Living on a boat with Universal Credit

Hass87

Featured Posts

36 minutes ago, David Mack said:

It all gets a lot more straightforward if you own the boat you live on. Basic boats can be acquired for a few £000 (try ebay, gumtree etc. as well as regular boat sales sites) although at the bottom end of the market the boat will be small and basic and probably in need of repair and upgrading. GRP boats are generally cheaper size for size than narrowboats, but are usually less well insulated and maybe without heating, so less suitable for winter living.

I wonder if that's a way round the problem. Instead of rent, the OP buys the boat on a "hire purchase" type agreement at so much a month. In effect, it's like a loan repayment so UC may well accept it as fundable. If the owner "lends" him the money in the first place - no actual money need change hands at all, but in effect the user owns the boat and assumes responsibility. The original owner can then "buy" it back when required.

• Love 1

11 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I wonder if that's a way round the problem. Instead of rent, the OP buys the boat on a "hire purchase" type agreement at so much a month. In effect, it's like a loan repayment so UC may well accept it as fundable. If the owner "lends" him the money in the first place - no actual money need change hands at all, but in effect the user owns the boat and assumes responsibility. The original owner can then "buy" it back when required.

How is the 'buyer' going to be able to explain (to the LA 'credit' people) where his sudden income of £x00 per month has come from ?

11 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

How is the 'buyer' going to be able to explain (to the LA 'credit' people) where his sudden income of £x00 per month has come from ?

Lottery win? Support from family? Bet on the horses? A bit of creativity is always necessary when dealing with bureaucracy! When you're stony broke (which possibly you never have been), gaming the system is essential for survival. The system, in the meantime, does its best to avoid giving you what you actually are entitled to.

33 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I think you will find UC do not pay your debt 

payments, legal mortgages or any other gadgets. 

That idea won't work then. But a variation might...

That is what had crossed my mind. If the OP had a share agreement that required them to pay an agreed sum each month as their contribution for the costs of the boat, whatever that might be, then that might be accepted as a living expense.

15 hours ago, Peanut said:

Would a boat in a boat share need to be commercially licenced?

It depends on who is registered with CRT as the licence holder.

If it is the management company, then a commercial licence is needed. 

If it is one of the shareholders, then a private licence is needed.

That is how it worked when I had shares in two boats before buying my own back in 2013.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

It depends on who is registered with CRT as the licence holder.

If it is the management company, then a commercial licence is needed. 

If it is one of the shareholders, then a private licence is needed.

That is how it worked when I had shares in two boats before buying my own back in 2013.

Our shared owners boat is managed by a management company but is registered with an owner, so we only pay for a private licence.

On 26/10/2022 at 11:47, Hass87 said:

I have a question regarding living on a boat and claiming Universal credit.

I have recently unfortunately had a relationship breakdown where I was living with my ex partner and since splitting have found it difficult to find affordable housing. 

The option may be there for me to reside on a boat for a period of time. I'm currently claiming Universal credit and was wondering if anyone can give me any advice or information as to what fees are eligible to be paid. 

The Boat is not morred at a private mooring and the owner has a continuous traveller licence.  

I reckon you’re better staying on land. If you’re on benefits you’ll get your rent paid either way. 

It’s a lot of effort moving on to a boat and learning a new way of life. Maybe your efforts would be better spent getting yourself back into work. 

I think you’ll be adding unnecessary  stress to your life. 

Good luck whatever you decide 👍

As to claiming the Navigation Licence and mooring fees. I can confilm that this is covered by Universal Credit as a combined sum up to a value equal to the maximum yearly Local Housing Allowance (LHA) rate. This is for a boat ownered by the person claiming Universal Credit. I have arranged this for a couple of boaters moored here. You will need to upload a copy of your mooring agreement and your navigation licence as proof. If you don't have access to a scanner, it can be done at the job centre. Any award of fees will be paid a month in arreas.  

Edited by nbfiresprite

2 hours ago, nbfiresprite said:

As to claiming the Navigation Licence and mooring fees. I can confilm that this is covered by Universal Credit as a combined sum up to a value equal to the maximum yearly Local Housing Allowance (LHA) rate. This is for a boat ownered by the person claiming Universal Credit. I have arranged this for a couple of boaters moored here. You will need to upload a copy of your mooring agreement and your navigation licence as proof. If you don't have access to a scanner, it can be done at the job centre. Any award of fees will be paid a month in arreas.  

I got both the mooring fee and licence and also got the BSS accepted as a 'cost of accomodation' for a couple of boaters in our marina.

They both owned their boats and I do not think a rented / leased or any other non-ownership system would be covered.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

The OP ain’t been back for awhile. 
Hopefully he’s sorted himself out. 

But I do think anyone on land and only just claiming benefits is best staying on land.

I would. 
The system is better set up for a land dweller. 

Trying to move on to a boat for the first time and cope with navigating the social benefits is too much. 

• Greenie 1