Insurance range - tidal interconnectors eg Teddington to Brentford

Tim Read

Featured Posts

HI,

Its renew time again, and my broker is pointing me at another insurer.

I keep seeing Non-Tidal Inland waterways - but surely that exclude Teddington to Brentford, Bits of the Trent, the last length of the river Avon before Bristol ?

This must eb a very common problem - which insurance companies over these ranges ?

Any ideas ?

Tim,

They say:

Territorial Scope: Ashore or afloat on inland non tidal waters and interconnecting tidal waterways of the UK, including the Broads, and the river Thames not seaward of the Thames Barrier. 

Fantastic - why can't everyone else be that clear. They are also below the other asking prices ( which I have to say makes me wonder a little - looking gift horse in mouth perhaps ).

Thanks for the suggestion.

Most policies include for interconnecting tidal waters, which covers you for the Thames down to at least Bow Creek, Avon above Bristol, New Bedford River (and the passage between Salters Lode and Denver Sluices), the Trent between Cromwell and Keadby, and the occasionally tidal bits such as the Severn above Gloucester. But if in doubt ask.

In my experience if you want to go a bit further on tidal waters, insurers will be happy to let you for little or no extra premium, particularly if you are going as part of an organised trip, and on the basis that you will only go if the weather is good.

1 hour ago, PeterF said:

I am with CraftInsure and they cover interconnecting tidal waterways. You can get a sample policy from their website AFAIR.

Our Craftinsure policy specifically states interconnecting tidal waterways and as far downstream as the Thames Barrier

8 minutes ago, Tacet said:

Having arrived at the Thames Barrier, the temptation to pass through is too much to bear.  I don't suppose you would be all that popular with VTS if you get very close and then go about.

I agree you would want to go through before turning.  If I were ever going to do that I would check with the insurance to see what the view was in terms doing that, and pay an additional premium if necessary.

8 minutes ago, Alway Swilby said:

GJW were happy for us to go round Trent Falls including anchoring there for a couple of hours. 

GJW also have covered me  down the Thames as far as a line from about Whitstable to the Essex coast. However I did have to notify them of the dates I was out. Enabled me to do the Essex rivers 🤭