Locks R us on Kelpie

haggis

Featured Posts

What a nice morning . No rain and all 13 Farmers Bridge locks were in our favour ! We flew down in an hour and a half which is pretty decent timing. 

However, to level the playing field all Aston locks were against us but we progressed down them in reasonable time. 

We had a half plan to moor at Star City tonight but like all things boating it was flexible and we are now heading towards Curdworth. 

We haven't eaten out since Barbridge and come Hell or High water I want to eat out tonight. 

Any suggestions folks? 

Edited by haggis

Stop just before the Curdworth tunnel (there is good piling there) and walk up to Curdworth village. 2 good pubs, we ate in the Beehive last time which is down in the village.  Family run, was a bit chaotic with service, cheap but very friendly and seemed to be where the villagers were going, and the beer was Enville and very good. The other pub is the white horse on the main road. Chain pub and I think would be a bit more up market, but we didn't eat there this time. Did look nice though.

Have also stopped at the Cuttle Bridge, which looks like a motel. The problem with that one (or at least it was last year when we went there) is that it's where some of the HS2 workers go, so it was really busy. And the moorings outside are right by the main road so were a bit noisy, further down near the tunnel was much quieter.

Edited by gatekrash
  • Greenie 1

We usually carry on to the Dog and Doublet but have found they sometimes close the kitchen early so not guaranteed to still be cooking if you get there late.  The last time we arrived just before 8pm and were too late.

15 minutes ago, gatekrash said:

Stop just before the Curdworth tunnel (there is good piling there) and walk up to Curdworth village. 2 good pubs, we ate in the Beehive last time which is down in the village.  Family run, was a bit chaotic with service, cheap but very friendly and seemed to be where the villagers were going, and the beer was Enville and very good. The other pub is the white horse on the main road. Chain pub and I think would be a bit more up market, but we didn't eat there this time. Did look nice though.

Have also stopped at the Cuttle Bridge, which looks like a motel. The problem with that one (or at least it was last year when we went there) is that it's where some of the HS2 workers go, so it was really busy. And the moorings outside are right by the main road so were a bit noisy, further down near the tunnel was much quieter.

Thank you. That is helpful 

The White Horse is fine. It’s a Vintage Inn which is a step up from a Greene King or Marstons.

It’s about 50m from the bridge adjacent to Curdworth visitor moorings.

As it happens I’m currently heading toward Star City.

Edited by Captain Pegg

We have eaten in the White Horse several times but many years ago . Good to hear it is still in existence.

Met our first moving boat at the first of the Minworth locks and would have followed more closely if we hadn't got stuck coming out of the lock. Entertainment was provided by a youth jumping across the empty lock.

1 hour ago, Captain Pegg said:

The White Horse is fine. It’s a Vintage Inn which is a step up from a Greene King or Marstons.

It’s about 50m from the bridge adjacent to Curdworth visitor moorings.

As it happens I’m currently heading toward Star City.

Oh, it's a pity we changed our minds or we could have met another member of the forum 

5 hours ago, Rob-M said:

We usually carry on to the Dog and Doublet but have found they sometimes close the kitchen early so not guaranteed to still be cooking if you get there late.  The last time we arrived just before 8pm and were too late.

I usually stop at the Dog & Doublet. It is family owned and very dog friendly.

Edited by cuthound
To unmangle the effects of autocorrect.

59 minutes ago, cuthound said:

I usually stop at the Dog & Doublet. It is family owned and very dog friendly.

We didn't get as far as the Dog & Doublet but stopped in Curdworth and had an excellent meal in the White Horse. We decided that 27 locks was enough for today 😊.