Leeds, Liverpool, Skipton to Greenberfield.

Pete Glynn

Featured Posts

The family are hiring from Silsden Boats, Mon 5th Jun 2023 to Friday. Just doing some early planning for the trip. We intend just going to Skipton for Monday night, no problem there. But Tuesday I'm thinking of going to Greenberfield for Tuesday night, turning at the winding point just after bridge No 156 and mooring for the night just before lock 44. I've planned it on CanalPlan and it says a tad over 7 hours, which should be fine, if accurate. But the fact there are 15 locks to pass through, gives me cause for concern. Additionally, we've hired narrowboats from them a number of times, but this time we're hiring one of their widebeams for the first time. Any advice / thoughts much appreciated.

Pete.

Edited by Pete Glynn

2 hours ago, Pete Glynn said:

The family are hiring from Silsden Boats, Mon 5th Jun 2023 to Friday. Just doing some early planning for the trip. We intend just going to Skipton for Monday night, no problem there. But Tuesday I'm thinking of going to Greenberfield for Tuesday night, turning at the winding point just after bridge No 156 and mooring for the night just before lock 44. I've planned it on CanalPlan and it says a tad over 7 hours, which should be fine, if accurate. But the fact there are 15 locks to pass through, gives me cause for concern. Additionally, we've hired narrowboats from them a number of times, but this time we're hiring one of their widebeams for the first time. Any advice / thoughts much appreciated.

Pete.

We hired a 58' x 10' widebeam (how big is the one you're hiring?) on the L&L a couple of years ago, and you definitely can't travel at the same speed as a narrowboat either in open stretches of canal or passing moored boats, because a widebeam displaces a lot more water.

I'm used to always travelling faster then canalplan estimates on a narrowboat, but found I was travelling slower than estimated on the widebeam. It's not the locks that are slower (though you can't share, obviously...), it's the bits in between.

Edited by IanD
  • Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Pete Glynn said:

The width of the boat isn't on their website Ian, but it's 55' long, so it's probably a similar size. Thanks for replying Ian, that was my concern as well as the number of locks.

Pete.

15 locks in a day -- even wide ones -- isn't a problem if you've got a crew big enough to have several operating them, which I assume you have?

Gosh, widebeam. That's fun. With a tiller, the steerer can't just nonchalently lean over the side of the boat to line up with the lock side.

31 minutes ago, PeterGl said:

4 adults.

... in which case the crew-operating-efficiency is related to the previous evening's wine consumption ...

3 hours ago, Pete Glynn said:

... Skipton ... to Greenberfield for Tuesday night, ...bridge No 156 ... CanalPlan and it says a tad over 7 hours, ...

12 miles and 15 locks 5 swing bridges. Yes, easy day, even with a deluge both from the sky and from the wine-merchant.  It's the navigator who tells Canalplan how long to allow for each mile/lock/bridge, rather than t'other way around. I'd use 20mins/mile, 8mins/lock and 5mins/bridge on that section based on observed progress over the years. It does assume crew walks at 14mins/mile and sets off from the boat in sufficient time to set the locks. Add about 5 mins for each lockflight to allow for crew lethargy/inattention/wine-excess ... and best wishes for a relaxing trip (and good-value for your £285/person for the Mon-Fri short-break)    🙂

Edited by PeterScott
sp

25 minutes ago, PeterScott said:

Gosh, widebeam. That's fun. With a tiller, the steerer can't just nonchalently lean over the side of the boat to line up with the lock side.

... in which case the crew-operating-efficiency is related to the previous evening's wine consumption ...

12 miles and 15 locks 5 swing bridges. Yes, easy day, even with a deluge both from the sky and from the wine-merchant.  It's the navigator who tells Canalplan how long to allow for each mile/lock/bridge, rather than t'other way around. I'd use 20mins/mile, 8mins/lock and 5mins/bridge on that section based on observed progress over the years. It does assume crew walks at 14mins/mile and sets off from the boat in sufficient time to set the locks. Add about 5 mins for each lockflight to allow for crew lethargy/inattention/wine-excess ... and best wishes for a relaxing trip (and good-value for your £285/person for the Mon-Fri short-break)    🙂

I'd still much prefer a tiller to the wheel my hire had -- yes you could see along the side, but it was very slow to steer with no feedback feel of the tiller angle (except looking behind you at a small pointer on top of the rudder).

Wine, beer or gin consumption -- or all three... 😉

I'd say 3mph (20mins/mile) is too optimistic for a wideboat along this section based on my experience (it's OK for a narrowboat). 14mins/mile for walking is also quite brisk for most people...

(but still, that trip will be fine for a day in June with 4 adults)

When we did that stretch a couple of the swing bridges were absolute sods to move, pretty much impossible for one person (me) -- maybe they've been fixed by now, or 2 people might be needed...

If you're in Skipton overnight the Beer Engine is highly recommended... 🙂

Edited by IanD
  • Greenie 1

In June earlier this year we were waiting at the entrance to Foulridge tunnel, northbound.

They had hired a fat boat from Silsden. Wasn’t his first hired, but his last widebeam. He said there’s no advantage having a fat boat.still the same number of seats, galley can’t cook anymore food than a narrowboat. We were ‘stuck’ in Skipton for a few months this year and all the wide beam hire boats struggled with the limited widths and restricted space.

