Bantock, have you seen her?

merline

Featured Posts

It's been a few months so I thought I'd give this another go, does anyone know the whereabouts of this 1909 Bantock? Last seen on the L&L at Burscough, not where anyone thought she might be, in a field in Chester etc, possibly sold to someone in Yorkshire. 

Just want to know how she's doing really, also found a few bits n bobs that might be of interest to new owner 

5407633.jpg

FB_IMG_1646933859699.jpg

10 minutes ago, merline said:

I contacted CBS who run the "field near chester" they haven't had IONA, didn't think to ask about EQUUS, neither have appeared in their sales page which I have watched closely ever since 

Thats interesting.

There is a long running dispute between a Tony Dunkley and CRT/CBS. I didn't think that CBS would divulge infomation on which craft had been on their hardstanding at Greenwalls farm to a member of the public due to the sensitive nature of CRT S8 boat removals.

Edited by magnetman

I emailed them, do you have Iona 70885 etc to which the answer was no, I then thought maybe a visual would help so I sent a photo, got a rather terse reply, as stated before....

😆

In fact thinking about it, it was CRT who advised me to contact CBS...

This is the IONA I knew in the late eighties - 1988. My wife Louise steering down Buckby.

607769575_IONAYARMOUTH1989.jpg.9bd32f61db99133f6f74c06ce4ce2a53.jpg

IONA on the left

167842081_IONAGeneral001cropped.jpg.2a8d779e9cb01789c35b8520d5d672b0.jpg

Ernie Carman steering at 'Suttons'

539915365_IONAGen148cropped.jpg.ebefba8f20a7074f6ec82ec5a6245f83.jpg

I don't recall the BCN number. And clearly the superstructure is different, but a Bantock fore end. Are those vertical overlapping plates on the hull?

Owned then by Ernie & Gwen Carman.

Yes you shared those photos with me when I bought her in 2014, I replaced the very rotten wooden cabin along with a lot of other work, unfortunately I didn't get to finish her which is why I want to trace her now, hopefully someone is finishing the work off, certainly nothing appeared to have been done in the six years from me selling her to her disappearance from Burscough 

1 hour ago, magnetman said:

I think the one which was removed by CRT and "theoretically" taken to the "field near chester" at Greenwalls farm was EQUUS. Stainless steel mooring dollies.

Iona was on the same mooring and was craned out on the same day.

While they're both interesting narrow boats, it's the two missing L&L short boats that are more mysterious.  If nothing else they're harder to hide because they are bigger but nobody has seen them since they got craned out.

37 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Iona was on the same mooring and was craned out on the same day.

While they're both interesting narrow boats, it's the two missing L&L short boats that are more mysterious.  If nothing else they're harder to hide because they are bigger but nobody has seen them since they got craned out.

There is a bus stop right beside Greenwalls farm, with the same name. Dodleston.

With vegetation dying down it would be a good time of year for someone to go and have a little look. I did wonder if anyone had flown a drone over the site but it would be very difficult to find the footage if it was just a random youtube upload.

I'm in southern england so much to far to travel but someone must be close by and into sleuthing.

This google sat view apparently taken 2022 does not seem to show any L&L shortboats unless the partly dismantled craft is one.

299939436_Screenshot2022-10-21at11-46-06GoogleMaps.png.7f22bde0067266216cefc5918623cfce.png

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Greenwalls/@53.1494876,-2.9438663,121m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x487ac36d60d9bcf9:0xd4c2951193f5da64!8m2!3d53.149687!4d-2.9453295

Edited by magnetman

Another place where CRT have been known to keep S8  boats is Sharpness Shipyard. There are some narrow boats there and of course the PLANET lightship but doesn't look like there are any Shortboats.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.7190259,-2.479925,125m/data=!3m1!1e3

4 hours ago, merline said:

Yes you shared those photos with me when I bought her in 2014, I replaced the very rotten wooden cabin along with a lot of other work, unfortunately I didn't get to finish her which is why I want to trace her now, hopefully someone is finishing the work off, certainly nothing appeared to have been done in the six years from me selling her to her disappearance from Burscough 

Gosh! I'd forgotten. Can't help there then.

5 hours ago, merline said:

Although I don't think I've seen the black and white one before, an angle I've not seen before, saved to my collection, thanks! 

That was just before Fradley Junction on the Coventry. We stopped opposite some bluebell woods.

We were heading for Chester. Tied in the basin at the bottom of Northgate locks, then headed back South to Aylesbury.

(An aside) LACERTA was thereabouts tied up, still with the Waterways front cabin on.

527132324_LACERTA1(Medium).jpg.852f41ad82659d0bf6da0e668b7d2691.jpg

Edited by Derek R.

On 21/10/2022 at 20:45, merline said:

Interesting to compare IONAS counter with LACERTA, Wfbco got it pretty close! 

Really? Lacerta is a small Northwich boat with a typical small Northwich style counter and Ionas is a Josher (?) style counter not at all close.

Both a nice but not close - I prefer Lacerta's counter. 

Edited by fittie

15 minutes ago, fittie said:

Really? Lacerta is a small Northwich boat with a typical small Northwich style counter and Ionas is a Josher (?) style counter not at all close.

Both a nice but not close - I prefer Lacerta's counter. 

I'll get my coat...

• 1 month later...
On 24/10/2022 at 19:58, merline said:

I'll get my coat...

Just in case you missed it on the other thread the Equus is now advertised for sale by Commercial Boat Services along with the two L&L shortboats.

https://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/dealer/commercial-boat-services-411072/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgvjPmobT-wIV0N_tCh28VwGVEAAYASAAEgKewfD_BwE

No sign of the one you are after but just thought it was interesting. It was mentioned in the historic boats for sale thread.

17 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Just in case you missed it on the other thread the Equus is now advertised for sale by Commercial Boat Services along with the two L&L shortboats.

https://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/dealer/commercial-boat-services-411072/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgvjPmobT-wIV0N_tCh28VwGVEAAYASAAEgKewfD_BwE

No sign of the one you are after but just thought it was interesting. It was mentioned in the historic boats for sale thread.

Yes thank you , I posted the link to it...

As you say, still no sign of the one I'm after 

• Greenie 1

On 20/10/2022 at 11:28, merline said:

FB_IMG_1646933859699.jpg

going back to the original image, ive two questions;

firstly, what do the small square patches of steel running the length of the hull tell us? would that be something to do with cutting out something such as the knees? (Although they appear a bit high for that)

secondly, I see the rubbing strakes are riveted top and bottom where as mine are riveted in the centre without the flat top edge and bottom. Would anyone know when the one method superseded the other?

And looking closer again, I now see the bow is formed from small panels of wrought iron. Lovely. 

To add: maybe I should have said I have front half of a Bantock hull too

Edited by Goliath