrew did say that the next lock up (Debdale?) was a mile away and the next lock down (Wolverley?) half a mile away. Raising the level in a mile-and-a-half-long pound by several inches will need an *awful* lot of water to be run down...

Edited by IanD

8 minutes ago, IanD said:

Andrew did say that the next lock up was a mile away and the next lock down half a mile away. Raising the level in a mile-and-a-half-long pound by several inches will need an *awful* lot of water to be run down...

The amount of rain that has  come down over the last few days would have done it for him.

After all that is probably what caused it in the first place.

16 minutes ago, Loddon said:

The amount of rain that has  come down over the last few days would have done it for him.

After all that is probably what caused it in the first place.

Perhaps, but IIRC he also said he's not currently on the boat and has to travel a fair distance to visit it, so unless he somehow knew what the water level there was doing so he could turn up at exactly the right time... 😉

2 hours ago, MtB said:

Good idea. 

The hardest bit for the OP will be finding enough bricks and carrying them <however far> to the overspill.

He might find enough bicks in his bilges. 

I envisage a scenario where he takes all the bicks and bricks out of the bilge to the spillway, walks back and the boat has floated away out of reach.

• Haha 4

9 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Has he not found the boat has a bed?

🤷‍♀️

I'm sure he has, but perhaps he has other things he needs to do at home/work instead of spending day after day on the boat waiting in vain for an unusually high water level?

Not everyone is retired and has unlimited free time available... 😉

Edited by IanD
  • Greenie 2

18 minutes ago, Mike Tee said:

I envisage a scenario where he takes all the bicks and bricks out of the bilge to the spillway, walks back and the boat has floated away out of reach.

Then when he eventually gets it back under control, he fetches his ballast back and finds he is back on ..........Oh well, you see where this is heading

14 hours ago, Tracy D&#x27;arth said:

Put a line of bricks on the weir top to raise the level.

We don’t know which pound he is on but it’s likely to be a S&W wier which is circular possibly fan shaped in the middle of water so hard to brick which is why I suggested blocking the hole into the weir area. 

it is somewhat unusual all in all I agree with MtB. Can the water level have risen so much then drained off, those by washes are very efficient and need to be. Blocking off a refloating is best I suspect to reverse what originally happened 

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, IanD said:

I'm sure he has, but perhaps he has other things he needs to do at home/work instead of spending day after day on the boat waiting in vain for an unusually high water level?

Not everyone is retired and has unlimited free time available... 😉

That may be true for some. 

But if he had a go at some of the many suggestions he may not be waiting in vain. I’d be trying to free the boat anyway I could. 

Since he has piling either side of the boat; a desperate attempt Id make is using a Spanish windless either side to pull the boat forward. Like spring lines from the stern dollies attached forwards by about 10’. 

But as you say, some are retired, and perhaps have all the time in the world to wait for someone to do it for them. 

I’d be wracking my brain and trying to solve it. There are times when you have to sort yourself out. 

1 hour ago, IanD said:

Andrew did say that the next lock up (Debdale?) was a mile away and the next lock down (Wolverley?) half a mile away. Raising the level in a mile-and-a-half-long pound by several inches will need an *awful* lot of water to be run down...

Hi Ian the S&W has significant water running down from Wolverhampton sewage works, it’s surprising how quickly a pound fills up and I’m sure you’ve seen them empty equally fast 😉. Block the bywash and the level will be much higher within  12 hours.

1 mile isn’t that long to raise by a couple of inches. I’m not a mathematician but it’s probably a lot less than half the Wolverhampton toilet flushes per day 🤣🤣

• Greenie 1

11 minutes ago, Stroudwater1 said:

Hi Ian the S&W has significant water running down from Wolverhampton sewage works, it’s surprising how quickly a pound fills up and I’m sure you’ve seen them empty equally fast 😉. Block the bywash and the level will be much higher within  12 hours.

1 mile isn’t that long to raise by a couple of inches. I’m not a mathematician but it’s probably a lot less than half the Wolverhampton toilet flushes per day 🤣🤣

I know there's plenty of water there, I was there last year. Blocking the bywash might work if there's only one in that stretch of canal (anyone know?), assuming you can get to the bywash(es) (towpath or offside?) without a boat and have something the right size to block it/them. Sounds easy but might not be so easy in practice...

It does sound as if his original request for a passing boat to pull/snatch him off the mud -- preferably without pulling a T-stud off -- would actually be the easiest option... 😉

(I'm sure from Andrew's description of where the locks are people can figure out where he is from Google Maps, I found it without much trouble...)

Edited by IanD

34 minutes ago, Stroudwater1 said:

We don’t know which pound he is on but it’s likely to be a S&W wier which is circular possibly fan shaped in the middle of water so hard to brick which is why I suggested blocking the hole into the weir area. 

it is somewhat unusual all in all I agree with MtB. Can the water level have risen so much then drained off, those by washes are very efficient and need to be. Blocking off a refloating is best I suspect to reverse what originally happened 

He’s above Wolverley lock, which is right by the pub.

So easy access to either side I think.

Its also next to a car park so quite easy to drive over with a plank and all the bits he may need, and at least have look.

15 minutes ago, Ex Brummie said:

Not all of Barnhurst goes down the S&W, a lot of it keeps my boat afloat on the Shroppie.

And much of what goes down the S&W towards Stourport is tapped off into a local river at Dimmingsdale. The bywashes below there have not been expanded to take the extra flow.

MP.

15 minutes ago, Goliath said:

He’s above Wolverley lock, which is right by the pub.

So easy access to either side I think.

Its also next to a car park so quite easy to drive over with a plank and all the bits he may need, and at least have look.

I don't see any arms to reverse in to in the pound above Wolverley lock.

14 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

I don't see any arms to reverse in to in the pound above Wolverley lock.

IIRC, there is what may be called an arm by the cottages on Lea Lane on a right angle bend. The canal is wide there so fits the description of distance from towpath The other option could Graham Booths layby mooring just up from Wolverly Lock. I can see both those suffering from silting

20 minutes ago, Ex Brummie said:

IIRC, there is what may be called an arm by the cottages on Lea Lane on a right angle bend. The canal is wide there so fits the description of distance from towpath The other option could Graham Booths layby mooring just up from Wolverly Lock. I can see both those suffering from silting

At the start of the thread it was suggested he was moored at Graham's but then it was said he had reversed in to somewhere so another boat would not be able to come alongside.