Water Pump cutoff

Featured Posts

Hi All

As its getting near winter we tend to run the water tanks as low as they will go (toilet & main tank)... the danger of this is we often run out whilst having a shower etc and its a dash to find the isolator on the fuseboard etc.... so, I'm thinking about getting a few 12v 20A switches and putting one on the main and one on the toilet pump - in the skirting board next to each, probably with a LED in so we can also see a live indicator. This makes isolating easier plus both pumps are on the same circuit so it then allows me to turn off just the one.

Can anyone see any issues with this - BSS etc or does the plan sound ok??

thanks!! :)

rob

Sorry sounds like an unnecessary complication to me.  

I don't understand why you would run the main tank so low it might actually run out... not sure what the toilet tank is, but maybe that is more susceptible to frost, does it actually matter if that one runs dry? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/10/2022 at 15:20, robtheplod said:

Hi All

As its getting near winter we tend to run the water tanks as low as they will go (toilet & main tank)... the danger of this is we often run out whilst having a shower etc and its a dash to find the isolator on the fuseboard etc.... so, I'm thinking about getting a few 12v 20A switches and putting one on the main and one on the toilet pump - in the skirting board next to each, probably with a LED in so we can also see a live indicator. This makes isolating easier plus both pumps are on the same circuit so it then allows me to turn off just the one.

rob

I have a standard 240 volt flush light switch to isolate my water pump, its only lasted 20+ years so far. Its mounted on the kick board below the galley cupboard doors 

As its getting near winter we tend to run the water tanks as low as they will go (toilet & main tank)... 

This is where my comprehension began to fail. I don't understand the link between seasonal change and running the water tank low. I'm not sure what a toilet water tank is either? The basic premise of this post isn't clear to me.

Most of a water tank is usually below the waterline and so, at least partly, protected from gentle frosts.  If you keep the tank nearly empty the water level is going to be below  canal level and will not freeze.

I assume the OP has a pump out which is flushed from it's own tank  so depending on position the same principle applies.

N

• Greenie 1

Hi All

rob

If your concern is the pumps running dry you might be worried about nothing  as  some can run dry with no issues (other than waste of electrical energy)

Thanks for all the replies..

yes the pumpout has its own water tank - i dont think this is very common as our surveyor was surprised by it...

we like to keep all tanks as low as possible in winter (we are not liveaboards) so often run out which currently means i have to isolate both pumps until i fill up the one thats emptied..... I've done it now on the main pump and it works well, with a light on the switch so i can also see at a glance if the pump circuit is live

"unnecessary complication" is also my middle name... :)

On 16/10/2022 at 15:05, robtheplod said:

we like to keep all tanks as low as possible in winter (we are not liveaboards) so often run out

Translation: "we like to keep our water tanks too low".

Perhaps try keeping them as low as practicable, all things considered, which is a different level? 

On 16/10/2022 at 15:05, robtheplod said:

"unnecessary complication" is also my middle name... :)

"KISS" is mine. 

Keep It Simple, Stupid.

• Greenie 1