Fancy helping a newbie?

LilMissMolly

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I think that many see replies from experience boaters as negative, but I think many are trying to ensure that new potential boaters go into with their eyes wide open and do not spend tight resources on near worthless boats. Only today, we had a potential new boater who did not seem to know about CaRT's conditions you have to comply with if you register as having no home mooring. We recently had a chap who bought a boat with a less common engine that early in his journey to his new moorings refused to start. If he had consulted earlier, he might have bought a boat with a more common engine. So it goes on.

Find out all you can about the CaRT requirements. Learn all you can about batteries and charging because that is all too often a MAJOR problem area for new boaters, and try to get a grasp about how all the boat systems work. Also, don't hesitate to get the forum's opinion of any boats you are interested in.  Then you will have a much better chance of having a good outcome, do not take comments that do not accord with your views as negative until you have given them some thought.

We have also had two this week who have commissioned hulls and now cant fit in them what they want.

14 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

We have also had two this week who have commissioned hulls and now cant fit in them what they want.

Of course even if you do a lot of careful planning, you can still find that with real life constraints things won't quite fit where you want and you have to change things... 😉

On 02/02/2023 at 20:21, Robby789 said:

Just curious to know, how did you get on? Seeing this is dated back in 2022 and you had a fair few replies. Did you make the plunge, work out ok? I am in a position re total newbie, reading more negative than positive. 

Definitely going ahead!

Still on the search for the perfect boat!

There’s one that’s a strong contender but overall, the market doesn’t seem that fab currently - so hoping it picks up over the next few months and I have some more options to choose from.

in all, I got some really good advice here; like what to look out for when searching, as it’s so much more than just a solid hull and engine!

the more technical side seems to be a case of learning as you go, the general consensus is you can’t learn everything beforehand but what you can do is give yourself a good advantage by learning what is a decent buy!

I was also put in touch with a members niece, so got to go out and see them on their boat and ask questions, their water pump gave up the ghost whilst I was there and they said they only got it replaced less than a year prior!! - so certainly understand the notion of bring out another thousand now! 😂 there’s always the potential of a cost around the corner!

I also discovered that one of my new colleagues lives on a boat and has done for the last 6 years! - so I now have the advantage of picking his brain; decided against billing for mooring as apparently the sewage can be a bit of a problem and instead been suggested somewhere else, going there tomorrow to hopefully put a holding deposit down (he said they held his for over 6 months whilst he was looking back then!) so fingers crossed!

Hoping in all to be purchased and aboard by May - but I’m being incredibly optimistic with that! 

best of luck in your search!!! x

Lilmiss - thats great to read that all is going to plan for you then, and the fact a work colleague lives on a boat is a bit plus and must really help any doubts you might have.  As you have said, this forum does seem to have so much valuable advice. Too much in my case right now, bit of a minefield to be honest with what consitutes perm. living aboard for a start / and having an 'address'- which is a must for me for the first few years at least.

May will not be a long time coming around, so fingers crossed all goes to plan for you. 

4 hours ago, Robby789 said:

living aboard for a start / and having an 'address'- which is a must for me for the first few years at least.

Basically, find an address to use which is not your boat. A relative or friend, or buy yourself a BTL to use for the purpose.

It's simply not possible to emphasise how critically important this is, unless you fancy living truly under the radar. Pay cash for everything, work self employed for cash only, etc etc. 

Lots do this successfully.

7 hours ago, MtB said:

It's simply not possible to emphasise how critically important this is, unless you fancy living truly under the radar. Pay cash for everything, work self employed for cash only, etc etc. 

Lots do this successfully

They do indeed, it's called the black economy and is essentially stealing from the rest of us who pay taxes all our lives and make sure we have National Insurance credits, this means we have contributed to education and other essentials, plus as a bonus at the pension end of life we get the full whammy.

It's a sad fact of life that even the most respectable people pay cash to folks working for them, knowing  full well this is not going in to the economy, and the recipients stick the money in their pocket.

