CRT getting tough on the K&A

ditchcrawler

Featured Posts

That is not a boat at all - it is a heap of rotting junk that is getting worse year by year.  It will never move again in a horizontal direction.

It can only be vertical - either upwards by removal, or downwards by sinking. Just a question of what comes first.

I wonder he did with the £7K he was given to repair it?

• Greenie 2

This guy has been in the CRT enforcement system for 10 years on and off. In this time he has had help from many agencies and people. I know someone who's seen him be combative with CRT employees, he's behaved badly in meetings with the CRT and has refused to engage or even meet the CRT half way. Some people are their own worst enemy, and I'm afraid this is a long time coming.

• Greenie 1

32 minutes ago, Old Son said:

Imagine if we all did this? Some people are disgusting, excrement down the bank??? What a lovely sight when taking a walk down the towpath.

Not just that, London is experiencing its first cholera outbreak for many years....that's what sewage systems were invented for..

Maybe Matty means Polio, though it’s not completely clear there’s an outbreak? There was live polio isolated when testing in one sewage treatment works.

It’s possibly originally from live vaccine shedding as there has not been any identified children affected and it appears it was last found in  May? 

interesting read. Make sure your kids/ grandchildren are all vaccinated ! 

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/poliovirus-detected-in-sewage-from-north-and-east-london

10 hours ago, matty40s said:

Not just that, London is experiencing its first cholera outbreak for many years....that's what sewage systems were invented for..

Edited by Stroudwater1

3 hours ago, Stroudwater1 said:

Maybe Matty means Polio, though it’s not completely clear there’s an outbreak? There was live polio isolated when testing in one sewage treatment works.

It’s possibly originally from live vaccine shedding as there has not been any identified children affected and it appears it was last found in  May? 

interesting read. Make sure your kids/ grandchildren are all vaccinated ! 

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/poliovirus-detected-in-sewage-from-north-and-east-london

Thanks for that explanation. Interesting read.

15 hours ago, matty40s said:

Sewage systems!! :o How very " last year " havnt you heard about " Dry toilets " lubbly jubbly.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Grassman said:

It looks like the same one we passed in June

image.jpeg.bb338fd5899e24953f6417047bdaaf2a.jpeg

It doesn't look very well, does it? But the original article said that he owned two boats; couldn't he move on to the other one?

1 hour ago, Allan(nb Albert) said:

CRT have just published court orders relating to four boats. On inspection, these are all almost three years old. 

capture-2022-10-27-09-27-06.jpg

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/the-publication-scheme/governance/legal-documents/court-action-to-remove-boats-from-our-waterways

Most recent (Sarah Louise) is May this year.

57 minutes ago, Athy said:

It doesn't look very well, does it? But the original article said that he owned two boats; couldn't he move on to the other one?

Puzzling isn't it? Why would anyone need two boats anyway? 

Whichever one he is living on, CRT can surely lift out the other without the rigmarole and delay of getting a court order.

• Happy 1
  • Haha 2

On 26/10/2022 at 12:28, Bobbybass said:

I have been down this section several times. Because the boats can't move...they often tip their cassette toilet contents down the bank..When I complained to CART they put up a sign on the towpath. " Human excrement in bank ..please stay on footpath"  ☹️

This does happen and I have seen it with my very own eyes, but its not a K&A thing, it happens everywhere. I have even seen a pumpout taking place directly into the canal just above some online moorings (not K&A). However the notion of hundreds of non moving boats on the K&A tipping sewage out of the window is just a convenient urban myth. Due to Covid we have not been to the K&A for a couple of years, but in my experience the vast majority of liveaboards do move every 14 days and try to keep within, or at least close to, CRT rules. This is why the boater who is the subject of this thread is particularly irritating, he just hands loads of ammunition to the K&A bashers and the anti-liveaborad contingent, and also to the anti-boater faction within CRT.

I am sure the CRT bean counters keep close tabs on the "income from boating" against the "expense of supporting boating", its not a good figure to start with but we don't need boaters making it even worse.

• Greenie 3

39 minutes ago, Athy said:

Surely there is no such thing? That would be akin to putting someone who hates cricket in charge of the County Championship.

No, its a bit like putting the owner of the sportsground in charge of cricket when he's a rugby man. 😀

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, MtB said:

Puzzling isn't it? Why would anyone need two boats anyway? 

Whichever one he is living on, CRT can surely lift out the other without the rigmarole and delay of getting a court order.

Great point, and when you think of ALL the additional costs of two boats, twice the Licence fees, Insurance, BSS, servicing etc !!!

I feel for anyone at risk of losing their home. But, you have to abide by the rules, guidance or laws, or you face the consequences. His boats don’t look to healthy.

Theres a ramshackle boat on the L&L, been around for years, propelled by a very small outboard engine. It moves on regular occasions and as far as I know is not in trouble with CRT.

I think it sometimes referred to as the ‘Bath boat’.

25 minutes ago, Fender151 said:

Great point, and when you think of ALL the additional costs of two boats, twice the Licence fees, Insurance, BSS, servicing etc !!!

This assumes both boats actually have licenses, insurance, BSS and a full service history. Quite a brave assumption I'd say given the standard of maintenance I am seeing in the photos. 

On 26/10/2022 at 09:28, Bee said:

Oh dear. What can you say? There are lots of people infringing rules all over the system by living on boats where they probably shouldn't, lots more who struggle to afford the fees and cost of their boats and are already just one step away from being homeless and any reasonable person should have some empathy with them. Then along comes this bloke and gives the authorities and reactionaries a stick to beat them with. Its not that hard to keep beneath the radar, its not hard to keep all your stuff off the towpath and its not hard to keep a reasonably tidy boat and I have built three narrowboats on the towpath without bringing the wrath of BWB down on my head. The bloke is a fool and should be reminded that he owes it to other people not to screw things up for everybody else. Just one other point though, It's all very well for CRT to tell someone to shift their boat from CRT water but as CRT effectively own pretty much all the water that is hardly reasonable.

This is someone with no intention of staying under the radar. 
He’s making a public display to show complete contempt for CRT, a “Dirty Protest”. 
It’s completely disagreeable and I have no sympathy for him, the way he’s treating the place is horrendous. 

But, hey I know nothing of what he’s gone through. And there’s obviously a shit load of issues with this guy. 

He does mention tools being taking away by CRT. I wonder if he meant the bailiffs? 

As an aside; I had a post censored earlier in the thread. Instead of Teacher simply removing the obscenity he chose to remove the whole sentence. It may appear to some that I have been directly offence to someone when in fact I simply used the F word. Let it be known to all that I hadn’t aimed an F at anyone and I certainly didn’t aim an F at Alan de E who I was responding too. 
He (Athy) could easily have astrixed out the letters uck and left the F or instead used whatever word he liked from his vast dictionary or wordy wordiness to replace it. 

What I actually said was “ …. knows what’s going on here" or summat like that but with the F word at the start. 
So pretty minor stuff. 
Just thought I’d say. 

• Greenie 3

6 hours ago, David Mack said:

6 hours ago, David Mack said:

Sarah Louise was added 27/06/2022.

I was wondering why it took CRT almost three years to add these four boats to the list. 

Edited by Allan(nb Albert)