Boat Gas-safe engineer needed - please help

Jak

Featured Posts

Hi all. Its been a while since posting, but I really do need some help. I’ve failed BSS with a gas leak. With the help of the examiner its been narrowed down to the Vanette gas hob. So am trying to find someone to fix/replace the leaking hob. Been looking at the gas safe register, but the only local company I found (should have said the boat is in Leighton Buzzard) listing boat LPG appliances is not able to help us.  

Please can anyone knowing of a boat gas appliances engineer contact me with details?  I need to get my BSS done!

Any help very much appreciated. Thanks, Jak. 

Did he try testing with the gas hob isolated? 

On natural gas systems in houses, small leaks are permissible on the system when the cooker is connected, but not when isolated. Well all appliances actually. There is a chart we use to look them up.

I used to be gas registered for boats but it's long since lapsed and I can't remember if this applies to LPG on boats as well. Might be worth asking the examiner to check.

All subject to there also being no smell of gas. 

Also, the quickest way to get it through the BSS is to just take the hob out and cap it. Or fit a new hob off the shelf from Midland Chandlers, say.

Thanks. Yes we isolated the hob and it is definately the source of the leak. The pressure drop is enough to fail BSS. I watched him test it 😕

Tony. Spot on, there is a special grease and my examiner agrees with you that greasing the burner valves is probably the solution. Problem is that I do’nt have the test equipment to know if the fix worked before I get the inspector back. So I really want a gas safe LPG engineer. 

Mike. Point taken. Will measure up and see what Midland have. The hob is ancient and a swap could be the easiest.  I suppose as a non expert I’d be concerned that the connections to my existing braided gas hoses are the same?

I’m also reading: PLEASE NOTE: Gas appliances should only be installed by a Gas Safe registered installer and in accordance with the manufacturers' instructions.

So I still get back to how to find that Gas Safe Boat guy 😕

4 minutes ago, Jak said:

I’m also reading: PLEASE NOTE: Gas appliances should only be installed by a Gas Safe registered installer and in accordance with the manufacturers' instructions.

So I still get back to how to find that Gas Safe Boat guy 😕

Live aboard or holiday boat? If the latter, so far, you only need to be "competent"., so basically can you safely make the joint to the boat system and check for leaks. Leak detection liquid should be good enough for that in the majority of cases. Otherwise, it is not hard to make your own manometer with a length of clear plastic tube, but there are techniques with the if you are to get a reliable test.

Have you been on the Gassafe website and looked for engineers endorsed LPG AND marine?

Tony. Your help appeciated as ever.  A holiday boat and will definately measure up and see if a new unit works.  Problem with the Gas Safe website, unless I am doing it wrong, is that you cant search for boat people. The only local firm I found said no.

I asking here because someone must have used a gas boat firm.  It can’t just be me??

5 minutes ago, Jak said:

Tony. Your help appeciated as ever.  A holiday boat and will definately measure up and see if a new unit works.  Problem with the Gas Safe website, unless I am doing it wrong, is that you cant search for boat people. The only local firm I found said no.

I asking here because someone must have used a gas boat firm.  It can’t just be me??

Not sure if it's occurred to you, but have you actually asked your BSS inspector if he would do it (replace the hob or re-grease the taps), given he knows enough about it to be testing them and its a holiday boat? 

The hardest bit about replacing a hob is chopping the worktop about to fit the new, larger hob. (They never match!) If you can do that bit, your BSS bod might be perfectly happy to connect up the pipe and then test it. 

If it fails again though, you'll know who to flame lol! 

Hi Mike. He says he can not/will not do it.  I did ask.

Short of getting that boat LPG engineer. And no one has yet let me know of one. The new hob sounds best. I’m sure I can manage the woodwork surgery to get it in and probaby to plumb it in too. Our old unit is probably 20 years old so it really does not owe me anything.  So sounds like it might be best to order a new one and give it a go.  But with the BSS due I’m tempted to pay a proper certified engineer if I could find one!

27 minutes ago, Jak said:

Tony. Your help appeciated as ever.  A holiday boat and will definately measure up and see if a new unit works.  Problem with the Gas Safe website, unless I am doing it wrong, is that you cant search for boat people

You seem to be correct and I have left a stinking survey for them. Maybe try contacting them by phone and asking tomorrow.

2 hours ago, Jak said:

Been looking at the gas safe register, but the only local company I found (should have said the boat is in Leighton Buzzard) listing boat LPG appliances is not able to help us.

I did a search on the GS Register for Leighton Buzzard, ticking Domestic and LPG and under Appliances ticking Cookers LPG in boats. I got 50 results and checking the services offered by the first few, all had a tick in the relevant box.

Not the most user-friendly of websites to search, but the info does appear to be there.

Edited by David Mack

6 minutes ago, Jak said:

Hey David. I do not see how to select by LPG in boats.  Is there any screen shot or more info you can send. Much appreciated. If it is just me being dumb please help!

On a laptop, you search for gas bods in your area, then there is an option to filter results by type of appliance

2 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I never found that screen.

Tony, I think you have to search in your area for everyone on the register first. Once you've done that, you get a screen offering you ways to filter the results by all those categories.

• Love 1

46 minutes ago, MtB said:

Tony, I think you have to search in your area for everyone on the register first. Once you've done that, you get a screen offering you ways to filter the results by all those categories.

I just got a load of "display" boxes with showing the entries with no obvious filter for marine or similar. I clicked on a few names and got a table with ticks and crosses showing what each can do. After looking at four I gave up. The OP seemed to find something similar. It looks like a typical site done by a web developer who has little idea about what customers need. Probably the specification Gas safe gave them was not detailed enough or Gas safe have little interest in serving minority interest users.

It might be the feed pipe connection into the hob. Turn its isolator on and dabble a drop of soapy water around it with a wee paint brush looking for bubbles. Twice I've found this, once on a stand alone oven and once on a hob after an examiner said it was the units themselves.

4 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I just got a load of "display" boxes with showing the entries with no obvious filter for marine or similar.

At the top of the results page it says "A list of potential businesses close to the location you provided is shown below, if you want to further refine the results you can use the options here."

Select LPG and then the filter is under "Appliance Type".