Love heart in rudder

EllaGlssp

Featured Posts

Yes, but not just hearts. It is a hole to allow you to tie a rope on so if, when working on the rudder it falls out you can pull it back aboard. Most NB rudders just sit in a cup or hole at the bottom so if you manage to lift it without the tiller on it, it is likely to fall down.

I think I wouldn't bother much about the rudder cut out, but want to concern myself more about the tube that is pointing at an angle downwards.  Is this a raw water cooling outlet, (or perhaps even an exhaust)?  Either way, it seems to be in a very odd place to me.

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

I think I wouldn't bother much about the rudder cut out, but want to concern myself more about the tube that is pointing at an angle downwards.  Is this a raw water cooling outlet, (or perhaps even an exhaust)?  Either way, it seems to be in a very odd place to me.

I wondered about that too.

5 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Just a guess, but a draft excluder over a slot in a wheelhouse, associated with some sort of wheel steering linkage?

I was thinking that. The tube looks black enough to suggest it might be an exhaust, but a "broad narrowboat"? So it's a 'wide boat'?

12 hours ago, Derek R. said:

I was thinking that. The tube looks black enough to suggest it might be an exhaust

It might just be the quality of the photo, but to me it looked like a newly cut piece of tube with a shiney end. Perhaps Ella could enlighten us.

Tam

21 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

The heart is common, Gary Gorton boats all have them. The hole is handy for tying the rudder over when moored to stop it whanging about when boats pass ( too fast )

I've got a Garry Gorton boat. It has a heart in the rudder, and hearts at the bottom of the gas locker.

On 14/10/2022 at 21:04, Derek R. said:

I was thinking that. The tube looks black enough to suggest it might be an exhaust, but a "broad narrowboat"? So it's a 'wide boat'?

it’s an exhaust, yes. the boat is very undusual- somewhere between a dutch barge and a narrowboat. 9ft wide, with wheelhouse and a 9 horsepower gardner engine!

9 hp. Stay off the rivers! Unless they are quiet (not running). A single cylinder? I'm guessing the brush allows the movement of a quadrant attached to the rudder shaft to protrude without too much ingress of wind or water. Nice width for accommodation, but restrictive on waterways access. Good luck with it.

9 minutes ago, Derek R. said:

9 hp. Stay off the rivers! Unless they are quiet (not running). A single cylinder? I'm guessing the brush allows the movement of a quadrant attached to the rudder shaft to protrude without too much ingress of wind or water. Nice width for accommodation, but restrictive on waterways access. Good luck with it.

90 hp sorry (big difference haha). the engine is a gardner 4lw.

i’ve lived on a narrowboat in london for the past year and plenty have much bigger boats than this! she’s only 40ft long as well. she has a vintage astern/afoot throttle wheel as well as a big wooden steering wheel

cheers!

*correction*: it’s actually 60hp, still enough to be getting on with

Edited by EllaGlssp

3 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

In London on the GU?

No, Thames waters, further up river.

Managed to get West to Caversham and on one memorable journey to Southend-on-Sea.

That's her Wheel in my avatar.

Amicitia0017.JPG.a1424b21a89c12fa6a1cb815bf6c9fe8.JPG

Edited by Derek R.

On 14/10/2022 at 21:04, Derek R. said:

yes is a slightly wider beam narrowboat. a touch of dutch barge about her with the wheelhouse, bow thruster and bow roller

the pipe is an exhaust- agree it’s slightly oddly positioned, might get it changed eventually but according to survey not unsafe in non-tidal waters 

one of the most unusual parts is the vintage ahead / astern wheel to control propulsion, as well as the steering wheel01EF795A-E28A-47B3-90CC-8C5EC4CA53A7.jpeg.e7d998aec2b175ac960e97e1401e35aa.jpeg

Edited by EllaGlssp

Looks to me like the boats been sat with its back end lower in the water then it should.
If the boat was sitting proper with the heart visible above the water then the exhaust outlet would be at the usual height, wouldn’t it?

The pipe I guess is simply to clear fumes past the extended overhang. 

I like the wheels 👍

Edited by Goliath
  • Greenie 1