A canal walk to a great pub: the Aqueduct Inn, Froncysyllte, Wales

David Mack

Featured Posts

7 hours ago, David Mack said:

The thread title I posted was the headline of the article I referred to. It should not have been changed, notwithstanding the inaccuracy.

Its a bit off if someone changes the title of your post without your permission

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Its a bit off if someone changes the title of your post without your permission

Maybe, but since the Guardian link URL (see below) correctly names the location, presumably the editor (wrongly) changed the article title (which David used as the thread title) because more people have heard of Llangollen -- but that still doesn't make it right...

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2022/oct/28/a-canal-walk-to-a-great-pub-aqueduct-inn-in-froncysyllte-wales

Perhaps someone should write to the Guardian and get them to correct their article, then everyone would be happy? 😉

Edited by IanD
  • Greenie 1

While we're on the subject of mistakes, the article says the Chirk Tunnel is the longest canal tunnel in Britain which you can safely walk.  I suppose their definition of "safely" may differ from mine, but it's definitely not the longest with a towpath.  I would guess that would be Netherton Tunnel, unless you can think of a longer one?

22 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

While we're on the subject of mistakes, the article says the Chirk Tunnel is the longest canal tunnel in Britain which you can safely walk.  I suppose their definition of "safely" may differ from mine, but it's definitely not the longest with a towpath.  I would guess that would be Netherton Tunnel, unless you can think of a longer one?

I did wonder when someone would notice that. I think you are correct

On 30/10/2022 at 10:22, David Mack said:

The thread title I posted was the headline of the article I referred to. It should not have been changed, notwithstanding the inaccuracy.

:D

Damned if you do, damned if you don't, eh?

I've not visited the pub myself, but I have looked it up on the internet and it does seem to be where Tonka says it is.

Edited by Athy

7 minutes ago, Athy said:

:D

Damned if you do, damned if you don't, eh?

I've not visited the pub myself, but I have looked it up on the internet and it does seem to be where Tonka says it is.

I drive past it regularly.  It has a new mural on the gable end.

1 hour ago, doratheexplorer said:

I was thinking that  too.

1 hour ago, doratheexplorer said:

Must be another geographical mistake, its the longest in Wales which you can safely walk?  Unless they term the occasional firework and disgruntled person in Netherton as unsafe? 

44 minutes ago, Athy said:

How splendid -it should get some sort of award.

I see that it includes a different version of the location!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Froncysyllte

"The anglicised spelling Vroncysyllte was commonly used until the mid 20th century."

(the pronunciation of "F" here is a "V" -- the same reason most people mispronounce "Gandalf" instead of "Gandalv"...)

"Froncysyllte (/ˌvrɒŋkəˈsʌlt/; Welsh pronunciation: [vrɔŋkəˈsəɬte]), colloquially known as Fron..."

Edited by IanD
  • Greenie 2

41 minutes ago, IanD said:

."

(the pronunciation of "F" here is a "V" -- the same reason most people mispronounce "Gandalf" instead of "Gandalv"...)

Not a word which I have ever had occasion to pronounce, but should the need arise in the future, I shall be saffy.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Not a word which I have ever had occasion to pronounce, but should the need arise in the future, I shall be saffy.

I lived in the area for a good few years and as you would imagine i had occasion to pronounce the word and failed almost every time, so Vron it was, for me at least.

There's another "mouthfull" not far away, Rhosllanerchugog, even the locals call that Rhos.

I tried honestly I did but I was soundly defeated 

• Greenie 2

I'm looking forward to being taught Welsh by our Welsh speaking granddaughter.

She's three next month but is fully bilingual English/Welsh (and yes, we are proud of this)

But we have friends here in England who look puzzled when we say this and ask "Why is she learning Welsh?"

:angry:

• Greenie 1