RIP Magpie the Elder

magpie patrick

Featured Posts

Many of you will have known Magpie the Elder, although perhaps not by that name. Ian Moss, father to @1st ade and myself, was born in October 1933, in Chorley and died last night in Marple. Most will know him though his canal talks and his various activities with the IWA in the 1960's and as President of the Railway and Canal Historical Society in the 1990s (and why this is in History and Heritage) - Dad's interest in canals came from watching the coal boats on the Leeds and Liverpool as the sailed near the house he grew up in in Wheelton, and when he met mum, who had grown up near the L&L in Appley Bridge it was a match made in heaven, with early dates walking along Wigan Locks. As well as Canals MtE was passionate about railways, and when two of his pupils at the Verdin Grammar School wanted to raise funds to by an 8F in 1968, Dad acted as the responsible adult. It's thanks to Dad that I'm so heavily involved with canals

Mum and Dad's first boating holiday was in 1959, from Manchester to Barbridge, dad's last in 2018 from Great Bedwyn to Devizes on the K&A - a canal that didn't reopen until 41 years after their first trip! The picture below is dad steering the Bruce Trust boat on that holiday. Even being disabled and going into care didn't keep him down, Dad was one of the judges for the RCHS annual book awards in March this year.

Adrian saw Dad on Tuesday, and I saw him yesterday afternoon (5th October) - not long after I left I got a call from the care home to say he'd slipped away. The phone hasn't stopped ringing today with people who remembered him with a mixture of affection, esteem and approbation.  

Date of Funeral not known yet, but it will be at St Martins in Marple - PM me for details if you feel it would be appropriate

Dad 10.jpg

Never met him, but through you posts I knew the esteem and love in which you and your bro. held him. My sincere condolences.

May his final flight bring him peace and rest.

Edited by Athy

Sincere condolences  to you Patrick and Ade. I have known your father for about 50 years via Uncle Irv. He was always the fount of all knowledge concerning railways & canals particularly in the North West. I attended several of his nightschool classes  in Marple a few years ago featuring many of his vast collection of slides,he had a story to go with each one. A remarkable man ,who  will be sadly missed.

Patrick, you’ve always been so considerate in my times of loss, I do hope you are able to remember those words and know that we are thinking of you. The love, care and adventures you showed your Dad was amazing. Rest well Magpie Snr, and give yourself as much time as you need Patrick. As I’ve already said, I hope my son Allows me the same adventures. Much love from us. X

• Love 1