Fittings for acrylic sheet

RickS

Featured Posts

I want to fit acrylic sheet to cover the frame of the Houdini hatch but need suggestions for fittings.

As I only really want it for 6 months of the year, I don't think screwing straight into the frame would do it much good if the screw was taken out and put back in a lot (admittedly only a couple of times per year).

I am hoping there is something like a threaded tube that stays in the wooden frame permanently and a screw/bolt with a domed washer can fit into that - but I have no idea what that might be called. I did try explaining it to someone at Screwfix, but got a bit of blank look.

Any suggestions please?

Thanks

No, I think he means Insert Nuts that seem to screw into the wood, although I would give them a dab of glue.

To be honest I can't see why screwing into a decent wood and unscrewing a few times a year should cause problems and if it diid then revert to inset nuts. Google for suppliers in the size you want. Screwfix only seem to do 6mm.

Alternatively, countersunk steel screws in to the wood, so the head is flush with the surface, then a Neodymium magnet on the other side of the acrylic sheet to hold it in place. Holes in perspex can be the site of cracks starting and this avoids them. Inset nuts, or just plain screws in to the wood, as @Tony Brooks says will work fine though.

• Greenie 1

Thankyou all - hugely grateful to all of your suggestions.

I may well try just screwing into the wood frame Tony, then Insert Nuts if it starts to be an issue.

I would use magnets but I am not sure whether they would be strong enough to maintain a good seal as they have to contend with a curved ceiling - I am fairly sure the frame also curves with the ceiling rather than being built level (if you see what I mean).

I hear what you are saying about acrylic cracking Jen - hadn't really considered that. I think thick-ish rubber washers may well help

Bit puzzled why Screwfix didn't come up with the Insert Nuts and the link from Hudds Lad as Screwfix obviously stock these items. I am going to guess that I clearly need to work on my explanation skills rather than blaming Screwfix.

Thanks again. Yet another reason why this forum is a fantastic resource, particularly to novices 😀

Thanks Chris with the magnetic strip suggestion - again, I'm not sure it will deal with the curvature. I will be using this sort of thing on the windows though.

Edited by RickS
Update

On 03/10/2022 at 19:22, RickS said:

…………

Bit puzzled why Screwfix didn't come up with the Insert Nuts and the link from Hudds Lad as Screwfix obviously stock these items. I am going to guess that I clearly need to work on my explanation skills rather than blaming Screwfix.

……

Quite a few of the staff have no idea of what they stock, they get the item from the rack address the computer tells them. 

As the subject of magnetics has cropped up, some care should be used. I speak from experience. Magnetic strips and neodymium magnets should be disturbed frequently; they have a habit of sticking like concrete to some paint, and probably varnish. Adjust them daily or every few days.  

43 minutes ago, Higgs said:

As the subject of magnetics has cropped up, some care should be used. I speak from experience. Magnetic strips and neodymium magnets should be disturbed frequently; they have a habit of sticking like concrete to some paint, and probably varnish. Adjust them daily or every few days.  

Neodymium magnets will slowly break up when wet, so they are nickel plated to make them waterproof.  That said, some of the cheap one have a porous nickel and the magnets will fail after a few years, so do check from time to time and replace if corroded.

You need a TERF or two.

Used them at work, excellent items.

Must replace the screws on my skylight soon.

TERF® M4 (4mm) X 10mm Wood Insert Hex Socket Nuts Threaded Insert Flanged Hex Socket (Type D) Nut For Wood Timber Furniture Carpenter DIY and Many Project - Pack of 10 https://amzn.eu/d/cu1Elky

33 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

Neodymium magnets will slowly break up when wet, so they are nickel plated to make them waterproof.  That said, some of the cheap one have a porous nickel and the magnets will fail after a few years, so do check from time to time and replace if corroded.

I've a selection of magnetic strip and neodymium magnets. Yes, they do start to deteriorate outside, but you could dress them in silicon. I find them useful around the boat. Just finished fitting the main solar panels and have managed before these were fitted with some cheap flexible ones with magnets I've attached. Made the mistake of putting them 'naked' on some freshly hardened roof paint. Luckily, the paint was tough, but did suffer a little, trying to pry the magnets off. 

Edited by Higgs

1 hour ago, Higgs said:

having spent 50 years in the construction industry I am enlightened to find only now that concrete sticks to paint.  😲

perhaps faeces and shovel is what you wanted to say but daren't.  😎

Edited by Murflynn

2 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

having spent 50 years in the construction industry I am enlightened to find only now that concrete sticks to paint.  😲

perhaps faeces and shovel is what you wanted to say but daren't.  😎

Bird sh!t is the bee's knees.