A vision for British inland navigations network

Heartland

Featured Posts

27 minutes ago, mykaskin said:

I wish the Thorne lock would be lengthed, would help a lot for us historic types - but probably of little use to most. 

Mike

Us historic types in the north have boats suitable for Thorne Lock, and historically the narrow boats operating in Yorkshire were of a length suitable for the waterways they were operating on. You could try cutting a few feet out of yours to make it historically correct for northern waterways. 😉

• Greenie 2

21 minutes ago, Pluto said:

Us historic types in the north have boats suitable for Thorne Lock, and historically the narrow boats operating in Yorkshire were of a length suitable for the waterways they were operating on. You could try cutting a few feet out of yours to make it historically correct for northern waterways. 😉

Only short narrow I know of other than tugs is Elland - not sure if there were any motor narrow boats made shorter lengths? Wouldn't be the first full length working boat to be shortened - Monarch would be just one example.

Maybe time to change Vicky for a barge!

2 hours ago, mykaskin said:

Only short narrow I know of other than tugs is Elland - not sure if there were any motor narrow boats made shorter lengths? Wouldn't be the first full length working boat to be shortened - Monarch would be just one example.

Maybe time to change Vicky for a barge!

There are quite a few narrow boats in the lists of boats weighed at Castleford in the late 19th century, and in the CHN boat register for 1793-1828.

If folks would like Thorne lock to be lengthened they are free to raise the funds and donate it to C&RT by prior arrangement that the money would be used for said purpose. There would be surveys feasibility study and design costs and project management  costs to take into account. 

If a meaningful sum could be raised perhaps C&RT would be willing to estimate budget costs for the project .  

6 hours ago, MartynG said:

If folks would like Thorne lock to be lengthened they are free to raise the funds and donate it to C&RT by prior arrangement that the money would be used for said purpose. There would be surveys feasibility study and design costs and project management  costs to take into account. 

If a meaningful sum could be raised perhaps C&RT would be willing to estimate budget costs for the project .  

I think they've just replaced the bottom gates, so would be 25 years before it would be worth doing anyway...

3 hours ago, mykaskin said:

I think they've just replaced the bottom gates, so would be 25 years before it would be worth doing anyway...

That should give you enough time to raise the funds .🙂

1 hour ago, MartynG said:

That should give you enough time to raise the funds .🙂

I don't know, there still has been no work done of the foot bridge over the second entrance to Braunston marina, I think all the money that was bequeathed was used up thinking about it.

11 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I don't know, there still has been no work done of the foot bridge over the second entrance to Braunston marina, I think all the money that was bequeathed was used up thinking about it.

Yes, I have heard the thoughts of consultants come at a high price.