Leeds, Liverpool, Skipton to Greenberfield.

Pete Glynn

Featured Posts

9 minutes ago, Peugeot 106 said:

This might help. It is from our log from our first canal cruise summer 2019. 2 crew average age 72. We are not super speedy but neither are we super slow! Hours are the last column and are engine hours. Ignore column 1 then locks, miles, engine hours total and day.A71431EC-ADC3-4DD8-BB6E-C5672B68CE24.jpeg.c1f7bdf34101cbc4ccc752282f9e8f46.jpeg

Apologies wrong thread but I also have timings for the Leeds Liverpool if you want them

On 07/11/2022 at 16:56, midnight cowboy said:

Of course if you make good time you could moor near the Anchor inn at Salterford and see the stalactites in their cellar.

We phoned the Anchor to book for Sunday lunch whilst leaving Lower Park after repairs. We choose a time. Upon arrival we got the impression that he had only just opened. The food was ‘okay’,certainly edible. Service was ‘okay’. But the pub was cold to be fair. Now this was some weeks ago. We came away a little disappointed in truth. For a number of reasons.

I have looked on the web a couple of weeks ago and it says the Anchor is ‘ Temporarily Closed’. This normally means closed for the unforeseeable future. A shame. I don’t like to see pubs closing.

Edited to add. I hadn’t read the whole thread.Therefore hadn’t seen the note of explanation from the licensees. In which case I really do wish them well for the future, hoping of course that they do in fact are successful in reopening the Anchor long term.

Edited by Nightwatch

• 2 months later...

Sad state of affairs. When we had the hire boats, the Cross Keys was a banker for night 1 and the Anchor the ideal pub for the last night of their holiday. Shocking situation that neither can make a viable business despite lovely locations. 

Used to love the Anchor, but it's years ago since we were there. Nice place for an overnight stop, especially if you could get on their moorings. (Though we once nicked a spot on somebodies LTM there as a boating neighbour told us the boat was out on a long term cruise)

• 10 months later...

Always been a big supporter of the Anchor. Sadly, there has been a revolving door of tenants over the years - largely down to rents imposed by the owning company (Star Inns). I truly hope the latest survive and look forward to popping down over Christmas (good that her dad and brother both lived on boats so a real affinity with the canal) 

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, RichardH said:

Always been a big supporter of the Anchor. Sadly, there has been a revolving door of tenants over the years - largely down to rents imposed by the owning company (Star Inns). I truly hope the latest survive and look forward to popping down over Christmas (good that her dad and brother both lived on boats so a real affinity with the canal) 

I hope so too, but like any canal pub in the countryside getting enough custom to stay solvent is not going to be easy, especially paying rent to a greedy pubco... 😞

And somewhere like the Anchor is unlikely to have enough support to be bought and run as a community pub like the Gardener's in Sheffield, or being proposed for the Royal in Dungworth -- the odds of enough boaters coughing up enough to do this must be close to zero... 😉

Edited by IanD
  • Greenie 1