Energy Support Bill Payment

PNB116

Featured Posts

I’m sure this has been covered elsewhere, but this is what I have found out.

Politicians keep saying that everyone will get this payment (£400) since April and again in July and accepted that the 1% who ‘live in a park home, houseboat or off the grid’ will get it, but have so far failed to announce how, except to say that it will be announced ‘this autumn’

We are, of course, being conveniently forgotten, but I would like to start pushing for this to happen soon. I am not a great ‘Twitter’ er, but have tried to ask some questions on there and wondered if those of you who knew more about it would like to push that. Link here

You could also write to your MP (though you will have to be resident in their constituency). I have contacted mine twice and have had bullshit answers both times, but will try again. 

I have also contacted CAB and hey will update me if they get anything more

regards

Paul

• Greenie 1

12 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

If you are a liveaboard CCer you are by definition a 'nomad', so how can you be resident in an MPs constituency ?

You use the MP of the constituency you're registered to vote in through a 'delclaration of local connection'.  Residency is not a criterion, although it should be a place where you do spend time.  Personally, I'm locally connected to Paddington Basin....

42 minutes ago, PNB116 said:

Politicians keep saying that everyone will get this payment (£400) since April and again in July and accepted that the 1% who ‘live in a park home, houseboat or off the grid’ will get it, but have so far failed to announce how, except to say that it will be announced ‘this autumn’

We are, of course, being conveniently forgotten, but I would like to start pushing for this to happen soon. I am not a great ‘Twitter’ er, but have tried to ask some questions on there and wondered if those of you who knew more about it would like to push that. Link here

You could also write to your MP (though you will have to be resident in their constituency). I have contacted mine twice and have had bullshit answers both times, but will try again. 

regards

Paul

This from October may give a little bit more information (for example how it will work for for park homes) but still leaves things vague for those without an electricity supplier:

"Households who are eligible for but who do not receive AFP or the £100 heat network payment, because they do not have a relationship with an electricity supplier for example, will receive the £100 via the AFP Alternative Fund which will be provided by a designated body. We will confirm details of the AFP Alternative Fund shortly."

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/energy-bills-support/energy-bills-support-factsheet-8-september-2022

1 hour ago, DaveP said:

You use the MP of the constituency you're registered to vote in through a 'delclaration of local connection'.  Residency is not a criterion, although it should be a place where you do spend time.  Personally, I'm locally connected to Paddington Basin....

Yes I am aware of this (assuming you have actually registered to vote) but if you recall the OP said :

1 hour ago, PNB116 said:

...........  though you will have to be resident in their constituency

4 hours ago, PNB116 said:

regards

Paul

Surely if you live in a house then gas and or electricity are a necessity so you get the payment. Irving on a continuous cruising boat then those items are not a necessity so you do not need the payment

16 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Surely if you live in a house then gas and or electricity are a necessity so you get the payment. Irving on a continuous cruising boat then those items are not a necessity so you do not need the payment

That had occurred to me too: most liveaboards generate their own electricity, and many will heat their boats using a solid--fuel stove.  But the most common method of generation electricity on a boat is by running the engine, so fuel is a necessity. Most of these boats will also need gas for cooking, also a necessity unless you're going to live on salad and sandwiches. So yes, those items are a necessity and these boaters should receive the government's assistance.

Our electricity bill arrived a couple of days ago; I opened it with some trepidation, but was pleased to find that it was for £30 less than the previous quarter's. Is that because the government assistance has been deducted from it, or simply because we have been prudent with our use of power?

12 minutes ago, Athy said:

That had occurred to me too: most liveaboards generate their own electricity, and many will heat their boats using a solid--fuel stove.  But the most common method of generation electricity on a boat is by running the engine, so fuel is a necessity. Most of these boats will also need gas for cooking, also a necessity unless you're going to live on salad and sandwiches. So yes, those items are a necessity and these boaters should receive the government's assistance.

Our electricity bill arrived a couple of days ago; I opened it with some trepidation, but was pleased to find that it was for £30 less than the previous quarter's. Is that because the government assistance has been deducted from it, or simply because we have been prudent with our use of power?

Its been a hot Summer, so maybe you have used less?

We got our bill as well, along with this:

This is £67.00 less per property than usual, to pass on the discount of the Energy Bill Support Scheme. From October, you'll receive a monthly discount on your account of £66 (rising to £67 from December to March) from the Government. 

This is £67.00 less per property than usual, to pass on the discount of the Energy Bill Support Scheme. From October, you'll receive a monthly discount on your account of £66 (rising to £67 from December to March) from the Government.

Those of us in houses who use oil were told we would get £100 towards the cost of oil as we don’t have gas but not how to claim it. As we are getting the rebate from our electricity supplier at a fixed rate the whole thing is as usual not properly thought out.

39 minutes ago, Dav and Pen said:

Those of us in houses who use oil were told we would get £100 towards the cost of oil as we don’t have gas but not how to claim it. As we are getting the rebate from our electricity supplier at a fixed rate the whole thing is as usual not properly thought out.

Same here, waiting to see it turn up, oil went up again this week for us.

Looked at my gas account on line recently in order to submit a (house) meter reading. Reading was around 5 units less than my previous (company) estimated bill and, taking into account Gov support, monthly DD payment is rocketing to more than £4 per month 😵💫.

51 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

Its been a hot Summer, so maybe you have used less?

We got our bill as well, along with this:

That's possible, though the previous bill went up to mid-July, and from memory we had had lots of warm weather before that.

I have scanned our bill and have found no mention of a £67 deduction. What  is odd is that I noticed that both the day and night rates were listed as "estimated", even though a bloke from British Gas had come round and read our meters a week or so before the bill arrived. Arse/elbow?

Well nothing at all has been done yet, and may well not be..

Commons 5 minutes ago, new Prime Minister standin....

Will energy price scheme support those not on gas grid?

Mark Harper, Conservative MP for South West Surrey, says a seventh of the population are not on the gas grid. He asks Hunt to make sure the energy price guarantee will work for those off-grid.

"I will certainly bear that point in mind," replies Jeremy Hunt, "we need a scheme that works practically," and says it "isn't particularly easy to design a scheme" like that

22 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Well nothing at all has been done yet, and may well not be..

Commons 5 minutes ago, new Prime Minister standin....

Will energy price scheme support those not on gas grid?

Mark Harper, Conservative MP for South West Surrey, says a seventh of the population are not on the gas grid. He asks Hunt to make sure the energy price guarantee will work for those off-grid.

"I will certainly bear that point in mind," replies Jeremy Hunt, "we need a scheme that works practically," and says it "isn't particularly easy to design a scheme" like that

Well that a bit misleading! Most of those who are not on mains gas are on mains electricity, which is why the £400 energy (not just electricity) payment is being made via electricity bills. Of course that doesn't help the much smaller number of people who are not on mains electricity or who are but don't have a domestic electricity supply contrasct.

• 1 month later...

The latest news for ccers (NFA) is not good, in that the local authority has to verify your address before any payment is made so, unless you pay council tax, you won't be able to get any help....at the moment. NBTA are doing a Zoom meeting next week to try to find a way forward: https://www.bargee-traveller.org.uk/online-public-meeting-6th-december-include-off-grid-households-in-government-400-energy-bills-support-scheme/

Edited by wandering snail

14 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Good news, a big wad of cash arrived, this is a second installment (£500), again no email or explanation, it may be because I'm older, not sure,, but I'm happy :)

That sounds like your Winter Fuel Payment, not the energy support grant, which is a different lump of money.

I know, I got it too.

14 minutes ago, LadyG said: