NEEVA Ad free browser, trialing this today, suggest it's worth a look

reg

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, alias said:

From those that don't want to read all of that article, the conclusion is this advice:

"If you don't want to be tracked by Google, it's easier to set DuckDuckGo as your default search provider and use an incognito Brave or Firefox window when you want to conduct a new search. DuckDuckGo doesn't track users, and adverts are contextual rather than tracking-based. When you close the window, all cookies will be flushed. If you're extra paranoid about your search terms, VPN subscriptions are pretty cheap."

And under their Ts and Cs you also contract out of your legal rights:

"Section 17a of the Neeva terms and conditions, the "Mandatory Arbitration of Disputes", stipulates that you are "waiving the right to a trial by jury or to participate in a class action".

In the event you're successful in arbitration, you've agreed that Neeva's liable to a maximum of $100 (or an amount paid for Services).

The exception to this rule is that Neeva can take you to court, seek injunctive, or other equitable relief if it deems that you've infringed or misappropriated its intellectual property rights."

I'm not sure that stands up under consumer law in the UK, but it would put you on the back foot if you tried.

Edited by David Mack

6 hours ago, MisterP said:

Very interesting seems they are not adverse to some tricks of the trade 

Certainly  saves me having to do any further research as this convinces me to drop it. 

Few points

Needs signup

Restricts your ability to sue them if necessary ( basically if we do wrong the maximum we can get is $100 no fault fine)

Requires card details for paid services 

No guarantee that free version will deliver a full valid service, simply making one feature  'clunky' could make the experience  uncomfortable. I suspect over time the gap between paid for and free services will widen.

On balance I will be removing Neeva and its associated account 

Thanks for the research gents validates to me my decision to raise it on here.

Edited by reg

3 hours ago, David Mack said:

"Section 17a of the Neeva terms and conditions, the "Mandatory Arbitration of Disputes", stipulates that you are "waiving the right to a trial by jury or to participate in a class action".

Interesting isn't it I wonder if that clause can be upheld in court

My interest is now purely academic.

3 hours ago, David Mack said:

I'm not sure that stands up under consumer law in the UK, but it would put you on the back foot if you tried.

Sorry David I didn't notice you had already asked tge same question. 

• 1 year later...

BELATED FOLLOW UP

NEEVA is now dead from June 2023

"Why is Neeva shutting down?

Neeva will shut down June 2. The ad-free search engine launched less than two years ago. Neeva's failure was due to its inability to attract enough users, the rise of generative AI and LLMs and the current economic environment, according to the company's founders, Sridhar Ramaswamy and Vivek Raghunathan.22 May 2023"