INVERTERS - Your opinion on best, and worst

Ca Jon

Featured Posts

8 hours ago, MtB said:

Here is the data label from the cheapo fridge. The fridge which makes my 2,500W PSW Sunshine Solar inverter throw a total screaming wobbly of beeps and flashing red lights when asked to start it:

image.jpeg.a9333d68e363f3880f63ef26f0cd9277.jpeg

I'm gonna try connecting it to a bigger battery next, before mucking about with adding start capacitors.

It looks to have a thermal positive temperature coefficient starter switch instead of a relay. This will be slow to operate  leaving the start winding on longer. That may be why it screws the inverter.

The capacitor is in the run winding.

Capacitors do not give a starting boost but alter the phase angle.

8 hours ago, MtB said:

I find myself wondering if the problem is more to do with the high transient current that capacitor in the circuit diagram draws to initially charge up, than the start current of the compressor motor.

Unlikely, because it's in parallel with the PTC starter which is in series with the motor, not wired across the input -- it's the phase shift capacitor needed for the motor to run.

[mails crossed with Tracy which said the same thing...]

Edited by IanD

8 hours ago, MtB said:

Here is the data label from the cheapo fridge. The fridge which makes my 2,500W PSW Sunshine Solar inverter throw a total screaming wobbly of beeps and flashing red lights when asked to start it:

I'm gonna try connecting it to a bigger battery next, before mucking about with adding start capacitors.

Thats your problem, made in China and supplied by a company her in Suffolk. No chance.

1 hour ago, blackrose said:

Have you seen this thread?

Pay attention to the earthing arrangements of the inverter. The cheap ones on Amazon and eBay tend to have a floating earth.  

Not just cheap ones.

10 hours ago, MtB said:

Thanks Mike.

Without pulling out our fridge at home I couldn't find a rating for a fridge. 

Odd things these inverters I have two 4.5" mains angle grinders one a cheap asda thing and the other a more reputable make. The asda one point blank refuses to work on the inverter-just completely dead, nothing at all no inverter alarms. The other just works no problem.... 

5 minutes ago, jonathanA said:

Thanks Mike.

Without pulling out our fridge at home I couldn't find a rating for a fridge. 

Odd things these inverters I have two 4.5" mains angle grinders one a cheap asda thing and the other a more reputable make. The asda one point blank refuses to work on the inverter-just completely dead, nothing at all no inverter alarms. The other just works no problem.... 

Does the Asda one work when you plug it into the mains? 😉