Gifs - yes or no?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Gifs - yes or no?

• Yes, keep them
    • No, remove them
    • Indifferent
    • Abstain

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 23/10/22 at 17:25

Featured Posts

40 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

They are quite annoying.

If we banned everything that was "quite annoying" we'd soon have no forum left! 😮😂

Of all the arguments either way the bandwidth argument is probably the strongest. I've really no problem with gifs but the forum should be usable in the back of beyond when one is reliant on the signal bouncing off a rusty corrugated tin hut two fields away.

They are quite annoying.

If we banned everything that was "quite annoying" we'd soon have no forum left! 😮😂

Of all the arguments either way the bandwidth argument is probably the strongest. I've really no problem with gifs but the forum should be usable in the back of beyond when one is reliant on the signal bouncing off a rusty corrugated tin hut two fields away.

They are quite annoying.

Edited to add - triplicate posting caused by the corrugations in the tin hut

Edited by magpie patrick

1 minute ago, magpie patrick said:

I see what you mean 😂

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

I believed you the first time. Really.

48 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

Well you, as in the "forum management", asked for my opinion and I freely gave it. But just the once!

Edited by nicknorman
  • Happy 1

1 hour ago, magpie patrick said:

If we banned everything that was "quite annoying" we'd soon have no forum left!

But there's nothing stopping anyone finding a particular gif that appeals to them and inserting it in a post currently.

My objection is not to the gifs themselves, but to the "idiot button" that makes it far too easy to spam a thread with inane animated images.

See above for examples!

• Greenie 1
  • Horror 1

2 hours ago, magpie patrick said:

But gifs WERE banned from here about 5 or 6 years ago and we've managed fine ever since. 

What's prompted the decision to turn them back on? 

I notice there is a 300kb limit on them too. 

37 minutes ago, MtB said:

But gifs WERE banned from here about 5 or 6 years ago and we've managed fine ever since. 

What's prompted the decision to turn them back on? 

I notice there is a 300kb limit on them too. 

There should also be a 2.1Ah limit as well.

19 hours ago, magpie patrick said:

An animated GIF doesn't take any more bandwidth than a photo of the same size, the animation runs locally on your computer after download.

If the size limit for GIFs is 300kB (can't see where this is defined?) that's smaller than for photos (is it?) -- and I assume that people don't want to ban photos, since these can be far more interesting than many posts? 😉

So the only reason for banning them is if people find them irritating -- I find some of them amusing and some irritating, just like all the other posts on CWDF... 🙂

• Greenie 2

14 minutes ago, IanD said:

If the size limit for GIFs is 300kB (can't see where this is defined?)

I found several gifs of the rotating Vertigo record label and on trying upload any of them as my avatar, I kept getting an error message telling me the file size limit was 300kb. Or might have actually been 299kb but whatever it was, it was WAY smaller than the 3mb file I was trying to upload.

17 minutes ago, IanD said:

If the size limit for GIFs is 300kB (can't see where this is defined?) that's smaller than for photos (is it?) -- and I assume that people don't want to ban photos, since these can be far more interesting than many posts? 😉

Animated gifs were developed in the late 80's and came to real prominence in the early WWW, back when most people were on dial up. The format was optimised for small size and fast download, as well as could be done back in those days. Some can be bloated now, as @MtB has found in the previous reply, but most will have no problem getting under the 300kB limit.

It the size limit for animated gifs is kept small, then bandwidth does not become an issue, but on low performance devices having multiple animating on the screen dies impact on device performance.  One goo thing about the forum it that it is very lightweight in nature, this just chips away at that.

Year, a little irritating out the corner of your eye when reading and a little juvenile, but forums are dull enough. I don't do it, but keep them. Break out the fairy lights and any decorations you can. We especially need it here talking about 'What is the best oil?' and 'Should I use a 2741A spanner, or a 2741B?' 

5 hours ago, RB-T said:

Year, a little irritating out the corner of your eye when reading and a little juvenile, but forums are dull enough. I don't do it, but keep them. Break out the fairy lights and any decorations you can. We especially need it here talking about 'What is the best oil?' and 'Should I use a 2741A spanner, or a 2741B?' 

tumblr_mx65rdNKtJ1s2o8soo1_1280.gif

(Well you did ask!)

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, john6767 said:

It the size limit for animated gifs is kept small, then bandwidth does not become an issue, but on low performance devices having multiple animating on the screen dies impact on device performance.  One goo thing about the forum it that it is very lightweight in nature, this just chips away at that.

I cannot imagine any vaguely modern display device (e.g. a phone) being loaded to any significant amount by animated GIFs, the required processing power is miniscule.

High definition cat (or boat) videos, maybe... 😉

If any one misses being able to post animated gifs, simply extract each frame from the gif you wish to use and save them as allowable jpeg, or png image files. Post these images in sequence. CWDF users can print out each image and collate them in a stack of sheets in the correct order. Staple down the left hand edge, then quickly flick through the pages using the right hand edge to recreate the brief repeating movie effect.

1 hour ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

If any one misses being able to post animated gifs, simply extract each frame from the gif you wish to use and save them as allowable jpeg, or png image files. Post these images in sequence. CWDF users can print out each image and collate them in a stack of sheets in the correct order. Staple down the left hand edge, then quickly flick through the pages using the right hand edge to recreate the brief repeating movie effect.

An excellent solution, thank you.

I tried this but unfortunately a technical hitch in your suggestion has totally defeated me.

I don't have a printer in the boat. 

4 minutes ago, MtB said:

I tried this but unfortunately a technical hitch in your suggestion has totally defeated me.

I have similar issues as your self, well the lack of printer not the "other" issues, anyway I do have a lot of printer paper so I tried a dry run with blank paper, unfortunately the paper is not rigid enough for the suggested task.

I suggest the idea needs some modifications 

2 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

I suggest the idea needs some modifications 

A modification,

Scroll down the page on the screen with the individual frame images with one hand, then wave your other hand (assuming you have >1) in front of your eyes to act as a shutter. Time the frequency of the hand shutter with the screen scroll rate to give full motion video.

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

A modification,

Scroll down the page on the screen with the individual frame images with one hand, then wave your other hand (assuming you have >1) in front of your eyes to act as a shutter. Time the frequency of the hand shutter with the screen scroll rate to give full motion video.

Arrrrgh migraine 

20 minutes ago, MtB said:

Place sheets of thin paper over the screen for each frame. The backlight will allow you to trace each picture. You can then colour them in with as much detail as you want. Then stack them up and flip through. A fun evenings work to view each gif. That's the trouble with CWDF users these days. They want instant gratification and are not prepared to put in the work to properly appreciate each post.

• Greenie 1