JP3 governor bell crank lever spring pt#028-218

baldrick

Featured Posts

12 minutes ago, BWM said:

I had the same issue and found a solution by adding a split 'keyring' ring to the end of the rod, which allowed the spring to be fitted without stretching it. Works perfectly. I notice your rod has a curved upsweep at the governor end, whereas mine is just straight and appears original. 

Thats a cracking idea! I shall give it a go

Mine has a dog leg in it as shown in the pic below as it allows it to go through a support on the side door. then back to the level of the crank lever...I think the holder is original but Im not sure if the rod is...the spacers on the end which goes to the vertical rod look very home made!image.jpeg.40bb5fd3e5e0ec4cf54c60ca9068601c.jpeg

3 hours ago, frangar said:

Mine has a dog leg in it as shown in the pic below as it allows it to go through a support on the side door. then back to the level of the crank lever...I think the holder is original but Im not sure if the rod is...the spacers on the end which goes to the vertical rod look very home made!image.jpeg.40bb5fd3e5e0ec4cf54c60ca9068601c.jpeg

Cheers, i don't suppose it's the correct way to do it but it has been trouble free. I've added some pictures of the set up on mine in case they're useful.

(A picture, wouldn't let me load any more!)

20221022_144725.jpg

• Greenie 1

The throttle springs we sell are exactly to the Lister pattern. You don't stretch them to suit. The variable bit is the throttle rod which should be adjusted to take up any slack. If you stretch the spring you have affected its performance.. BWM has the right idea. The boat is wrong not the spring!😀

• Happy 1

4 minutes ago, steamraiser2 said:

The throttle springs we sell are exactly to the Lister pattern. You don't stretch them to suit. The variable bit is the throttle rod which should be adjusted to take up any slack. If you stretch the spring you have affected its performance.. BWM has the right idea. The boat is wrong not the spring!😀

I wasn’t suggesting the spring was wrong…I was suggesting the rod in my case wasn’t right!…hence why I asked if you knew the correct length or if you had/made them….

I realised that stretching the spring wouldn’t be the right thing. 

In my case there isn’t enough length on the rod to get it adjusted correctly…it’s about 40-50mm too short. 

On 22/10/2022 at 11:36, frangar said:

On my JP2 the throttle rod  used to rub on the brass guide fastened to the crankcase door, and this had the effect of making the tickover very erratic. I changed the rod for a short length of chromed chain from B&Q, and hey presto! ......  nice steady idle.

45 minutes ago, monkeyhanger said:

On my JP2 the throttle rod  used to rub on the brass guide fastened to the crankcase door, and this had the effect of making the tickover very erratic. I changed the rod for a short length of chromed chain from B&Q, and hey presto! ......  nice steady idle.

Mine actually idles well with the overstretched spring it has now…I just wanted to get it right with a new spring and the correct length rod etc.