Refugee volunteers to help restore canal

booke23

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, robtheplod said:

Good to have a purpose, seems like a good plan?

Indeed. Better than sitting around doing nothing while waiting to hear about their asylum claim. If the CRT could get them working on offside vegetation and maybe train them up on dredging that’d be great! 

40 minutes ago, booke23 said:

Indeed. Better than sitting around doing nothing while waiting to hear about their asylum claim. If the CRT could get them working on offside vegetation and maybe train them up on dredging that’d be great! 

Yes that’s a good idea. They will be used to boats in water 💦😁😱

• Horror 2

7 hours ago, David Mack said:

Fine if they are genuine volunteers. But I am a bit uncomfortable with the idea that people, who we do not allow to work and earn money to support themselves and their familes, should be pressured into working for free, even if for a good cause.

So does that mean basically you don't believe Saddam and the reasons he gives in the article.   Also do you think a charity like Care 4 Calais would pressure people into volunteering.

13 hours ago, Ianws said:

The article is misleading and sloppy in its use of language which promotes confusion around asylum seekers, refugees and illegal immigrants. Asylum seekers can't have bank accounts and can't work but can volunteer. Refugees have had their asylum claim accepted and can work.

Thank you for clarifying this. I’d have expected better from the BBC.

On 02/11/2022 at 22:58, Ianws said:

I've had a few asylum seekers volumteer with the charity I work for. They can't work and want to contribute something. The article is misleading and sloppy in its use of language which promotes confusion around asylum seekers, refugees and illegal immigrants. Asylum seekers can't have bank accounts and can't work but can volunteer. Refugees have had their asylum claim accepted and can work  thus us just the start of their new problems  From Citizens Advice.

"If you’ve claimed asylum and been given refugee status, Asylum Support and 'section 4' support will stop 28 days after the decision.

This means you’ll:

• stop getting your cash allowance

• have to move house - if you’ve been given somewhere to live as an asylum seeker"

They have to open a bank account, get a  NI number, find somewhere to live, get a job or sort benefits. All within a very short period. This is where many can struggle and can end up homeless. 

Illegal immigrants, may or may not be asylum seekers, as its hard now to find a way to claim asylum without entering illegally to be able to do it. 

The people I met were mostly well qualified, really nice people, who had fled persecution, either on their own or with  their families from places like Libya, Egypt and Syria. 

Spot on - I wish the BBC and press published these points more - it might quell some of the hysteria.

Thanks for being so informative

T

• Greenie 2