Shevington Tunnel Canal

Chris Lowe

Featured Posts

I wonder if Buccaneer66 has researched the Leeds & Liverpool Canal, Lancaster Canal South End?

This tunnel business sparked a memory.

I was born in 1947 and brought up in 4 Redvers Road Wood Green, London N22. During the early fifties, the family next door moved, and were replaced by Mr. & Mrs. Murch, with their two sons Paul & Alan. They hailed from Leyland, Lancashire. While the families got on well, they decided to move back to Lanacashire into a 'new build' house in Whittle-le-Woods. Being the very first residents in the new road, they had the opportunity to name the road, and they named it after me - 'Derek' Road.

They invited us up as a family to help 'warm' the house. Derek Road is off Mill Lane, and their back garden was steep, rising up from the back of the house at the top of which was an overgrown path beside a waterway. Paul, Alan and myself ventured along the canal, beneath Moss Bridge as I now know it, but stopped at the Whittle Tunnels. The waterway was still in water but weedy. At the time I never knew about canals, and nothing about that one, except that there was a wider basin just below Moss Bridge.

Using the National Library of Scotland maps, it is possible to see through the overlays where this brach went. From Johnsons Hillock locks to the Walton Summit, where an interchange basin looks to connect with a tramway leading to Preston.

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16.6&lat=53.69322&lon=-2.63601&layers=6&b=1

Derek Road runs through what was Swansey Mill. Mr. & Mrs. Murch lived in No 6 Redvers Rd, Wood Green, and moved into No 6 Derek Road around 1955.

Moss Bridge remains, but not the canal.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.6920959,-2.6350533,3a,45.5y,70.82h,85.96t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sQ47YaTPiFL9rjgZ9A7K3Sw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, Derek R. said:

I wonder if Buccaneer66 has researched the Leeds & Liverpool Canal, Lancaster Canal South End?

This tunnel business sparked a memory.

I was born in 1947 and brought up in 4 Redvers Road Wood Green, London N22. During the early fifties, the family next door moved, and were replaced by Mr. & Mrs. Murch, with their two sons Paul & Alan. They hailed from Leyland, Lancashire. While the families got on well, they decided to move back to Lanacashire into a 'new build' house in Whittle-le-Woods. Being the very first residents in the new road, they had the opportunity to name the road, and they named it after me - 'Derek' Road.

They invited us up as a family to help 'warm' the house. Derek Road is off Mill Lane, and their back garden was steep, rising up from the back of the house at the top of which was an overgrown path beside a waterway. Paul, Alan and myself ventured along the canal, beneath Moss Bridge as I now know it, but stopped at the Whittle Tunnels. The waterway was still in water but weedy. At the time I never knew about canals, and nothing about that one, except that there was a wider basin just below Moss Bridge.

Using the National Library of Scotland maps, it is possible to see through the overlays where this brach went. From Johnsons Hillock locks to the Walton Summit, where an interchange basin looks to connect with a tramway leading to Preston.

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16.6&lat=53.69322&lon=-2.63601&layers=6&b=1

Derek Road runs through what was Swansey Mill. Mr. & Mrs. Murch lived in No 6 Redvers Rd, Wood Green, and moved into No 6 Derek Road around 1955.

Moss Bridge remains, but not the canal.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.6920959,-2.6350533,3a,45.5y,70.82h,85.96t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sQ47YaTPiFL9rjgZ9A7K3Sw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en

It is remembered though....Screenshot_20221027-211617_Maps.jpg.e6c753da25b7e42fd9fbfac7c528a554.jpg

• Greenie 1

11 hours ago, Pluto said:

There was another arm off the canal at Gathurst, as shown in the 1802 survey of the canal. I have also attached details of the canal in Haigh Woods, which created a link between collieries there and the iron works on the river Douglas.

1802 Dean.jpg

Clogs & Gansey 7, Haigh canal.pdf 487.34 kB · 5 downloads

My brother and I independently re-discovered the lost Haigh Canal - we were walking round the plantations and found it and worked it all out.

10 hours ago, buccaneer66 said:

I have done the Lancaster canal but route only I haven't updated it yet to add all the locks bridges and other features, but this is the area of the canal/tramway interchange at Walton summit.

Great work. Big 'Greenie'.

On 27/10/2022 at 22:30, StephenA said:

My brother and I independently re-discovered the lost Haigh Canal - we were walking round the plantations and found it and worked it all out.

This one has now been added to the map.

So much going on in this area I may manage to get past Gathurst with the mapping soon.