Leeds and Liverpool opening.

Nightwatch

Featured Posts

As some have possibly seen, we are to be set free from Skipton. The locks are opening for, hopefully, 2 weeks, from Monday, to enable us to get below the Wigan flight and onto the Bridgewater Canal and all points South.

However Murphy law has kicked in. We are away until late Monday. In addition, our car is I for MOT repairs on Wednesday. We can then ‘zoom’ away once we have topped up victuals, fuel and coal.

Great news. Got to know Skipton intimately during the past few months.

• Greenie 1

47 minutes ago, jonathanA said:

Don't forget you still have to book to go thru poolstock locks to the Bridgewater or lock 86 towards scouse land on Tuesday or thursdays only.

Thank you for the reminder. I did actually realise.

Notice Alert

Leeds & Liverpool Canal
Location: Navigation Closure: Lock 1, Leeds to Lock 86, Wigan, Leeds & Liverpool Canal
Starts At: Lock 86
Ends At: Lock 1, River Lock

Monday 4 April 2022 10:00 until further notice

Type: Navigation Closure
Reason: Water resources

Update on 12/10/2022:

Due to recent improvements in the water levels within Winterburn & Slipper Hill Reservoirs, which feed the Leeds & Liverpool canal, we are now in a position to resume navigation with operating times from Lock 1, Leeds to Lock 85, Wigan from Monday 17 October. This week, our local teams will recharge the pounds along the lock flights and ensure the locks are ready for reopening.

The canal will remain open for a period of 2 weeks to give customers an opportunity to return to moorings for the winter, closing again on Monday 31 October, with last passage on Sunday 30 October. This is subject to the weather over the next 2 weeks, and if we are in a position to extend the opening period, further updates will be provided.  

From Monday 17 October, the following lock flights will be open from 10am to 4pm, daily:   

North West:

• Wigan Flight (65 to 85). Last passage at 12pm.
  • Johnsons Hillock Lock Flight (58 to 64). Last passage at 2:30pm.
  • Blackburn Lock Flight (52 to 57). Last passage at 2:30pm.
  • Barrowford Lock Flight (45 to 51).  Last passage at 2:30pm. 
  • Greenberfield Lock Flight (42 to 44).  Last passage at 3pm.

Poolstock Locks 1 & 2, Leigh Branch and Lock 86 on the Leeds & Liverpool canal will remain open to prebooked passages only, you can see more about this here:

Yorkshire & North East:

• Bank Newton Locks (36 to 41) Last passage at 3pm.
  • Gargrave (Holme Bridge Lock 30) Last passage at 3pm. 

Navigation through Bingley 3 & 5 Locks, and Newlay, Forge & Kirkstall will resume on Friday 14 October as per the following opening times:

Bingley Three & Five Rise:

Morning:

• Passages down the lock flights between 08:00-10:00, last entry at 09:00.
  • Passages up the lock flights between 10:00-12:00, last entry at 11:00.

Afternoon:

• Passages down the lock flight between 13:00-15:00, last entry at 14:00.
  • Passage up the lock flight at 15:00, only due to reduced daylight hours.

Newlay, Forge & Kirkstall:

• Locks will be available for self-operation between the hours of 08:00 and 15:00 daily. However, there will be roving lock keepers between Leeds & Newlay to offer assistance through the locks if required.

Lock 1, Leeds to Lock 6 will be open for passage without restriction.

Should customers find themselves approaching an empty pound during this navigational window, please contact our North West or Yorkshire & North East Customer Support Teams for assistance on 0303 040 4040

I'm a bit confused. The locks, including Wigan Flight are open for 2 weeks daily to enable boaters to escape. However, at the bottom of the Wigan Flight it's just open with booking from

• Mondays, 10am and 2pm
  • Thursdays, 10am and 2pm

I might be missing something but this sounds like not fully communicated chaos waiting to happen. 

8 hours ago, Ianws said:

I might be missing something but this sounds like not fully communicated chaos waiting to happen. 

No, you're not missing anything!

I have visions of half a dozen boats descending Wigan flight and being padlocked on the junction pound for a few days...

Realistically, the problems at Poolstock are mostly because the flight is closed.  When it reopens next week there will be plenty of water available for the junction so I think they'll just let boats transit.  

As they are hedging their bets about keeping it open after this fortnight they'll probably keep the booking system in place, but I suspect they will just allow you through.

Edited by TheBiscuits
spellink

10 hours ago, Ianws said:

I'm a bit confused. The locks, including Wigan Flight are open for 2 weeks daily to enable boaters to escape. However, at the bottom of the Wigan Flight it's just open with booking from

• Mondays, 10am and 2pm

Yep as biscuits says potential for boat gridlock at the junction pound !

Which is why I made comment and if you check the poolstock notice its only 10AM bookings they stopped the 2pm ones in August. 

At least they have stopped blaming it on vandalism.

10 hours ago, Ianws said:

• Mondays, 10am and 2pm

Please can someone tell the lightweights at C&RT that Poolstock is at the bottom of Wigan Flight

4 hours ago, jonathanA said:

I could understand 86 being included when Wigan  21 and poolstock were closed but seems  a bit unnecessary now.  

Not really as the current analysis indicates that lock 86 us a major part of the problem. It is currently ashed after the booked passages gave gone through.

17 hours ago, jonathanA said:

Current analysis by who ? 

Be interested to see where you are getting that info  from. 

I think a bit more openness from CRT would help boaters understand the issues. 

I did see a report published somewhere buf cannot recall where. However, my remark above was based on conversations we had with lockies when we passed through.

I do understand also that the whole situation is especially complex and only some if it is down to leaky gates.

Latest update 

Notice Alert

Leeds & Liverpool Canal
Location: Navigation Restriction: Lock 1, Leeds to Lock 86, Wigan, Leeds & Liverpool Canal
Starts At: Lock 86
Ends At: Lock 1, River Lock

Monday 4 April 2022 10:00 until further notice

Type: Navigation Restriction
Reason: Water resources

Update on 14/10/2022:

Following our update on the re-opening of the Leeds & Liverpool canal, to allow customers to return back to moorings for the winter, Poolstock Locks 1 & 2, Leigh Branch, and Lock 86 on the Leeds & Liverpool canal will open for passage from 10am till 4pm on Monday 17 October. This will also open for a period of 2 weeks, closing again on Monday 31 October, with last passage on Sunday 30 October.

Any customers with a current booking through Poolstock Locks and Lock 86 during this period will still be honoured, though passage will not be assisted, and alternatively, you are able to travel during the open period on an alternative day. Please contact our North West Customer Support Team on 0303 040 4040 should you have any queries regarding your booking.

Bookings through Poolstock Locks 1 & 2, Leigh Branch, and Lock 86 on the Leeds & Liverpool canal will then resume from Monday 31 October, on Mondays and Fridays only.

Please note, passage through these locks will be closed during the planned winter works to Lock 87, you can see more about this, here:

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices/22254-lock-87-wigan-flight-bottom-lock