Tile adhesive for shower and stove

Adam1991

Featured Posts

I'm not so keen on the rapid set stuff unless it's for a floor you need to walk on quite quickly. It's what I've used, (Non rapid set version) for my hearth/stove area. 

For the shower get a good waterproof grout. Some people recommend Epoxy based ones for wet areas.

I did all my bathroom tiling with PU adhesive/sealant rather than tile adhesive. Then grouted with flexible grout. I know some will disagree but personally I wouldn't tile a shower area on a boat because I've found that over the years vibrations, knocks of hitting lock walls, thermal expansion & contraction, etc, can all cause cracks in the grout and then you get damp behind the tiles and all sorts of problems. I used a panel product called Showerwall. Expensive but it eliminates all of those issues. 

I used high-temp silicone (Plumbaflu) to tile behind my stove. You're not just tiling over wood are you?

There are a range of good PU adhesive sealants on the market. Toolstation do Stixall and CT-1 and Screwfix do Sticks like Sh*t and a more expensive one called The Dog's Bollocks. I'd love to be in the marketing meeting when they come up with these names! 

If you're using a PU adhesive or high temp silicone for tiling you just need a blob in each corner of the tile and for big tiles a blob in the middle. You don't need to cover the whole surface. Just do one row at a time and wait for it to go off for a few hours as it doesn't have the instant grab of tile adhesive. 

Edited by blackrose

^^^^ seconded for Showerwall - I think the one we used was called Wetwall, but they are all large sheets of waterproof laminate - brilliant for house or boat, far better than tiles and grout.

Sounds like an advertising slogan!