The Cape of Good Hope pub

Featured Posts

5 hours ago, The Bearwood Boster said:

Hignetts was the best Chippy in Chester when I was little.The second best was Les & Rita's,I've heard that their family run a chippy in Rhyl(I think).

Hignetts was definitely the best, it then became Chip o Dee and was never the same

14 hours ago, tree monkey said:

We certainly never ate out in my youf, well apart from Hignets chippy restaurant in Chester once in a very very blue moon and that was only because Dad absolutely refused to eat outside in the street, the first time I think I ever ate in a restaurant was a Chinese meal for my 18th and I thought that was dead posh.

Times have changed though. The daily multiple-pint drinkers who used to keep pubs open -- often heavy manual or factory workers -- have largely disappeared, and eating out is much more common nowadays. Pubs need to cater to the clientele they have today, not the one they had 50 years ago...

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, IanD said:

Times have changed though. The daily multiple-pint drinkers who used to keep pubs open -- often heavy manual or factory workers -- have largely disappeared, and eating out is much more common nowadays. Pubs need to cater to the clientele they have today, not the one they had 50 years ago...

The only issue I have with what you say here is I have no idea how pubs were 50 yrs ago, just though I might point that out, no reason really  ;)

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

The only issue I have with what you say here is I have no idea how pubs were 50 yrs ago, just though I might point that out, no reason really  ;)

I'm a few years short of that too -- but not that many... 😞

If someone had said to me in the early 1980s that in 40 years time I wouldn't be going to the pub every night and having 3 or 4 pints of beer (having had two or three at lunchtime at work) I would have told them "No way". But here I am aged 64 and I hardly ever go to a pub and when I do it is to eat food and probably have one pint or one glass of wine. The last time I was in a pub was on 8th October, the Broad Face in Abingdon. I've now made it all the way nearly to Napton without visiting any pubs on the way.

26 minutes ago, Alway Swilby said:

If someone had said to me in the early 1980s that in 40 years time I wouldn't be going to the pub every night and having 3 or 4 pints of beer (having had two or three at lunchtime at work) I would have told them "No way". But here I am aged 64 and I hardly ever go to a pub and when I do it is to eat food and probably have one pint or one glass of wine. The last time I was in a pub was on 8th October, the Broad Face in Abingdon. I've now made it all the way nearly to Napton without visiting any pubs on the way.

I know just what you mean

2 hours ago, Alway Swilby said:

It's all your fault then....😀

We have a very local pub, which we dont use.

It pretends to be a restaurant,  charges top whack for substandard food delivered in a shambolic service style.

It also charges very high prices for ale, lager and wine.

We(not just us, all the marina folks, along with other local boaters) gave it lots of chances, ....new manager, got to have improved, changed, that was last year, cant be as bad now, etc etc

Even the rooms available dont get fixed, someone staying 6 months previously and reporting faults sees exactly the same faults when they next book.

If we had a local pub worth visiting, we would, and maybe eat there, but unfortunately, our local was, and still is shite.

8 minutes ago, matty40s said:

It's all your fault then....😀

We have a very local pub, which we dont use.

It pretends to be a restaurant,  charges top whack for substandard food delivered in a shambolic service style.

It also charges very high prices for ale, lager and wine.

We(not just us, all the marina folks, along with other local boaters) gave it lots of chances, ....new manager, got to have improved, changed, that was last year, cant be as bad now, etc etc

Even the rooms available dont get fixed, someone staying 6 months previously and reporting faults sees exactly the same faults when they next book.

If we had a local pub worth visiting, we would, and maybe eat there, but unfortunately, our local was, and still is shite.

and yet it was good back in the late 1980's

41 minutes ago, Goliath said:

And drop the pickled egg into the bag of crisps is the way to go 😃

When I was an apprentice that was our Friday lunch, packet of crisps with a pickled egg in and a couple of pints in the Two Pigs.

32 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

When I was an apprentice that was our Friday lunch, packet of crisps with a pickled egg in and a couple of pints in the Two Pigs.

I reckon lunchtime trade must have died over the recent years.

Nipping for a pint at lunch seems to have disappeared. 

There was a time when I’d get the school staff out for a pint. 

