Winter stoppage programme

wandering snail

Featured Posts

6 minutes ago, Allan(nb Albert) said:

The list has been changed since you posted as evidenced by page footers ...

Just highlights the OP’s thread, that anyone planning or has to move over this period needs to check the Winter Stoppages regular, if not daily.

9 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Just highlights the OP’s thread, that anyone planning or has to move over this period needs to check the Winter Stoppages regular, if not daily.

That is rather difficult to do as the list contains over 150 stoppages but does not document additions, cancellations or amendments to dates since it was first issued in August.

4 minutes ago, Grassman said:

Don't they notify any changes to the winter stoppage programme as part of the email alerts you subscribe to as and when any changes are made?

This is what I was told that they would do with any 'unforeseen' changes and that the list published at the beginning of this month would not change so boaters should look out for those alerts. Neither of those things have happened.

• Greenie 1

39 minutes ago, wandering snail said:

This is what I was told that they would do with any 'unforeseen' changes and that the list published at the beginning of this month would not change so boaters should look out for those alerts. Neither of those things have happened.

... but the list published at the beginning of this month is known to have changed twice.

CRT have altered the August document at least five times to my knowledge. They have also had URL's pointing to different documents on occasion.

Fairly obviously, if CRT had done what they said a couple of weeks back then at least they would have mitigated the problems they have caused so far.

It is not rocket science. They should either -

Produce a Winter Notices list in August making it clear that one must subscribe to email alerts for stoppage updates

or

Update the list as needed using a versioning system such that changes can be easily identified. Provide an email alert system for list updates to which boaters can subscribe.

Edited by Allan(nb Albert)

1 hour ago, Allan(nb Albert) said:

That is rather difficult to do as the list contains over 150 stoppages but does not document additions, cancellations or amendments to dates since it was first issued in August.

On you previous post you said the list has changed since I put the link on last night and that was off CaRT Stoppage page,  now your saying it hasn’t been amended since August, talk about confusion??? Not that difficult to do as it’s by Canal, so fairly easy to find the system you would like to use.

3 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

On you previous post you said the list has changed since I put the link on last night and that was off CaRT Stoppage page,  now your saying it hasn’t been amended since August, talk about confusion??? Not that difficult to do as it’s by Canal, so fairly easy to find the system you would like to use.

My understanding is that the document is not 're-issued' with a revision date and revsision number but despite (150? ) revisions / changes to the information it has still retained its August issue date.

Normal pratice is to issue a dated document, if any changes are made then the revised document becomes  V1:1 dated xx/xx/xx

The next change makes the document V1:2  and so on and so on.

1 minute ago, PD1964 said:

I said -

CRT have altered the August document at least five times to my knowledge.

... and the document you linked to last night was changed this morning.

Here are the dates that the the Winter Notices list has been changed since it was finalised on 17 August
18 September
21 September

26 September
5 October
18 October
19 October

Hope this helps your understanding

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

My understanding is that the document is not 're-issued' with a revision date and revsision number but despite (150? ) revisions / changes to the information it has still retained its August issue date.

Normal pratice is to issue a dated document, if any changes are made then the revised document becomes  V1:1 dated xx/xx/xx

The next change makes the document V1:2  and so on and so on.

No and Yes

The document contains no version or revision information.

The document is dated (with current date/time) on each page's footer when it is created.

CRT bring out a draft Winter Notices list which is discussed with "interested" parties. A final list is published in August.

• Greenie 1

How do we know we are reading the most up to date version of the stoppage programme.

We are about to embark on a trip from Skipton to the South Oxford. If we make it, it will be a Brucie Bonus.

Oh! This boating life is so relaxing.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

How do we know we are reading the most up to date version of the stoppage programme.

We are about to embark on a trip from Skipton to the South Oxford. If we make it, it will be a Brucie Bonus.

Oh! This boating life is so relaxing.

The South oxford, very sensible.

• Happy 1

23 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

My understanding is the link posted above will be the latest version but if you save the document it can (and probably will) go out of date. CaRT (helpfully??) date each page so at the time of writing it is dated 19-10-2022 01:30:19.

Of course I could be entirely wrong ....

2 hours ago, PCSB said:

My understanding is the link posted above will be the latest version but if you save the document it can (and probably will) go out of date. CaRT (helpfully??) date each page so at the time of writing it is dated 19-10-2022 01:30:19.

Of course I could be entirely wrong ....

Well just save the link then. I’m mean come on it’s not rocket science is it 🙄

On 19/10/2022 at 11:41, Allan(nb Albert) said:

No and Yes

The document contains no version or revision information.

The document is dated (with current date/time) on each page's footer when it is created.

CRT bring out a draft Winter Notices list which is discussed with "interested" parties. A final list is published in August.

The Trust has a stoppages sub group of its Navigation Advisory Group which meets regularly to discuss and advise on stoppages (and now restrictions).  The group comprises representatives of organiastions such as CBOA (me), HNBC, NABO, IWA, and the hire boat operators.  We meet regularly either in person or on-line (or both) and  try and agree a stoppage list for publication in August for the following winter which keeps stoppages as short as possible, and provides alternative routes if possible.  We are especially mindful of the need to try and accommodate commercial users such as the coal and freight boats and to try and avoid holiday periods such as half term and Christmas/New Year.  With the best will in the world there will be amendments  as circumstances change - for example funding may become available at short notice (often third party),  while other third parties change their plans or cancel arrangements made in good faith.  All such alterations are discussed with the sub group prior to being published.  I think Midnight is being unfair in describing the process and the management (by implication including the volunteers on the group) as not fit for purpose.

• Greenie 2

44 minutes ago, fanshaft said:

The Trust has a stoppages sub group of its Navigation Advisory Group which meets regularly to discuss and advise on stoppages (and now restrictions).  The group comprises representatives of organiastions such as CBOA (me), HNBC, NABO, IWA, and the hire boat operators.  We meet regularly either in person or on-line (or both) and  try and agree a stoppage list for publication in August for the following winter which keeps stoppages as short as possible, and provides alternative routes if possible.  We are especially mindful of the need to try and accommodate commercial users such as the coal and freight boats and to try and avoid holiday periods such as half term and Christmas/New Year.  With the best will in the world there will be amendments  as circumstances change - for example funding may become available at short notice (often third party),  while other third parties change their plans or cancel arrangements made in good faith.  All such alterations are discussed with the sub group prior to being published.  I think Midnight is being unfair in describing the process and the management (by implication including the volunteers on the group) as not fit for purpose.

You miss the problem which is that changes to the August finalised list are not being communicated such that boaters can adjust cruising plans accordingly. 

As I posted above, it is not rocket science.

Bearing in mind that CRT has published yet another Winter Notice list today without being clear what changes have been made, I would agree with Midnight that the system is not fit for purpose.