Help wanted near Kidderminster

Andrew Denny

Featured Posts

18 minutes ago, Andrew Denny said:

Unfortunately there's nothing within roping distance of the bow. Nothing across the canal on the other side to fasten to, either. The boat is stern-in to a small layby, and can't reverse any further (even if I wanted to). The only way is forward and out. Believe me, I'm stuck. My solution is another boat going past that will pick up my bow rope and give a good tug. Even flushing a lockful of water from the lock above won't work, because the lock above is nearly a mile away. Were I to do that, the surge would dissipate by the time it reached my boat and be lost through the spillweir on the lower lock 1/4-mile away, let alone by the time I returned to my boat 20 mins later.  Alternative solutions when I return tomorrow: Remove stuff in the engine compartment, the mattress in my rear bedroom, etc. But it's that other boat going past that I really long to see... 

How close is your stern to the bank behind you, and is it solid?

If it's close and solid enough (e.g. you can get a gangplank along it) can you get a car jack between this and your stern and use it to break free of the mud by pushing? Once you've got it started moving you might have an easier job of getting it out.

OTOH if it's just plain sat down heavily on the bottom like an overfed elephant and moving it a foot or so won't help... 😞

Edited by IanD

Sounds truly stuck.

So you’ve exhausted the wiggling and the rocking and the use of the engine to break free. 

How about something that pushes you off the bank rather than pulls. 
Something you can put between the bank and the boat. 

Like an hydraulic Jack of some sort?

Or an Acro bar?

Dunno, just thinking aloud. 

Trouble is you push one end the other digs in. But if you lever the back out at least you can reverse the front off: but you know that of course. 

How long’s your boat?

crossed with above

Edited by Goliath

1 minute ago, Tam & Di said:

Ah well, look on the bright side; at least you should get an article out of this for publication  👍

And possibly become an apocryphal tale amongst A&E nurses...

("Hey, did you see that guy who came in with a T-stud embedded in his head?")

where is this friends private mooring?

Are CRT aware of this reciprocal arrangement?*

2 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Have you tried getting in the canal and pushing at the water line, I've seen this method used to move a well stuck boat.

sounds good: put one’s back against the boat and feet against the bank and push

I’m also thinking: how about a rope passed over and under the bow then somehow drawn backwards in a sawing motion to free the bottom. 
Again thinking aloud. 

*only kidding 

I would not be too optimistic 😟 unless Deep has a heavy deep drafted boat and powerful engine. If he is travelling in the same direction as you (or as you would like to 😃) you could put a fairly short line between his stern and your bow, and he could put his tiller over as if he were driving his bow into the bank and rev hard to wash water between your fore end and the bank (hope that makes sense).

If he is travelling in the opposite direction to you he could try a similar thing to pull you off backwards - the line would best be attached to your dolly on the side nearest the bank to maximise the direction of pull. This might have the additional benefit of washing away some of the mud which is holding you so firmly.

If you have access to a length of scaffold pole or similar you might be able to exert some sort of sideways leverage too, which would help.

Tam

You already mentioned the answer to your release in a previous post. Wander down to the spillway with your plank, mallet and maybe a couple of wedges. Use the plank to raise the spillway dam height thereby raising the pound level temporarily. Rain this evening or Saturday morning is expected, or maybe the bywashes are running anyway??

(Hopefully assuming there isnt another overflow on the pound.

• Greenie 4

1 hour ago, IanD said:

Again, if you want to use the other boat to "snatch" you off (go from slack rope to tight with the other boat moving past) be careful that you don't either snap the rope, or even pull a t-stud off the hull... 😞

"As the vessel made the approach, her mate, standing at the port passenger entrance, passed the eye of a polypropylene berthing rope over a pier bollard and secured it loosely onto one of the vessel’s bollards. The captain manoeuvred Star Clipper to align with the pier and vessel passenger gates. When the vessel was about 1.5m from the pier, the rope was secured and slight ahead power maintained to bring her alongside.
Just prior to coming alongside, Star Clipper’s mooring bollard was torn from the deck and was catapulted over the 1.1m pier safety fence. It struck one of the waiting passengers, causing fatal injuries."

https://www.gov.uk/maib-reports/failure-of-mooring-bollard-on-passenger-vessel-star-clipper-at-st-katharine-s-pier-river-thames-england-with-loss-of-1-life

8 minutes ago, David Mack said:

"As the vessel made the approach, her mate, standing at the port passenger entrance, passed the eye of a polypropylene berthing rope over a pier bollard and secured it loosely onto one of the vessel’s bollards. The captain manoeuvred Star Clipper to align with the pier and vessel passenger gates. When the vessel was about 1.5m from the pier, the rope was secured and slight ahead power maintained to bring her alongside.
Just prior to coming alongside, Star Clipper’s mooring bollard was torn from the deck and was catapulted over the 1.1m pier safety fence. It struck one of the waiting passengers, causing fatal injuries."

https://www.gov.uk/maib-reports/failure-of-mooring-bollard-on-passenger-vessel-star-clipper-at-st-katharine-s-pier-river-thames-england-with-loss-of-1-life

I hope he ain’t hoping to be rescued by a Star Clipper, he’ll be there some time. 

Edited by Goliath

31 minutes ago, Andrew Denny said:

"boat dumped" - harrumph! 🙂

What is it if ain’t dumped ?

28 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Hmm one man’s dumped boat is another’s left for a legitimate reason  away from home mooring, while he goes and does something else.

Yea, dumped 

I’ve got not got a problem with dumped boats 

Edited by Goliath

48 minutes ago, Goliath said:

where is this friends private mooring?

Are CRT aware of this reciprocal arrangement?*

sounds good: put one’s back against the boat and feet against the bank and push

I’m also thinking: how about a rope passed over and under the bow then somehow drawn backwards in a sawing motion to free the bottom. 
Again thinking aloud. 

*only kidding 

I’ll hazard a guess the mooring in question is the former home mooring of a very well known boat.

However he is now stumped. ( sorry).

Is any of the boat floating? I ask this because we get stuck a lot, and we find rocking the floaty bit and pulling sideways gets us off usually. That can be even when the stern is a good six inch’s up in the air and the prop  tip showing. Our unloaded underwater profile help of course.

10 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

However he is now stumped. ( sorry).

Is any of the boat floating? I ask this because we get stuck a lot, and we find rocking the floaty bit and pulling sideways gets us off usually. That can be even when the stern is a good six inch’s up in the air and the prop  tip showing. Our unloaded underwater profile help of course.

Or if one end of the boat is free(ish), push it out with the pole as far as you can, then pull it back in with a rope, and keep repeating, and usually it moves a bit further each time.

59 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Hmm one man’s dumped boat is another’s left for a legitimate reason  away from home mooring, while he goes and does something else.

Ive really no problem with dumping a boat. 

But (dumpsters) do expect surprises from time to time. 

Edited by Goliath

1 hour ago, roland elsdon said:

Yes it's one of them irregular verbs innit!

I moor my boat safely and legitimately when I go to the pub

YOU dump your boat on the VMs

HE is a repeat offending CMer