Boat Gas-safe engineer needed - please help

Jak

Featured Posts

Cheers Alan. Probably.  But then I went to replace the LPG regulator. Bottle connection fine. But connection to boat side I can’t seem to get the correct fitting size.  Nothing is ever easy.  FFS, I am an IT contractor and not so pratical. Achieved a lot on 12v the electrics, but gas always throws up problems I didnt forsee…

1 hour ago, Jak said:

And no I do not have a bubble tester. What do we think, worth plumbing one in??

Yes. Although bubble testers are a PITA to use because they have to be in the gas locker, and they are less sensitive than the proper soundness test with a manometer, BSS examiners love them because the result from a bubble tester counts as valid for the BSS

Or for a lot less trouble you could buy yourself a proper digital manometer and test the system yourself. The test is reasonably straightforward. Two different tests actually that combine to create the whole soundness test. I can guide you through it if you're inclined to get to grips with soundness testing.

This one if you're feeling flush:

https://www.gasproducts.co.uk/testo-510-digital-differential-pressure-manometer.html?currency=GBP&msclkid=3406e47292c01954bc56873199a3c543

Or this one if you're not! 

https://www.gasproducts.co.uk/test-gear/pressure-meters-and-manometers/24-148-60-mbar-u-gauge.html

Second one is dead clumsy to use in comparison to the first. With both you'll need to buy a length of LPG resistant rubber hose too.

I had the same problem last year and found it before the BSS test. It was the taps, and the gas detector was sounding at a test from 3 of the hob injectors . I disassembled the gas rail, and each tap and liberally used the correct gas tap grease, reassembled and still the same. Gas grease really only works where the spindle is on a taper that can be drawn in to accommodate wear; the Vanette taps were just screwed flanges.

The big problem I had replacing the hob was modifying the hole in the worktop for the Thetford hob as the fixing screws wanted to go where the work top was cut out for the old hob, so I had to screw blocks in but making sure the holding screws did not impede the hob screws.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

If you are competent to plumb in a bubble tester you are quite capable of connecting up a cooker / hob,

But he has already said that the problem with that is that he has no way of knowing if he's connected the cooker properly!

OK. Looks like I’ve found a boat LPG guy. All your help is so very much appreciated as usual. I Will post again when I have an update.  Will probably be installing a new hob but with a professional to test and certificate before BSS retest. Damn thing is 20+ years old so has more than done its job!

15 minutes ago, bill brown said:

Our Vanette hob gave gave up the ghost last year and I when looking for a replacement this Thetford was the nearest in size I could find https://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/products/thetford-8-series-lpg-hob-unit-n480  I only had to make minor adjustments to the work surface to make it fit.

Nice one Bill. 

I had the same problem with my last BSS test.  The taps had seized during the winter and unseizing them caused the leaks.  The hob was no longer manufactured so parts were unavailable and it had to be replaced.  There were no hobs from anywhere with an appropriately sized cut-out.  The nearest was a zanussi which required finding someone capable of recutting our granite worktop in situ.  The cutout just fitted in the space with about 5mm spare.  Nightmare!!

14 minutes ago, NBDensie said:

The taps had seized during the winter and unseizing them caused the leaks.  The hob was no longer manufactured so parts were unavailable and it had to be replaced. 

Had a similar problem some years ago on a portable 2 burner Calor gas camping hob. I took the control valve apart and my Dad made up a replacement part on his lathe, which worked perfectly.  But not an option for most people!

Thanks all. My new gas safe guy and I have figured that rather than bodging up the 20+ year old Vanette, we are going to fit that Thetford 8.  Midland agree with Bill that its as close as we are likely to get to a modern swap in. So the Thetford 8 is on order and I’ve got my boat LPG expert. Happy days 😎

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Jak said:

Thanks all. My new gas safe guy and I have figured that rather than bodging up the 20+ year old Vanette, we are going to fit that Thetford 8.  Midland agree with Bill that its as close as we are likely to get to a modern swap in. So the Thetford 8 is on order and I’ve got my boat LPG expert. Happy days 😎

Excellent news and don't overlook selling the old one on ebay. Small boat/caravan LPG hobs are insanely expensive and someone, somewhere will be confident they can fix your old one! 

20 hours ago, NBDensie said:

There were no hobs from anywhere with an appropriately sized cut-out.  The nearest was a zanussi which required finding someone capable of recutting our granite worktop in situ.  The cutout just fitted in the space with about 5mm spare.  Nightmare!!

Quite a good argument against installing granite worktops. I've never really thought they were particularly suitable for boats, usually requiring quite a lot of ballast to rectify the list they create depending on location. On a widebeam less of an issue of course. But the holes cut for hobs and sinks are going to be sized right even many years after they were first installed and those units are no longer available. Very tricky.

On 09/10/2022 at 21:11, bill brown said:

Our Vanette hob gave gave up the ghost last year and I when looking for a replacement this Thetford was the nearest in size I could find https://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/products/thetford-8-series-lpg-hob-unit-n480  I only had to make minor adjustments to the work surface to make it fit.

That’s the type I used to replace my ancient (so old it had no FFDs) Vanette hob. I had to enlarge the worktop hole a little. The Thetford one is a bit “tinny” in comparison, but works OK. 

23 hours ago, AndrewIC said:

That’s the type I used to replace my ancient (so old it had no FFDs) Vanette hob. I had to enlarge the worktop hole a little. The Thetford one is a bit “tinny” in comparison, but works OK. 

Yes the Vanette was built like a tank in comparison but in the Thetfords favour it does have a flame failure device fitted, now a BSS requirement for new fittings.

• 3 weeks later...