PSW inverter recommendations

blackrose

Featured Posts

What are the recommendations for decent PSW inverters these days? I'm looking at about 2000w output to potentially run a 1600w washing machine. I'm assuming a bit of additional wattage capacity is required.

I can't really stretch to Victron prices so hopefully cheaper alternative brands are available with roughly equivalent performance, but obviously I don't want total cheap crap.

Edited by blackrose

1 hour ago, jonathanA said:

They are a bit marmite but worth looking at Mr sterling's products I would say. 

I have recently had a Sterling pure sine wave one fail terminally, (albeit only a 700W one).

It just reports that input  voltage is out of bounds, either too low or too high, but the flashing light unhelpfully doesn't say which. Voltage was as it should be, so the inverter lied.

It was not particularly cheap, and I would not buy from Sterling again.

• Greenie 1

9 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

I have recently had a Sterling pure sine wave one fail terminally, (albeit only a 700W one).

It just reports that input  voltage is out of bounds, either too low or too high, but the flashing light unhelpfully doesn't say which. Voltage was as it should be, so the inverter lied.

It was not particularly cheap, and I would not buy from Sterling again.

Have you contacted Sterling to see if it can be fixed or just reset? I sent them one of their alternator controllers adjusted to get a higher output voltage once. It was well out of warranty but they did it for free.

My 17 year old Sterling modified sine wave inverter has been very reliable but I'd like a PSW now.

I planned to buy a Stirling PSW inverter/ charger to power a similar washing machine. However, on the recommendation of my chandler, I bought a similar one from Photonic Universe because it was roughly half the price. It physically appears to be identical to the Stirling product and the manual seems to be almost word for word the same. 

The model I bought was the 3000w Low Frequency model which includes a 90amp charger (at the time it was only slightly more expensive than the 2000w model I had planned to buy). Two years on I'm very satisfied with it. 

Renogy seem to be a solid company. I currently have three of their charge controllers, four of their 100w solar panels and the 2000w inverter. I also have a 3Kw Victron inverter, which is built like a tank, rather than fit it, I bought the Renogy  2Kw, which is a lot lighter and a lot easier to find a place for.

2000W Inverter,Campervan Inverter,240V Inverter 12V|Renogy UK

Edited by Higgs

Thanks. That Renogy model might work for me as the connections seem to be in the same place as my Sterling 1800w MSW unit I'm getting rid of.

I'm thinking it will just be a straight swap. Take the fuse out of the 12v cables to isolate the Sterling inverter, disconnect all cables and remove the old inverter. Mount the new inverter, reconnect the cables and refit the fuse. 

As far as I'm aware my existing Sterling inverter AC output is neutral-earth bonded. Can I assume a replacement PSW inverter will be similarly configured? How can I check? Would it be in the product specs?

Edited by blackrose

1 hour ago, blackrose said:

As far as I'm aware my existing Sterling inverter AC output is neutral-earth bonded. Can I assume a replacement PSW inverter will be similarly configured? How can I check? Would it be in the product specs?

That isn't a safe assumption to make. A lot of inverters at the cheaper end are not neutral earth bonded. It may, or may not be in the product specs. Something it would be best to confirm with the seller that it is OK to do so, before making a neutral-earth connection yourself.

Quick and dirty test is to measure voltage L>E, N>E and L>N if there is 0v between N&E and 230v between the others  then there is a good chance it's N>E bonded.

However that is not 100% due to meters being high impedance  🤔

Longer test is to take a 25watt 230v bulb and do the same test. The lamp should be the same brightness on L>N and L>E, If it lights on the N>E test, even if it's a small glimmer, then it's not N>E bonded. If this test is done directly on the shore mains, under certain circumstances,  it is possible to get a glimmer, even though N>E is bonded at the power distribution. However on the output of an inverter it's OK.

The above is all from memory so I won't be held responsible for any inaccuracies.

Edited by Loddon

1 hour ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

That isn't a safe assumption to make. A lot of inverters at the cheaper end are not neutral earth bonded. It may, or may not be in the product specs. Something it would be best to confirm with the seller that it is OK to do so, before making a neutral-earth connection yourself.

Interestingly, my recently purchased 600W PSW Sunshine Solar inverter has a rocker switch to bond neutral to earth, or leave it floating.

I'm not sure why they would be giving me the choice. The manual does not explain! 

Edited by MtB
Speeling.

3 minutes ago, MtB said:

Interestingly, my recently purchased 600W PSW Sunshine Solar inverter has a rocker switch to bond neutral to earth, or leave it floating.

I'm not sure why they would be giving me the choice. The manual does not explain! 

I believe neutral-earth bonding varies per country. Belgium household wiring doesn't do it, for example.