Interior paint

ragged Roy

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, ragged Roy said:

What sort of paint do I need to paint the interior of my narrowboat,  it is wood 

Welcome to the forum, Roy.

Has the wood been painted before? If not, you might consider varnishing it.

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

Of paramount importance to make the boat saleable in the future, is , to paint it a premium shade of London white.

I was waiting to see who would say it first.:D

Roy, welcome to Mrsmelly's sense of humour!

My boat had a rough coarse ply which was difficult both to smooth and to cover, it took up to eight coats of white! , but now I know better!

Sand to 80 grit, maybe 120. Clean off grease and dust with quick sponge with dilute sugar soap then water.

Prime, light sand, undercoat, maybe two, maybe light sand.

Top coat,, maybe another. By this time you should have a fairly good coverage, fairly smooth. If you want it white you might need two undercoats.

I used zinsser coloured under the gunnels.

Above gunnels satin white from Wilko 750ml,two tins , needs two coats, it depends what you can get sometimes. I think zinsser much better coverage 

the zinsser all coat exterior satin has 15 year guarantee, 1 litre tins are handy. I think two litres did all under gunnels I have a  turquoise in main cabin, and a lighter colour elsewhere. Engine room Wilko blue grey 75ml.

Edited by LadyG

Matt’s and Eggshell are always easier to apply then gloss and look more suited to interior walls. I’ve done the same colour using different shades, darker(under gunwale) medium(above) and light to roof, keeping the wood trim if you wish. I’ve found Dulux/Crown offer the best value and colour range and as said a suitable primer is best. No point in buying really expensive designer paint, as you may not like it after a few weeks and may want to try a different colour scheme.

Edited by PD1964