Rate scenic canal pics for CRT.

Jim Riley

Featured Posts

I tried but had to give up, depressed, what a terrible set of photos. Did they try really hard to find so many badly composed pictures of not so good parts of the canal system?.  There is one of Tod in there and they even managed to find the ugliest angle of one of the better bits of an already pretty town.....and that's Walsden water...NOT the canal.

• Greenie 2

As an antidote to those dismal pictures have a look at the winning photos of the recent IWA competition:.....

https://waterways.org.uk/about-us/news/2022-photography-competition-results

Three of the four winners feature boats, and the forth, of the Rochdale canal, was taken by a boater.  😀

• Greenie 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Jim Riley said:

Looks to me as though they have too many html programmers on their payroll with nothing to do. 

• Greenie 1

I see that they do invite the public to upload their own photos.

This snippet from the linked site arguably provides an argument for maintaining/ increasing funding of the waterway to take pressure off the NHS. 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Our research shows that our waterway network provides £1 billion of savings to the NHS each year through health and wellbeing benefits offered to everyone that visits. So, now more than ever, it is critical that we can continue to offer scenic sanctuaries for people to visit through working together to protect this valuable resource.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Edited by Ronaldo47
typo correction

I did 4 and gave up.

This takes the biscuit, encouraging lettuceLiz to cut the NHS budget by another billion so she can give some offshore account holder another tax break...

Our research shows that our waterway network provides £1 billion of savings to the NHS each year through health and wellbeing benefits offered to everyone that visits

12 minutes ago, matty40s said:

This takes the biscuit, encouraging lettuceLiz to cut the NHS budget by another billion so she can give some offshore account holder another tax break...

Did you get as far as the photo that was pretty much the back of a CRT sign?

They seem to be presented  in random order.  I got a different photo every time I enterered the site, without  having voted previously. It took more than 10 photos before one appeared featuring a boat.  Many were dated almost a decade ago, so not necessarily reflecting the current state of the waterways. 

Well that's ten minutes  of my life I'll never get back. I had to give up before the end.

There were probably two three stars and the rest either one or two  

The three stars had composition, but included a house peeping out of some bushes with some foreground water.

There were two which rated due to sunlight, ie colour 

I could do better myself, having taken a few photos in the days when one had to pay for film and processing.

I would not be so vain that I'd allow most of these to be published.

10 hours ago, Ronaldo47 said:

They seem to be presented  in random order.  I got a different photo every time I enterered the site, without  having voted previously. 

It says at the top blurb that there are over 30,000 photos and it seems they come out in a random order.

I managed 3 before I gave up !

13 hours ago, MtB said:

JIm the link appears to include your Facebook User ID - expect incoming 

Edited by Midnight

They are a particularly crap selection of holiday snaps, mostly with little or no merit as a photo, and seldom with any interest as a scene. But then any random selection of people's holiday snaps are unlikely to make you want to visit a place. It would be very interesting to know what form of analysis is going to be applied to the results - it must presumably involve categorising each shot in some manner, and that would immediately bias any conclusions. I suspect it will prove whatever it is that CRT want it to prove.

Tam

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, Ronaldo47 said:

It's clearly all to do with wellbeing rather than boating.

Haven't C&RT just promoted themselves as an offshoot of the NHS 😁.  I must say though that spending time looking at those terrible photos did nothing at all for my 'wellbeing' - probably the contrary in fact, as it made me rather cross and sad.

Tam

Edited by Tam & Di
  • Greenie 2

15 hours ago, Ronaldo47 said:

I see that they do invite the public to upload their own photos.

This snippet from the linked site arguably provides an argument for maintaining/ increasing funding of the waterway to take pressure off the NHS. 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Our research shows that our waterway network provides £1 billion of savings to the NHS each year through health and wellbeing benefits offered to everyone that visits. So, now more than ever, it is critical that we can continue to offer scenic sanctuaries for people to visit through working together to protect this valuable resource.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

If they invite photos from the public, then Peter Scott's pictures are surely among the best.

1 hour ago, Big Bob W said:

I wonder how CRT sourced the photos?

It appears that most of the photos are sourced from geograph.org.uk .

Photos on Geograph are not intended to show the most scenic views of an area, simply to record a place at a moment in time. All Geograph photos are 'creative commons' licenced, meaning that you or I can use them for free if we credit the copyright holder/photographer. So CRT haven't paid anything for the photos. However I don't think it is in the spirit of 'creative commons' to use 30,000 photos for commercial purposes....

26 minutes ago, John Brightley said:

It appears that most of the photos are sourced from geograph.org.uk .

Photos on Geograph are not intended to show the most scenic views of an area, simply to record a place at a moment in time.

And the first 12 I viewed were all dated between 2007 and 2013, though the next one was 2016. So the 'moment in time' is not particularly recent.

Tam