A totally new concept in Fire Extinguishers

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

50 Second Fire Safety Stick - The Lightest Most Compact Extinguisher (baysidemarine.co.uk)

The totally new FIRE EXTINGUISHER that every boat should have!

Have you got a fire extinguisher in your Boat / Yacht / etc ? 

Our pride and joys cannot be easily replaced by insurance!

Here’s the really amazing thing though, it leaves no mess and no residue from it at all. All powder and foam extinguishers leave such a mess that, regardless of the fire, your engine and bodywork could well be ruined as a result.

• Works on ALL major Fire Classes
  • Lasts far LONGER to fight the Fire
  • Leaves NO damaging mess or residue
  • Small & Light
  • Safe & Easy to use
  • No servicing or maintenance
  • 15 year shelf life

Edited by Alan de Enfield

12 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

thats that then!  :)

Nothing stopping you having one on board if you what in line with the powder extinguisher. Like everything in boating best to have two of everything. 🤪🤪could save a lot of cleaning up afterwards deploying the powder one.🤣🤣

Sounds a bit like snake oil but it seems there may be some real science behind it...

https://wrccontrols.com/pages/fire-safety-sticks-more-information

It doesn't fit into the conventional categories of pressurised liquid/power/foam/gas extinguishers which could be why it's not approved, even though it seems to work extremely well it doesn't tick any of the required boxes e.g. BSS.

Or it could all be bunkum, difficult to be sure... 😉

3 hours ago, Laurie Booth said:

Is it recognized by the safety scheme ? BSS ?

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

No

1 hour ago, robtheplod said:

thats that then!  :)

Not necessarily. We have a CO2 extinguisher, which also doesn’t count for BSS purposes. If we ever have another fire in the engine bay, I’d use it in preference to powder.

Guess it depends whether fire extinguishers are safety items, or just ticks in BSS boxes!

• Greenie 1

Just now, ditchcrawler said:

The best extinguishers I ever used were BCF

Agreed - in the RAF they were in every vehicle bolted on under the front seats.

They were just being 'phased out' (made illegal) when I did my Fire Fighting course and we had much fun discharging them to see how effectve they were.

Only if there is an exit.  If you have a fire at sea you had better be good at putting it out or you will be in for swimming practice/liferaft drills.

Fire Brigades tend  not to have much experience with boats.  Firstly, if there is no one inside then its is more about fire control than extinguishing. (Sensible move.)   Secondly  they tend to work on the principle of squirting plenty of water at anything hot.  OK in a house but that can result in a very unstable or sunk boat unless someone remembers to pump the water out as fast as it is being put in.

The RN nearly lost HMS Bristol to too much firefighting water insifde and I hear the USN got close with USS Bonhomme Richard, both alongside at the time of the fire.

N

Is this the same item "they cite it conforms to BS5597 standard on their website which I assume for the average consumer would give it some legitimacy but when you look that up it’s the standard for “non-refillable plastic aerosol dispensers”"

On 14/10/2022 at 14:59, Kudzucraft said:

Depriving the fire of oxygen is a sound idea. But looks like you have to get REALLY close to the fire. If it was a hot fire I don't see me getting that close. But as others have said, nothing wrong with two different methods on board.

Depriving the  people inside the boat of oxygen possibly not such a good idea .

However the fire stick could be  worth considering  especially for  use on an engine fire .

For the boat interior the water mist type seems best but must confess I have dry powder .

1 hour ago, 1st ade said:

Is this the same item "they cite it conforms to BS5597 standard on their website which I assume for the average consumer would give it some legitimacy but when you look that up it’s the standard for “non-refillable plastic aerosol dispensers”"

That standard is for the container  - not  specifically ; fire extinguishers  .

image.png.80a310a51bb910a082851a0c9e6a81dd.png

1 hour ago, MartynG said:

For the boat interior the water mist type seems best but must confess I have dry powder .

image.png.80a310a51bb910a082851a0c9e6a81dd.png

Having fitted loads of them to data centres I agree.

However the problem is they don't meet the BSS requirements. 

Water mist extinguishers are brilliant at putting fires out as soon as they start, they are usually triggered by smoke, heat and fire detectors. The BSS requirement is for putting out a "standard" wood fire which is already well alight.

51 minutes ago, cuthound said:

The BSS requirement is for putting out a "standard" wood fire which is already well alight.

Where is that stated in the BSS literature ?

I found this 

image.png.f84f13d441910a14a6373df2104f46e2.png

Would this  spray mist extinguisher not be acceptable?

image.png.c7bbd7c89669223ddf7c83aad28e392d.png

image.png.e694c11708ad0197ba303ee16b384249.png

Edited by MartynG

47 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Where is that stated in the BSS literature ?

I found this 

image.png.f84f13d441910a14a6373df2104f46e2.png

Would this  spray mist extinguisher not be acceptable?

image.png.c7bbd7c89669223ddf7c83aad28e392d.png

image.png.e694c11708ad0197ba303ee16b384249.png

It is to do with the rating, 5A/34B per extinguisher, 21A/144B in total for a boat of 11 metres and over..

A is for paper, wood and textiles, B for flammable liquids. Water mist extinguishers usually fail the A rating, which is time taken to put put a "standard" wood fire.

https://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/requirements-examinations-certification/non-private-boat-standards/part-6-fire-prevention-extinguishing-equipment/number-of-fire-extinguishers/

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

It is to do with the rating, 5A/34B per extinguisher, 21A/144B in total for a boat of 11 metres and over..

A is for paper, wood and textiles, B for flammable liquids. Water mist extinguishers usually fail the A rating, which is time taken to put put a "standard" wood fire.

https://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/requirements-examinations-certification/non-private-boat-standards/part-6-fire-prevention-extinguishing-equipment/number-of-fire-extinguishers/

Okay.. got it 

10 hours ago, BEngo said:

Only if there is an exit.  If you have a fire at sea you had better be good at putting it out or you will be in for swimming practice/liferaft drills.

Fire Brigades tend  not to have much experience with boats.  Firstly, if there is no one inside then its is more about fire control than extinguishing. (Sensible move.)   Secondly  they tend to work on the principle of squirting plenty of water at anything hot.  OK in a house but that can result in a very unstable or sunk boat unless someone remembers to pump the water out as fast as it is being put in.

The RN nearly lost HMS Bristol to too much firefighting water insifde and I hear the USN got close with USS Bonhomme Richard, both alongside at the time of the fire.

N

not quite, modern firefighting techniques have come a long way from from just pouring water in copious amounts, in fact quite the opposite. Training now involves, and has for a number of years, compartment cooling and the reduction of possible flashover and backdraught by pulsing water spray into the unburnt gases at ceiling level and allowing the steam from that initial attack to cool the gases and potentially extinguish the fire before entry by firefighters into that compartment. 

Fire and rescue services that also have a coastline as part of their area, ie Kent, Dorset, Suffolk etc also undergo firefighting training on ship fires, as do brigades who have an airport in their area undergo aircraft fire training as a back up for airport fire services who are the primary attack but do need back up from nearby stations.