Davids

Featured Posts

41 minutes ago, BEngo said:

Termites?

Looks like the metal was thin and/or the burner  slightly off position

so the flame was imprinting.

MtB may have a better-informed opinion.

N

I'm inclined to agree. Looks like some serious flame impingement. I presume the OP had it serviced at 12 and 24 months old but nothing was picked up or noticed? And was it installed in the first place by someone qualified? 

Frankly, it looks to me like lack of maintenance but I could be wrong. I'm also curious as to which Bosch water heater it is and where it came from, and what gas supply specification the data plate says it is suitable for. Don't think I've never encountered a Bosch water heater here in the UK. I wonder if it might have been made for use in some weird country, not the UK. 

Cheers chaps.

It was installed by a qualified person. 

To my eye it wasn't mounted off vertical and the boat isn't tilted.

It's a water heater for the sink and shower, not an engine heater. The only maintenance done is removing the cover, vacuuming out the dust and flushing it with limescale remover,  every 6 months or so, 

It was purchased from, and recommended by, a reputable boat yard. They did say it was new to the market.

20221003_104301.jpg

20221003_104123.jpg

3 hours ago, Davids said:

Cheers chaps.

It was installed by a qualified person. 

To my eye it wasn't mounted off vertical and the boat isn't tilted.

It's a water heater for the sink and shower, not an engine heater. The only maintenance done is removing the cover, vacuuming out the dust and flushing it with limescale remover,  every 6 months or so, 

It was purchased from, and recommended by, a reputable boat yard. They did say it was new to the market.

20221003_104301.jpg

20221003_104123.jpg

Ok thanks for the further info. A brief Google suggests this water heater is not available to buy in the UK, or at least no-one is advertising it. Quite a few boiler spares firms listing parts though, so I more inclined to think it is discontinued rather than new to the market. 

Do you have a link for the manual for it perhaps? 

42 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

You may be able to buy a new heat exchanger.

Yes quite likely. But I think it would be a good eye deer to fix flame impingement on the old one at the same time, or the new one will promptly burn through too.

18 hours ago, MtB said:

Ok thanks for the further info. A brief Google suggests this water heater is not available to buy in the UK, or at least no-one is advertising it. Quite a few boiler spares firms listing parts though, so I more inclined to think it is discontinued rather than new to the market. 

Do you have a link for the manual for it perhaps? 

Interesting thanks. Sorry I don't have a link to hand but shall add it when I do.

17 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

You may be able to buy a new heat exchanger.

Think I'm just going to bite the bullet and get a new one. 

Any thoughts on the Cointra range?

Thanks all

David

3 minutes ago, Davids said:

Any thoughts on the Cointra range?

I was just looking at those earlier. Good product, I'd say. Morco are a good company to deal with should you need tech support, unlike Bosch who provide none in the UK as far as I know. £187 here:

https://www.gasproducts.co.uk/caravan-marine/caravan-marine-gas-water-heaters/cointra-6-litres-per-minute-gas-water-heater.html

And I notice it has gone up ten quid since I was looking at it at 2am today. My other tab showing it says £177! 

2 minutes ago, MtB said:

I was just looking at those earlier. Good product, I'd say. Morco are a good company to deal with should you need tech support, unlike Bosch who provide none in the UK as far as I know. £187 here:

https://www.gasproducts.co.uk/caravan-marine/caravan-marine-gas-water-heaters/cointra-6-litres-per-minute-gas-water-heater.html

And I notice it has gone up ten quid since I was looking at it at 2am today. My other tab showing it says £177! 

Thanks, much appreciated.