Kelpies travels

haggis

Featured Posts

How refreshing amidst all the recent tales of soaring prices, ill-mannered boors and no bloomin' water: a post which celebrates the sheer simple pleasure of being on a canal. More, please"

24 minutes ago, haggis said:

Kelpie is out and about again ! Drove down in lovely sunshine on Thursday and stopped in middlewich overnight. Forecast for Friday was lots of rain and it was right . Not a pleasant day to be boating but it was lovely to stop in Barbridge and get out of the wet clothes. Today was a lovely sunny day and we stopped in Audlem for water and to dump the rubbish but decided it was too early to stop so carried on and we are moored wild between Audlem and Adderley. Almost all locks were against us but they are such lovely quick locks that we just engaged our normal locking practice. Mind you the old legs and muscles aren't used to this much activity in a day but I enjoyed it. 

You know you’re only a day away from one of the best pubs on the system?

🍺

Edited by Goliath

Great to see you out and about again Mrs H, and it stayed very nice for most of the day too, apart from that slight breeze 🤣.

This year I'm aiming to cover more than 300 yards before you pass me on your return journey! 

1 hour ago, Athy said:

How refreshing amidst all the recent tales of soaring prices, ill-mannered boors and no bloomin' water: a post which celebrates the sheer simple pleasure of being on a canal. More, please"

Thank you ! I was going to mention how nice it was to be welcomed like old friends by the volunteers at Middlewich but I thought that might be controversial :-). They recognised us as we have been through these locks quite often and they were interested to hear about our trip to Standedge. 

22 hours ago, Goliath said:

You know you’re only a day away from one of the best pubs on the system?

🍺

But will it be open ? We have tried to visit it a few times over the years but it is always shut

Well this was a first ! I have been to the Anchor and it was open . It is as everyone said, a pub with character. 

Up Auderley and Tyrley today in lovely sunshine with every lock against us. I had forgotten how lovely this stretch is and  Woodseaves wasn't as gloomy as I remember . I know there has been a big landslide and a lot of clearing has been done and it is a big improvement. 

One thing I notice is that the trees down here haven't really started to get their autumn colours while at home there is much  evidence of autumn. 

• Greenie 1

23 hours ago, haggis said:

I had forgotten how lovely this stretch is and  Woodseaves wasn't as gloomy as I remember . I know there has been a big landslide and a lot of clearing has been done and it is a big improvement. 

I came through there a couple of weeks ago and set my new record for meeting on coming boats- six in all which I thought was fairly impressive 😀

49 minutes ago, PaulJ said:

I came through there a couple of weeks ago and set my new record for meeting on coming boats- six in all which I thought was fairly impressive 😀

We only met one and he was across the canal ! Looked like he was trying to stop to pick up some of his crew who were walking and "lost it ". 

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, haggis said:

We only met one and he was across the canal ! Looked like he was trying to stop to pick up some of his crew who were walking and "lost it ". 

My first three were close together as number one panicked and stopped dead about half a mile away , 2 and 3 then caught up and mayhem ensued as everyone tried to find a wider bit 😀

It was great-everyone had a laugh and no collisions or  grumpiness involved.