Water Pump Shaft on Beta BD3

Tonka

Featured Posts

Hi there, I have recently changed the water pump on my Beta BD3. All is good but the shaft - spindle on the new one is slightly longer than the original one. No problems you would think but because of the extra length I have not been able to re-fit my hand start chain as the tensioner for it would catch the water pump shaft. I have assumed the shaft is hardened so am concerned as to how I would cut the length down a bit. Have thought about grinding it down but I am worried about the induced heat. Would it damage the water pump.

So I am after solutions.

Cheers

20211109_113906.jpg

Who supplied the new pump?  Have you the right one, or is there an earlier or later version. which you should have?  Talk to the supplier, and/or Beta.  If this is a common problem they will know the fix.

Sawing or grinding it off is not the way to go.  If it is hardened you won't saw it anyway and if you grind it it won't  be hard anymore, unless you have some very expensive machinery.  

If it is the right part then it is  either built wrong, or fitted in a way that was not intended.  

N

1 minute ago, BEngo said:

Who supplied the new pump?  Have you the right one, or is there an earlier or later version. which you should have?  Talk to the supplier, and/or Beta.  If this is a common problem they will know the fix.

Sawing or grinding it off is not the way to go.  If it is hardened you won't saw it anyway and if you grind it it won't  be hard anymore, unless you have some very expensive machinery.  

If it is the right part then it is  either built wrong, or fitted in a way that was not intended.  

N

Sleeman & Hawken supplied the half pump with the shaft.