As has been mentioned, visibility along the side isn’t good. Niether is the reach for the engine controls if you are tillering to turn to port.

My advice, for what it’s worth, is, reconsider and choose a narrowboat. Either way, a great part of the country. We left Skipton a week or two ago, we suffered alternator problems, so have only got as far a near Blackburn. But we have found the going hard. Especially today. Blowing a hooley out there. (It probably won’t be in June next year, hopefully.)

Footnote. No idea how your opening post has appeared.

4 hours ago, Pete Glynn said:

Pete.

Edited by Nightwatch

10 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

In June earlier this year we were waiting at the entrance to Foulridge tunnel, northbound.

They had hired a fat boat from Silsden. Wasn’t his first hired, but his last widebeam. He said there’s no advantage having a fat boat.still the same number of seats, galley can’t cook anymore food than a narrowboat. We were ‘stuck’ in Skipton for a few months this year and all the wide beam hire boats struggled with the limited widths and restricted space.

As has been mentioned, visibility along the side isn’t good. Niether is the reach for the engine controls if you are tillering to turn to port.

My advice, for what it’s worth, is, reconsider and choose a narrowboat. Either way, a great part of the country. We left Skipton a week or two ago, we suffered alternator problems, so have only got as far a near Blackburn. But we have Lund the going hard. Especially today. Blowing a hooley out there. (It probably won’t be in June next year, hopefully.)

Personally speaking I certainly wouldn't hire a wideboat again on a canal -- lots more space inside especially bedrooms and living space, but a lot less pleasant to steer and navigate with, which to me is one of the joys of canalling.

If you spend a lot of time stationary (or living on one) and not much time moving then one might be preferable, but not if you spend a lot of time travelling like we do -- and I suspect the OP will be doing going by his plans.

The L&L was of course built for widebeam boats, but not always as wide or as square-shaped as today's -- and it was deeper dredged in those days. I found it a lot more difficult to make good progress than a narrowboat on the same stretch of canal, it felt more like trying to push a house through the water (against significant resistance) than a narrowboat slipping easily through the water...

Edited by IanD

You may find progress through the locks slower as you will be competing with all the other boats swarming out of silsden, so may have a bit of queuing at gargrave/bank Newton, at very least you will most probably have to turn a lot of the locks. 

I'm not sure your progress will be that much slower as its a hire boat so the throttle will be pushed against its stop 😀  (only joking ).  I have been overtaken by a silsden widebeams some of which, seem to be  in an awful hurry. 

A good backup plan might be to wind just before greenberfield plenty of nice mooring on that stretch

I think there is a width restriction on one of the greenberfield locks, hopefully sorted by next June....

It's a lovely stretch of canal for sure. 

12 minutes ago, Pete Glynn said:

Thanks Jonathan, worth bearing in mind if times against us, but the days are long in June, and we realise there's no pubs around there. 

Pete. 

That's fine, you'll have had lots of delicious (and cheap!) beer in the Beer Engine in Skipton the night before... 😉

beer engine.jpg

Edited by IanD

On 03/11/2022 at 13:16, jonathanA said:

Is the cross keys st East Marton closed ? That was always worth a visit in the past.

Sadly, we have walked past the pub and the condition of the structure has deteriorated a great deal in next to no time. Sad.

Thanks nightwatch. Hope you get past the trials of wigan. 

A shame about the cross keys but its all too common. I expect it will soon be turned into 23 horrible modern semis and townhouses..... 'built sympathetically to the setting'  as they say.... 

• Happy 1

5 minutes ago, midnight cowboy said:

Of course if you make good time you could moor near the Anchor inn at Salterford and see the stalactites in their cellar.

If it's open. Google Maps says "Temporarily closed", the Q&A are not so sure...

anchor.jpg

From their Facebook page:

Dear lovely customers
Two days ago came the yearly renewal of our license…
Meaning we were due to pay to operate our license for a further year at The Anchor Inn.
As you’ve seen recently our roof suffered collapse of a chimney and forced us to close whilst works were carried out. This also meant us opening whilst covered in scaffolding.
Unfortunately the brewery couldn’t really help and our other venue had to support the losses which led to massive problems. Problems, there, that could also be terminal.
Two days ago we paid to renew The Anchor’s licence for another year.
We did this, however, purely to ensure we could give many of you one more evening in your village pub. After this weekend we will have to close our doors. Costs are soaring and we just can’t make the figures work.
It is our hope that, with some good fortune, we can reopen for an element of time during Christmas for everyone. This could maybe gather enough momentum to go again next year, but sadly we can only hope at this point.
Unfortunately as it stands after Sunday we will have to close The Anchor Inn.
From our entire family we wanted to say Thankyou and we do hope you have the very best festive season possible. It maybe tough, but as we did with Covid, we will all get through.
The Anchor’s story, no matter what, will go on we’re certain. The village and this stunning little pub will be forever in our hearts.
If we don’t get to see you at Christmas be sure to have the one you absolutely deserve. Maybe we will be able to be a part of that..
Best Wishes
Emily, Lee & The Anchor Inn Team

• Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...