15 hours ago, Cheshire cat said:

So you are part of the problem 😃

I drink, my wife would say to much, but I recognise the world is changing. When you can get bottles for a £1 in the supermarket you need a good excuse to go to the pub

I have an excuse, the pub is open. I went last evening, I am going this evening, indeed I am running the quiz again tonight and expect the pub will be full again. The pub sells no food and indeed there will be a few dogs in there and no children. The other pub on our street also lets dogs in and does zero food. Yes, its sad to say pubs are in decline but there are still some proper ones about if you look that dont serve food.

58 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Having to teach you no wonder they were drunk

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Goliath said:

When I was at 6th Form, the only day we didnt lunch at the pub was Friday, as the teachers went that day 

26 minutes ago, matty40s said:

When I was at 6th Form, the only day we didnt lunch at the pub was Friday, as the teachers went that day 

Trouble is everything is so serious now.

Unless you look 21 you can’t get served.

In the old days, being under age, as long as we behaved and sat out of sight, we got a pint. (And had a smoke).

5 hours ago, Goliath said:

More than once, when I was in 6th form, our young Maths teacher, who was much closer in age to us than to most of his colleagues, squeezed 4 or 5 of us into his sports car and took us for a lunchtime pint in a pub far enough from school for us not to be discovered...

Can't see it happening these days. 

I passed the Wharf at Fenny Compton at lunchtime but when I’m working alcohol is not permitted until the boat is tied up for the evening. That’s how it was when I was in full time employment and that affects lunchtime trade.

Thankfully this evening I’m tied up between Napton locks 8 and 9 and that means I’m in the Folly. A marvellous place to cap a pretty perfect day.

Next week I’ve got stops at the Dog & Doublet and the Greyhound planned. It’s a hard life.

• Greenie 2
  • Happy 1

• 5 weeks later...

Right, I finally made it yesterday after a month off the boat doing me family stuff. 
Came down (and up) from Long Itchington yesterday, after a late start just made it for dark and came straight in pub. 

I like it. 
I think I very much like it. 
It’s a good pub. Thought it might be big and soulless but it’s a small gaff with a proper pub feel to it. 

Sadly I might have to stay longer than I thought, while I wait to get some coal. But hey, I’ll cope til Monday. 

£4.40 a pint which hurts, but the beers are ace and kept in proper top condition. 
Would I make a long detour again to get to it? Perhaps not, but it’ll always be on my stop over places should I be this way again. 👍👍👍

• Greenie 2

On 03/11/2022 at 18:23, David Mack said:

More than once, when I was in 6th form, our young Maths teacher, who was much closer in age to us than to most of his colleagues, squeezed 4 or 5 of us into his sports car and took us for a lunchtime pint in a pub far enough from school for us not to be discovered...

Can't see it happening these days. 

With the current "Teachers Professional Standards" document it would probably mean you never worked as a teacher again.

However I had a colleague who met his wife while teaching in a boarding school, she used to sneak out, hide in his car boot and then he would drive to a remote pub.   She was in the 6th form at the time.  Another action which would lead to a sacking these days.

34 minutes ago, Goliath said:

I like it. 

Sadly I might have to stay longer than I thought, while I wait to get some coal. 

It's good that you like it after all our suggestions! 

Sounds like you might have time to try Warwick's other hostelries as well. It's worthwhile in my view making the hike over to the Fourpenny Shop and the Old Post Office on West St. 

It's a hard life......

• Happy 1

2 minutes ago, John Brightley said:

It's good that you like it after all our suggestions! 

Sounds like you might have time to try Warwick's other hostelries as well. It's worthwhile in my view making the hike over to the Fourpenny Shop and the Old Post Office on West St. 

It's a hard life......

Yes it did turn in to a few pages. 
thanks for the suggestions. 

I dare say I’ll have a ramble around Warwick (again ) if so I’ll be sure to look them up. 👍

57 minutes ago, Goliath said:

£4.40 a pint which hurts, but the beers are ace and kept in proper top condition. 
Would I make a long detour again to get to it? Perhaps not, but it’ll always be on my stop over places should I be this way again. 👍👍👍

Over six quid down the road from me, I won't be going there again.

• Horror 2