It also means people who are trying to run legitimate small businesses are competing against unregulated, uninsured and untaxed persons.

It's high time action was taken. 

29 minutes ago, LadyG said:

They do indeed, it's called the black economy and is essentially stealing from the rest of us who pay taxes all our lives and make sure we have National Insurance credits, this means we have contributed to education and other essentials, plus as a bonus at the pension end of life we get the full whammy.

It's a sad fact of life that even the most respectable people pay cash to folks working for them, knowing  full well this is not going in to the economy, and the recipients stick the money in their pocket.

It also means people who are trying to run legitimate small businesses are competing against unregulated, uninsured and untaxed persons.

It's high time action was taken. 

Very true. But I was only saying this to impress on Robby how important it is to organise himself a land address - with a postcode - in order to avoid all this. 

12 minutes ago, MtB said:

Very true. But I was only saying this to impress on Robby how important it is to organise himself a land address - with a postcode - in order to avoid all this. 

Absolutely, I use a relative's address, it's invaluable, though I minimise it's use to prevent inconvenience.

Most deliveries can be arranged independently although I did use a marina address for my driving licence, they accepted mail, but of course it's not as secure as your own letterbox.

Edited by LadyG

On 30/10/2022 at 14:23, LilMissMolly said:

I’m rather taken with the idea of eventually purchasing a narrowboat and becoming a liveaboard but I’m aware I know absolutely nothing.

My reasons are that I simply feel bored living in a house and find it mundane and unfulfilling (I know a boat will keep me on my toes, always something to do!)

another aspect is that the rental market is nuts and I hate having to have a housemate and throwing money at a place that isn’t even mine (based in Northampton, so it’s pretty expensive here!)

I’m looking at booking a boat holiday to see if I would actually enjoy it as so far, my experience has been visiting a friend on theirs - so no experience navigating, maintaining etc.

Wondering if anyone can offer some advice and share some stories of their experiences?

Will it be a good idea? What sort of things can I brush up on, research and learn about in the meantime to make the transition a bit easier if I decide to go ahead?

Realistically I probably won’t begin looking until I know all the facts and decide if it’s actually a good idea - plus the market has gone bonkers thanks to lockdown and cost of living!

Here’s my current situation if it helps you formulate your points on the reality:
- 29 year old nurse and drive

- Based in Northampton and work here
- have a cat
- only ever resided in houses; quite like my washing machine and wifi but not a big tv watcher (more kindle or gaming) so only really use one for when I game.
- DIY skills go only as far as building flat packs right now.

- Have already looked into potential costs of mooring and licenses (£3,631.12 annually max as it’s dependant on size obvs)

- understand that I’d need to get a survey done when looking to buy (hull condition, engine condition, wiring and bilge condition and functionality?)

- understand blackening every 2 years and BSS every 4.

Really I’m looking for:
- what is the reality of living the Narrowboat life?
- daily running of a Narrowboat (such as mandatory jobs etc)
- the tech stuff I should learn/know
- costs: running and buying something decent 
- what makes a good boat
- common issues and how to fix
- what to do when things go wrong 

- what type of toilet is best

- what’s it like doing it solo

If I did decide to go ahead I guess it’s figuring out what sort of size would be appropriate and realistically what price I should be expecting to pay (my budget at present is around £35k max) but I’ll save more if needs be. I imagine something that’s in good shape and liveaboard ready won’t come cheap.

I’d quite like something with a traditional layout (if that’s the right word? So bedroom, bathroom and kitchen/lounge being their own rooms per say) with fixed double bed, shower room, kitchen, no fixed seating and some form of deck to sit out in when the suns out. Plus storage!!

Anything you lovely bunch are willing to share will be greatly appreciated!
Let’s hear it all!
The horrors, the victories and everything inbetween and beyond!

Im just revisiting the original post, and my first thought is that the budget is too small, and that things like somewhere to sit out, separate rooms are not essentials, they are added extras. No boat can fulfill all requirements.