Blackburn Area. Pumpout Card purchase

Nightwatch

Featured Posts

We are presently passing through Blackburn and in a day or two will need a pumpout.

I see there are CRT Pumpout facilities, presumably with card operation. 

Two questions if I may please.

1. Where might I purchase Pumpout cards?

2. Is there a suitable Marina where they could do a pumpout and sell me some diesel?

Niether of the two are desperate. Any local knowledge would be appreciated. Thank you.

17 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

Wouldn't it be great if these just took debit cards...... :(

Utopia, never going to happen. They can't even agree to use the same type of card all over the country. I have loads of southern cards that don't work in northern readers.

32 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

2. Is there a suitable Marina where they could do a pumpout and sell me some diesel?

Which direction are you heading through Blackburn? East, or west, or are you happy to backtrack for a pumpout? Not that I can help much, but could be useful for some one with local knowledge.

Assuming your in Blackburn then I think your next best bet is Riley green, they operate some hire boats as well as moorings so assume they could do pumpouts/diesel. No personal experience though. 

Wheelton Boat club might be worth a try as there's a PO at wheelton top lock. Some one might sell you a card. There's also a small boatyard there but I don't know if they do diesel. A bit further on you have white bear marina at Adlington who definitely do diesel and pumpouts. It was BWML so dont know if the PO was pay or card operated. 

If your still in Burnley I'd go to Reedley marina. 

Depending on how quickly your moving then you can buy cards from the crt offices at Wigan (trencherfield mill) it's quite an experience!

On 03/11/2022 at 16:55, jonathanA said:

Assuming your in Blackburn then I think your next best bet is Riley green, they operate some hire boats as well as moorings so assume they could do pumpouts/diesel. No personal experience though. 

Wheelton Boat club might be worth a try as there's a PO at wheelton top lock. Some one might sell you a card. There's also a small boatyard there but I don't know if they do diesel. A bit further on you have white bear marina at Adlington who definitely do diesel and pumpouts. It was BWML so dont know if the PO was pay or card operated. 

If your still in Burnley I'd go to Reedley marina. 

Depending on how quickly your moving then you can buy cards from the crt offices at Wigan (trencherfield mill) it's quite an experience!

I state this very strongly. Riley Green is a waste of space. Stopped there, about 1400. Couple of people sitting outside their boat. I called across. They told me that he’s away on lunch be back soon. Decided to wait. Five minutes later the same person called across and told me he had phoned the owner? Or someone, and the message was we have no diesel and not doing a pumpout. Recommended we head to Ellabeck in Adlington. We did and couldn’t have got better service.

So, Riley Green, give it a miss. In my opinion. Why do people run and operated a service but have no intentions of selling stuff or helping people.

• Greenie 2

2 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

I state this very strongly. Riley Green is a waste of space. Stopped there, about 1400. Couple of people sitting outside their boat. I called across. They told me that he’s away on lunch be back soon. Decided to wait. Five minutes later the same person called across and told me he had phoned the owner? Or someone, and the message was we have no diesel and not doing a pumpout. Recommended we head to Ellabeck in Adlington. We did and couldn’t have got better service.

So, Riley Green, give it a miss. In my opinion. Why do people run and operated a service but have no intentions of selling stuff or helping people.

Probably because its winter and there are few boats requiring their services.

On 07/11/2022 at 13:08, Tracy D'arth said:

Probably because its winter and there are few boats requiring their services

I share Nightwatch's frustration. It seems to be the way of it on the L&L. Not just a winter thing either - boats passing even in summer probably won't reach double figures (even in a week sometimes) and of those, most won't require anything. Nor is it limited to Riley Green. It's probably one of the reasons they diversify into other revenue streams. (Hapton: moorings only, Altham: RCR, Riley Green: Tipis and such-like or just close.

I also concur with the good experience at Ellerbeck.

Purely for information purposes, and no help to Nightwatch, we stuck our hire boat into the Marina at Apperley Bridge on the L&L for a pump out and they were really good. Quick, clean efficient and topped up our water afterwards to boot. Very friendly and helpful. Had quite a chat during the operation and a look at a Bear Boating boat as well. Definitely recommended.

• Happy 1