NEEVA Ad free browser, trialing this today, suggest it's worth a look

reg

Featured Posts

Heard about this new UK ad free and private browser thought I would give it a try, first impressions minimalist, very fast and joy unbounded returns results uncluttered and ad free.

First day of testing as just released in UK Sept 2022, lots to find out yet

Overall I think it is well worth having a look it's a joy to get search results returned without any advertisements at all.

NEEVA Ad free browser from Google playstore

This is completely unsponsored. I just like it.

Be interested in others opinions 

Hit first problem cannot find out how to open additional tabs not even sure its possible.

Problem resolved tab button at bottom of screen, needed a NEEVA account to get the required info.

Edited by reg

1 minute ago, Arthur Marshall said:

So where does it make its money?

I was wondering that too. 

But I notice from earlier posts you appear to have to register for 'membership' to use it. So right there, they are collecting data on you. 

My guess is once they've built up a decent user base, it will cease to be free to use. 

34 minutes ago, MtB said:

But I notice from earlier posts you appear to have to register for 'membership' to use it. So right there, they are collecting data on you. 

My guess is once they've built up a decent user base, it will cease to be free to use. 

It does say they collect personal data and browsing history - so they can improve the product. There's a definite twitch in my cynicism filter.

3 minutes ago, MtB said:

I have just found their website and the first FAQ says money comes from its Premier service in the US which offers "best i  class privacy tools and other insider benefits".

For reasons best known to them I am unable to copy the couple of paras to paste.

The website says they don't sell or share any members data with third parties.

https://neeva.com/

30 minutes ago, Jerra said:

The website says they don't sell or share any members data with third parties

Google could claim that because they themselves serve the adds to you (I think) on a variety of websites you visit. I also suspect that   they will claim that  such data gleaned from your use they sell on will be anomallised so again they can claim the same.

It does look a bit like spam doesn't it but it is from me. Very early days with it and much to discover. The thing I particularly like about it is the clean results you get from a query, nice plain relevant listings not cluttered up with adverts and paid for results. Also like the speed.

There are two versions premier and standard, as it stands I can find no reason to use the paid for premier version.

So far happy with the speed and clarity of the results.

Main concerns  at the momment are, although no data is shared i cannot find how much data is past back to NEEVA and what is done with the data passed back, certainly need to know if I am to continue with it.

My main concern with other browsers is the way the results have become so cluttered with advertising and, i imagine, paid for results. NEEVAS main benefit is that it seems to return relevant links rather than sponsored returns.

I suspect i will keep the free version as a secondary browser I strongly suspect that I wont be going for the montly paid version.

As ive said early days yet.

Details here

https://neeva.com/

Unfortunately does not appear compatible with Amazon Fire or the Amazon Silk browser

Edited by reg

3 minutes ago, George and Dragon said:

Neeva is the latest browser that claims not to track users. 

I've tried a few others and have settled on Brave which does everything I need without serving me ads. Details at brave.com for anyone who wants to check it out.

I don't want a different browser I am happy with the ones I use, what I want is a search engine to operate within the browser, like google does, but with no ads and no tracking.

35 minutes ago, Jerra said:

I don't want a different browser I am happy with the ones I use, what I want is a search engine to operate within the browser, like google does, but with no ads and no tracking.

Which is essentially what NEEVA is, designed and engineered by the ex head of Google Ads, brief details currently on BBC Red Button Tech section. He got tired of being asked to do the amount of tracking currently experienced in chrome using Google.

You can try the search engine from neeva.com homepage without using the browser. 

I also understand that it's possible to make NEEVA a preferred search engine,  have not tried that yet but instructions also neeva site

https://help.neeva.com/hc/en-us/articles/1500010567221

So far I like it but still using Chrome 

11 minutes ago, George and Dragon said:

Try duckduckgo. 

Got that and Adblock

9 hours ago, reg said:

Which is essentially what NEEVA is, designed and engineered by the ex head of Google Ads, brief details currently on BBC Red Button Tech section. He got tired of being asked to do the amount of tracking currently experienced in chrome using Google.

You can try the search engine from neeva.com homepage without using the browser. 

I also understand that it's possible to make NEEVA a preferred search engine,  have not tried that yet but instructions also neeva site

https://help.neeva.com/hc/en-us/articles/1500010567221

So far I like it but still using Chrome 

Thank you.  It was D & G saying it was "the latest browser" which threw me.

1 hour ago, hovrin said:

As I understand it Neeva is not a browser. It is a search engine which you can use from your present browser. I use Firefox and when I went to the Neeva website it offered me a Firefox add on.

A Neeva browser is available for mobile phones.  On computers you can go to their search page using any browser, or use an add on.

I have read that they will be adding VPN and password vault functionality to the browser version in their Premium (paid) offering. 

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, hovrin said:

As I understand it Neeva is not a browser. It is a search engine which you can use from your present browser. I use Firefox and when I went to the Neeva website it offered me a Firefox add on.

It is a bit confusing at the momment but Alias has explained it.

The developers of NEEVA are the ex SVP of Ads at Google and Ex head of monetization, so a decent track record

They seem to of got a bit disenchanted with the direction Google were taking, much like me, and decided to create their own search engine and browser.

I remember there was a short period of time when you could search online a get some decent results but nowadays the vast majority of the returns seem to be adverts or paid for returns. Total clutter obscuring valid returns.

Its also early days so it may be possible to influence future direction. The iOS version is already open source and as of  19 Sept 22 i believe the Android version is also OPEN SOURCE.

That has to be good news 

Editbto add

Its the browser that is open source.

Edited by reg

On 10/10/2022 at 09:10, Jerra said:

Thank you.  It was D & G saying it was "the latest browser" which threw me.

I apologise if I was wrong about that - my information came from the Today Programme on Radio 4 which may not be the most authoritative source of tech news.

On 10/10/2022 at 09:31, hovrin said:

On 10/10/2022 at 11:32, alias said:

A Neeva browser is available for mobile phones.  On computers you can go to their search page using any browser, or use an add on.

I have read that they will be adding VPN and password vault functionality to the browser version in their Premium (paid) offering. 

On 10/10/2022 at 12:32, reg said:

It is a bit confusing at the momment but Alias has explained it.

The developers of NEEVA are the ex SVP of Ads at Google and Ex head of monetization, so a decent track record

They seem to of got a bit disenchanted with the direction Google were taking, much like me, and decided to create their own search engine and browser.

I remember there was a short period of time when you could search online a get some decent results but nowadays the vast majority of the returns seem to be adverts or paid for returns. Total clutter obscuring valid returns.

I am properly confused. :( 

Somewhere (can't remember) I read that Chrome is the browser that is most likely to track/serve ads. 

All I know is that using Brave means I see no ads whatsoever unless they are actually part of the page I'm viewing.

51 minutes ago, MisterP said:

From those that don't want to read all of that article, the conclusion is this advice:

"If you don't want to be tracked by Google, it's easier to set DuckDuckGo as your default search provider and use an incognito Brave or Firefox window when you want to conduct a new search. DuckDuckGo doesn't track users, and adverts are contextual rather than tracking-based. When you close the window, all cookies will be flushed. If you're extra paranoid about your search terms, VPN subscriptions are pretty cheap."